Camelbacks

BrainInjuredBkr

Jul 26, 2005
I bought a cheap camelback last night, just to see what it's like. When I got it home, I found it extremely hard to figure out. Anyone else have that problem? What do you do?

BrainInjuredBkr said:
I bought a cheap camelback last night, just to see what it's like. When I got it home, I found it extremely hard to figure out. Anyone else have that problem? What do you do?
What's the problem you're having?

I started with a cheap Next/Walmart brand camelback. Although cumbersome at first, within a few rides I learned how to correctly fill it up and seal it without making a complete mess. I have since upgraded to a camelback with a larger backpack, but I am still using the Next/Walmart bladder (3 years later). I'll use the new bladder when the cheapie finally dies.

As a side note, I religiously rinse and/or clean the bladder after every ride, and hang it upside down to dry out. Companies sell devices to make the bladder stay open to help dry it out, but I just made my own out of a rubber covered wire clothes hanger that I bent into shape (I assume stiff electrical wire would work as well).

Any help to you?

Scotty_Dog said:
What's the problem you're having?

I started with a cheap Next/Walmart brand camelback. Although cumbersome at first, within a few rides I learned how to correctly fill it up and seal it without making a complete mess. I have since upgraded to a camelback with a larger backpack, but I am still using the Next/Walmart bladder (3 years later). I'll use the new bladder when the cheapie finally dies.

As a side note, I religiously rinse and/or clean the bladder after every ride, and hang it upside down to dry out. Companies sell devices to make the bladder stay open to help dry it out, but I just made my own out of a rubber covered wire clothes hanger that I bent into shape (I assume stiff electrical wire would work as well).

Any help to you?
Thank you ScottyDog. I went for a ride this morning to the dermatology clinic four miles up the road. I didn't have any water in my cheap-o bladder, but I did have a chance to try sucking from the straw. It seems like I will probably get the hang of it fairly quickly. My new system will take a while to get used to. But I ride daily. So it should come pretty easily. My bladder said to use baking soda and water to scrub it. But that would be hard, especially since the apparatus for screwing on the lid prevents reaching down inside. I think I can easily enough manage to flush it out with baking soda and water every time I use it and wash the mouthpiece with detergent. If anyone has anything to say about cleaning, I'd appreciate the comments. I have a feeling I aught to take the camelback on my longer rides, and leave it behind for my commuting trips.

After each ride, I rinse the bladder from my camelbak and store it in the freezer - I don't know of any nasties that can grow in it that way.

Has anyone tried filling the camelback bladder 1/3 with water and then freezing it before filling the rest of the way? This works wonderfully well and it does not block the hose as long as the bladder is laying down on its back in the freezer. I'm impressed. Also, please tell me whether you use lemon juice or vinegar to sanitize the bladder. Vinegar kills 90 percent of germs and so does lemon juice. Lemon juice tastes more pleasant. I favor lemon juice. Also, thank you roshea for the reply. This is a fun thread.

Does anybody know how to replace the mouthpiece without sacrificing a length of tube?

I like the elbow mouthpiece on two of my camelbaks and would like to put one onto the third one, but if I have to cut off the straight mouthpiece there might not be enough tube length left.

All I do to keep the bladders clean is to rinse them after using energy drinks and keep them filled with water. Once a year or so I leave them overnight with a "Milton" solution in.

On my camelbak you can just yank the mouthpiece of the end of the tube and put a new one on if need be. Mine came with an angled one so it isnt a n issue for me.

I have tried the freezing thing and it works well.

BrainInjuredBkr said:
Thank you ScottyDog. I went for a ride this morning to the dermatology clinic four miles up the road. I didn't have any water in my cheap-o bladder, but I did have a chance to try sucking from the straw. It seems like I will probably get the hang of it fairly quickly. My new system will take a while to get used to. But I ride daily. So it should come pretty easily. My bladder said to use baking soda and water to scrub it. But that would be hard, especially since the apparatus for screwing on the lid prevents reaching down inside. I think I can easily enough manage to flush it out with baking soda and water every time I use it and wash the mouthpiece with detergent. If anyone has anything to say about cleaning, I'd appreciate the comments. I have a feeling I aught to take the camelback on my longer rides, and leave it behind for my commuting trips.
You've listed more than one reason to buy a genuine Camelbak. Their resevoirs cannot be beat. Their bite valves make everyone else's look overly complex and half as functional.

BTW, there are a few ways to skirt the cleaning issue.
a) If you only use water, you don't need to clean it at all.
b) Refill the bladder and put it in the refrigerator when you're done. This will keep the bacteria at bay PLUS your water will be nice and chilly for your next adventure.

I tried an off-brand resevoir and had nothing but problems. Go Camelbak and you won't be dissapointed.

I use vinegar to keep my bladder and bottles clean. You only need a samll amount about 2 to 3mls per litre. Let it sit (i leave mine overnight), then remove and rinse with water. Removes the taste of vinegar. I only use the vinegar after every ride on my bladder and bottles that contained sports drink (because they contain sugar). I donot rinse my plain water bladder and bottles out after every ride, although I rinse these out about once a week.:)

I use Milton (baby Bottle steriliser) no risk no after taste just right. I always put the bladder in the freezer usually two housr before I go out. I can't have a frozen lump as I work so hard I need to drink it all and on a 50 mile 2 hour ride it is not usually defrosted.

Nick

beltabout said:
I use Milton (baby Bottle steriliser) no risk no after taste just right. I always put the bladder in the freezer usually two housr before I go out. I can't have a frozen lump as I work so hard I need to drink it all and on a 50 mile 2 hour ride it is not usually defrosted.

Nick

i use a cheap "own brand" version of milton seems to work just as well. i have a cheap decathlon hydro pack and a camelback mule. although about three times the price the mule is by far the best.

Here's an idea- I have a 3 liter Camelback. I can't stand to drink that much gatorade, just too much sugar- sometimes I want pure water. The backpack will hold a 3 liter bladder- why not put in a two liter bladder and a 1 liter bladder and fill one with water and one with gatorade (or whatever- beer?)? The backpack is made so the hose can be run on either the right or the left side- put the water hose on one side and the gatorade hose on the other side.

Another tip- after you fill the bladder there is often a lot of air in there that will make the thing extra bulky and sloshy- get the air out by turning the bladder upside down while holding the bite valve in the air and squeezing the bite valve until the liquid starts to flow, then put the bladder in your backpack.

Even if you use just water in the bladder, you need to clean it. Water IS a growth medium for bacteria and fungi.

TD

after each ride i take it out of the backpack, take off the bite valve, open the bag up. put in one drop of fairy liquid and close it.., then here is the clever bit i invented this :D
i push the pipe without bite valve on it up the hot tap... then turn on the tap with the bladdre upside down over the edge of the sink and let it fill to about half way....then shake it up and down to put the solution everywhere... then open the blader filling cap and let it run for a while after a lil while i jam the pipe in the cold tap otherwise the pipe can get distorted with red hot water in it all the time..

this has the effect of rinsing it thru for you with hardly any effort, go have a bath to soak after the ride, come back just take pipe out of tap and rinse inside bladder with tap tip upside down and shake out.... then i shove the empty thing in the freezer like someone else suggested to keep any bacteria at bay... till next ride..

After every ride I put the bladder in the fridge,regardless of the amount of water left in it. The next day I fill it with purchased water and go. I usually go about a month or so between cleanings. You have to make sure that you put the bladder in the fridge the same day that you use it and you will never have a problem. bacteria can not survive at the temps in your fridge. I have been doing this for quite a while now and have never gotten sick. If you want to waste prescious cleaning material and more importantly, your time, then clean the dam thing everyday. The other side to cleaning everyday is that you don't always get the soap/bleach or whatever it is you use out and you are drinking that ****. If anything I would say that cleaning the bladder everyday exposes you more to chemicals than it does bacteria.