Came into the 21st century.

Sniper8052(L96A1)

Guest
Yesterday I took my first ride in 21st century fabrics, oh deep joy. I
have pretty much always just used T-shirts and shorts but yesterday I
did a little jaunt and, thanks to some discarded cycle squad kit, wore
one of those fancy wicking T-shirts, after 40 miles I arrived home in a
markedly sweeter smelling disposition than is normal and I would say in
a better physical condition. Has anyone else used a new piece of simple
kit that has made a noticeable difference to their cycling enjoyment?
Maybe it's time to swop from trainers...

Sniper8052

Sniper8052(L96A1) came up with the following;:
> Yesterday I took my first ride in 21st century fabrics, oh deep joy. I
> have pretty much always just used T-shirts and shorts but yesterday I
> did a little jaunt and, thanks to some discarded cycle squad kit, wore
> one of those fancy wicking T-shirts, after 40 miles I arrived home in a
> markedly sweeter smelling disposition than is normal and I would say in
> a better physical condition. Has anyone else used a new piece of simple
> kit that has made a noticeable difference to their cycling enjoyment?
> Maybe it's time to swop from trainers...

The difference from 'normal' pedals to toe-straps was great. The difference
from toe-straps to spd's was sublime. ;)

I've now gone back to flat pedals, but with a very aggressive outer cage for
as much grip as possible for off-roading. My Cruciate Ligament doesn't work
well in my left knee and straps or spd's became a bit of a chore .. my lower
leg flexes forward (hyper-extends) so pulling my knee back is a big no-no,
as is twisting out. Even walking/turning on the spot can cause agony if my
foot doesn't slip/slide around with my leg ... ;)

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote:

> Yesterday I took my first ride in 21st century fabrics, oh deep joy. I
> have pretty much always just used T-shirts and shorts but yesterday I
> did a little jaunt and, thanks to some discarded cycle squad kit, wore
> one of those fancy wicking T-shirts, after 40 miles I arrived home in a
> markedly sweeter smelling disposition than is normal and I would say in
> a better physical condition. Has anyone else used a new piece of simple
> kit that has made a noticeable difference to their cycling enjoyment?
> Maybe it's time to swop from trainers...

I recently got a headband from Lidl. It was part of the walking equipment
sale. A great improvement from cycling bare headed, no sweat in the eyes,
and no overheating from having a hat on. Proper cycling gear always makes
for a more comfortable ride over those sort of distances.

Trainers? You'll be telling us you use toe-straps next! Time to make another
step into the 21st century and buy some clipless pedals and the relevant
shoes.
--
Chris

"Don't stop to stomp ants when the elephants are stampeding."

Chris Slade wrote:

> Trainers? You'll be telling us you use toe-straps next! Time to make another
> step into the 21st century and buy some clipless pedals and the relevant
> shoes.

Yep, we haven't had a first clipless tumble tale related to us in a
while ;-)

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

Tony Raven wrote:

> Yep, we haven't had a first clipless tumble tale related to us in a while ;-)

Has anyone else here never had one?

--
Eiron

No good deed ever goes unpunished.

Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote:
> Yesterday I took my first ride in 21st century fabrics, oh deep joy. I
> have pretty much always just used T-shirts and shorts but yesterday I
> did a little jaunt and, thanks to some discarded cycle squad kit, wore
> one of those fancy wicking T-shirts, after 40 miles I arrived home in a
> markedly sweeter smelling disposition than is normal and I would say in
> a better physical condition.

Advantages well worth the disadvantage of being labelled a 'lycra
lout'!

Proper cycling shoes and clipless pedals really do offer significant
benefits, so I would go for those next. Get MTB style ones you can
still walk in the shoes and can also clip in whatever the orientation
of the pedal. My fave piece of kit is my Assos winter jacket. Thanks
to clever design (windproof on the front of the chest and arms,
'roubaix' fabric elsewhere so your sweat evaporates away) you can ride
in the middle of winter with just an under-jersey on and stay warm
whilst not cooking on the climbs. I am always amazed how well it does
the job.

On Mon, 29 May 2006 08:33:25 GMT, "Sniper8052(L96A1)"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Yesterday I took my first ride in 21st century fabrics, oh deep joy. I
>have pretty much always just used T-shirts and shorts but yesterday I
>did a little jaunt and, thanks to some discarded cycle squad kit, wore
>one of those fancy wicking T-shirts, after 40 miles I arrived home in a
>markedly sweeter smelling disposition than is normal and I would say in
>a better physical condition. Has anyone else used a new piece of simple
>kit that has made a noticeable difference to their cycling enjoyment?
>Maybe it's time to swop from trainers...
>
>Sniper8052

A fleece headband which kind of "swoops" down to cover my lugs has
transformed frosty mornings from painful to tolerable. The band fits
nicely under a kona stretchy baseball cap giving a combo that doesn't
cause overheating, as a benny hat tends to, but keeps my mighty flaps
comfortable.

On Mon, 29 May 2006 10:27:28 +0100, Eiron <[email protected]> wrote:

>Tony Raven wrote:
>
>> Yep, we haven't had a first clipless tumble tale related to us in a while ;-)

>Has anyone else here never had one?

I never had one. Had plenty since whilst riding tricky technical
descents/ascents though!
--
http://www.addict-racing.com

Eiron wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
>
>> Yep, we haven't had a first clipless tumble tale related to us in a
>> while ;-)

> Has anyone else here never had one?

Not as such. Had one episode when some b*****d did the tension screws
up to max when I was shopping. Had difficulty but eventually got into
them but couldn't get out. The rest have been legitimate mountain
biking falls.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

"Sniper8052(L96A1)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
Has anyone else used a new piece of simple
> kit that has made a noticeable difference to their cycling enjoyment?

The switch from triangular sandwich packs to baguettes, fajitas and sushi
boxes means I can carry my dinner in the rear pockets of my jersey.

1st pocket - minidisc
2nd pocket - food
3rd pocket - wallet

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Simon Mason wrote:

> The switch from triangular sandwich packs to baguettes, fajitas and sushi
> boxes means I can carry my dinner in the rear pockets of my jersey.
>
> 1st pocket - minidisc
> 2nd pocket - food
> 3rd pocket - wallet

Phone?

Not sure about sushi after it has been bounced around in a warm back
pocket for a few hours and where do you put the skillet and stove for
the sizzling fajitas?

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

in message <[email protected]>, Sniper805
(L96A1) ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Yesterday I took my first ride in 21st century fabrics, oh deep joy. I
> have pretty much always just used T-shirts and shorts but yesterday I
> did a little jaunt and, thanks to some discarded cycle squad kit, wore
> one of those fancy wicking T-shirts, after 40 miles I arrived home in
> a markedly sweeter smelling disposition than is normal and I would say
> in
> a better physical condition. Has anyone else used a new piece of
> simple kit that has made a noticeable difference to their cycling
> enjoyment? Maybe it's time to swop from trainers...

Proper cycling shoes are the biggest. But even simple track-mitts are
wonderful. I also held out against Lycra for literally years, and now
wish I hadn't.

:: Wisdom is better than weapons of war ::
:: Ecclesiastes 9:18 ::

> Simon Mason wrote:
>>
>> The switch from triangular sandwich packs to baguettes, fajitas and sushi
>> boxes means I can carry my dinner in the rear pockets of my jersey.
>>
>> 1st pocket - minidisc
>> 2nd pocket - food
>> 3rd pocket - wallet
>>

> Phone?

I must be the only person in this country who has never owned a mobile phone
at all - I've never had the need for one. In the last 5 years I must have
used a public phone box only once - far too infrequent to warrant a mobile.

Why on earth you see people in supermarkets going up and down the aisles
asking if the person on the other end wants the 500g tin of beans instead of
two 250g ones as it's 2p cheaper beats the hell out of me. Just buy the
flaming thing!

> Not sure about sushi after it has been bounced around in a warm back
> pocket for a few hours and where do you put the skillet and stove for the
> sizzling fajitas?

I meant the cold wraps, rather than the restaurant fajitas- at Waitrose you
can even get a wrap with sushi as the filling. Wait until 1700 on a Saturday
and you can get a 6 quid box of sushi for a couple of quid.

It's only a 30 mins ride from one fridge to another, so it's not too bad.

--

Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote:
> Yesterday I took my first ride in 21st century fabrics, oh deep joy. I
> have pretty much always just used T-shirts and shorts but yesterday I
> did a little jaunt and, thanks to some discarded cycle squad kit, wore
> one of those fancy wicking T-shirts, after 40 miles I arrived home in a
> markedly sweeter smelling disposition than is normal and I would say in
> a better physical condition. Has anyone else used a new piece of simple
> kit that has made a noticeable difference to their cycling enjoyment?
> Maybe it's time to swop from trainers...
>
> Sniper8052

1. Cycling jersey, £2.50 from Aldi - no more sweat stains!

2. Proper cycling shoes - you'll wonder how you ever did without 'em. My
Shimano M072's are great and you can still walk on them - just beware
wet decking!

3. SPD pedals...err, OK I haven't bought 'em yet but I've run out of
pocket money this month...

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

> Yep, we haven't had a first clipless tumble tale related to us in a
> while ;-)

A short while ago I bought a Specialized Tricross (after some very useful
advice here). I'd experimented for a month or so with some cheap Aldi
clipless pedals, so I bought some nice new Eggbeaters for the new bike
and have been very pleased with them (simple mechanism, easy to clip in
and out, no need for tension adjustment). I'd had one minor clipless
tumble, but suspected it didn't count as noone was watching.

I went with some friends to a local town event, the Waendel Weekend,
which is 3 days of walking, cycling and street entertainment. The
cycle ride was a very leisurely 26 miles with many checkpoints,
with extended stops for drinks, cake, hotdogs and picnics.

On arriving at one of these checkpoints, I took the wrong side of a
village green and suddenly found I had a rather steep curve to mount.
Not wanting to buckle my shiny new wheel I unclipped left, stopped,
and dismounted right. Not ideal. Still trying to save the scratches
I dived to the ground and rolled right onto my back like an upturned
beetle, much to the concern of the nearby picnickers.

Fortunately, only my dignity was harmed. And I'm hoping the next
emergency dismount will be a little more graceful !

-adrian

Simon Mason wrote:

> Why on earth you see people in supermarkets going up and down the aisles
> asking if the person on the other end wants the 500g tin of beans instead of
> two 250g ones as it's 2p cheaper beats the hell out of me. Just buy the
> flaming thing!

Well, if you've been seduced by a salesman into buying the ten gazillion
free minutes a month package and you've got nothing to talk about, you
have to find some way of using them up or admit you wuz dun ;-)

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote:
> Yesterday I took my first ride in 21st century fabrics, oh deep joy. I
> have pretty much always just used T-shirts and shorts but yesterday I
> did a little jaunt and, thanks to some discarded cycle squad kit, wore
> one of those fancy wicking T-shirts, after 40 miles I arrived home in a
> markedly sweeter smelling disposition than is normal and I would say in
> a better physical condition. Has anyone else used a new piece of simple
> kit that has made a noticeable difference to their cycling enjoyment?
> Maybe it's time to swop from trainers...

My list of things which have made a difference over the years:
Clipless pedals - which means cycling shoes too.
Clear glasses for the gnats to trampoline on in the early evening (the
£2.99 Tchibo ones are my favourites).
A selection of gloves to match the weather conditions.
Fleece hat for the winter.
Any device which means I don't have to take my hands off the brakes to
change gear.
Brakes which work better (several incarnations).
Each new bike.

Finally, for big grin factor, a fixed gear bike.

--

JimP

" " - John Cage

In article <[email protected]>, Eiron wrote:
>Tony Raven wrote:
>
>> Yep, we haven't had a first clipless tumble tale related to us in a while ;-)

>Has anyone else here never had one?

I haven't, but I don't do off-road and a lot of my commuting is in normal
shoes.

in message <[email protected]>, Adrian Godwin
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Yep, we haven't had a first clipless tumble tale related to us in a
>> while ;-)
>>

> A short while ago I bought a Specialized Tricross (after some very
> useful advice here).

Tell us how you like it, and what you use it for. I think it's one of the
most interesting bikes on the market just now, but I haven't got one.

;; If you're doing this for fun, do what seems fun. If you're
;; doing it for money, stop now.
;; Rainer Deyke

Simon Mason wrote:

> Wait until 1700 on a Saturday
> and you can get a 6 quid box of sushi for a couple of quid.

I wouldn't buy sushi if it had sick squid in it!