Camelbak for hiking..good / cheap places to buy???

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Me, May 26, 2003.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    Hi there,

    I am looking to buy a CAMELBAK bag mainly for long hikes and the occasional M Bike ride. So far I
    think the Camelbak Rim Runner looks the best (good general storage, high capacity for water, smaller
    zip up pockets for valuables etc). The best price I have found so far is £65 for the 2003 model.
    Anybody out there know of anywhere I can get this model cheaper or a similar model given my needs?

    many thanks,

    Doug Stokes

    Tags:

  2. Paul Allen

    Paul Allen Guest

    On Mon, 26 May 2003 12:25:41 +0100, "me" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am looking to buy a CAMELBAK bag mainly for long hikes and the occasional M Bike ride. So far I
    >think the Camelbak Rim Runner looks the best (good general storage, high capacity for water,
    >smaller zip up pockets for valuables etc). The best price I have found so far is £65 for the 2003
    >model. Anybody out there know of anywhere I can get this model cheaper or a similar model given
    >my needs?

    The Rim Runner was easily the best model for me taking flexibility, capacity, water storage and
    price into consideration.

    £65 sounds right - I think thats what I bought mine for a month or two ago.
    --
    ------- o ----- <#\, --- ()/() Belfast Biker Specialized Sirrus + Gilera Runner! N54 33' W05 58'

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am looking to buy a CAMELBAK bag mainly for long hikes and the
    occasional
    > M Bike ride. So far I think the Camelbak Rim Runner looks the best (good general storage, high
    > capacity for water, smaller zip up pockets for valuables etc). The best price I have found so far
    > is £65 for the 2003 model. Anybody out there know of anywhere I can get this model cheaper or
    > similar model given my needs?
    >
    > many thanks,
    >

    > Doug Stokes

    Alternately get down your local Decathlon store and buy one of theirs for half the price.
    Cheers, Dave.

  4. Me

    Me Guest

    Another question I have....any idea how waterproof the camelbaks are?

    "me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am looking to buy a CAMELBAK bag mainly for long hikes and the
    occasional
    > M Bike ride. So far I think the Camelbak Rim Runner looks the best (good general storage, high
    > capacity for water, smaller zip up pockets for valuables etc). The best price I have found so far
    > is £65 for the 2003 model. Anybody out there know of anywhere I can get this model cheaper or
    > similar model given my needs?
    >
    > many thanks,
    >

    > Doug Stokes

  5. Paul Allen

    Paul Allen Guest

    On Mon, 26 May 2003 20:33:46 +0100, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Alternately get down your local Decathlon store and buy one of theirs for half the price.
    >Cheers, Dave.

    Alternatively order the Camelbak and get what you pay for. :)

    It's expensive by comparison, but oh so worth it...

    --
    ------- o ----- <#\, --- ()/() Belfast Biker Specialized Sirrus + Gilera Runner! N54 33' W05 58'

  6. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Paul Allen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 26 May 2003 20:33:46 +0100, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >Alternately get down your local Decathlon store and buy one of theirs for half the price.
    > >Cheers, Dave.
    >

    > Alternatively order the Camelbak and get what you pay for. :)
    >
    > It's expensive by comparison, but oh so worth it...
    >
    > --
    > ------- o ----- <#\, --- ()/() Belfast Biker Specialized Sirrus + Gilera Runner! N54 33' W05 58'

    I did a 920 miles end to end on me Decathlon hydrapack(on the bike of course, not the bag!), it was
    what I bought it for. Plenty of luggage space and enough water (20+2ltres, IIRC) and have been using
    it regularly since both on and off road, the Karrimor trail several times, etcetc...what more could
    I want ? It hasn't leaked, failed to pass water upon request or lost any luggage. It has several
    useful features such as wallet pocket, keys/phone pockets, helmet net. It has reflective patches,
    and emergency card pocket on the waistbelt and a chest fastening. Pray tell what the camleback can
    offer over and above this?...and at what cost ? Cheers, Dave.

  7. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Paul Allen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > On Mon, 26 May 2003 20:33:46 +0100, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > > >Alternately get down your local Decathlon store and buy one of theirs
    for
    > > >half the price. Cheers, Dave.
    > >

    > > Alternatively order the Camelbak and get what you pay for. :)
    > >
    > > It's expensive by comparison, but oh so worth it...
    > >
    > > --
    > > ------- o ----- <#\, --- ()/() Belfast Biker Specialized Sirrus + Gilera Runner! N54 33' W05 58'
    >
    > I did a 920 miles end to end on me Decathlon hydrapack(on the bike of course, not the bag!), it
    > was what I bought it for. Plenty of luggage
    space
    > and enough water (20+2ltres, IIRC) and have been using it regularly since both on and off road,
    > the Karrimor trail several times, etcetc...what more could I want ? It hasn't leaked, failed to
    > pass water upon request or lost any luggage. It has several useful features such as wallet pocket,
    > keys/phone pockets, helmet net. It has reflective patches, and emergency card pocket on the
    > waistbelt and a chest fastening. Pray tell what the camleback can offer over and above this?...and
    > at what cost ? Cheers, Dave.

    OK!, should read Camelbak!!! (it's late, I'm off to bed!! or maybe a party in herefordshire,
    leominster or thereabouts.... ;-) Dave.

  8. On Mon, 26 May 2003 21:35:09 +0100, me did issue forth:

    > Another question I have....any idea how waterproof the camelbaks are?

    Short answer: Not very. Anything more than a light shower, and you're looking at getting your kit
    damp. Probably worth looking at getting some sort of small rucksack cover if there's any chance of
    you being stuck out in the rain.

    Huw

  9. Paul Allen

    Paul Allen Guest

    On Tue, 27 May 2003 00:18:07 +0100, "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Mon, 26 May 2003 21:35:09 +0100, me did issue forth:
    >
    >> Another question I have....any idea how waterproof the camelbaks are?

    Some of 'em come with a rain cover... never needed one myself, even in Ireland!

    --
    ------- o ----- <#\, --- ()/() Belfast Biker Specialized Sirrus + Gilera Runner! N54 33' W05 58'

  10. Paul Allen

    Paul Allen Guest

    On Mon, 26 May 2003 23:42:38 +0100, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I did a 920 miles end to end on me Decathlon hydrapack(on the bike of course, not the bag!), it was
    >what I bought it for.

    I've no experience of the Decathlon (never heard of it in fact), but experience has told me that in
    most things in life, you do indeed get what you pay for.

    --
    ------- o ----- <#\, --- ()/() Belfast Biker Specialized Sirrus + Gilera Runner! N54 33' W05 58'

  11. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    Paul Allen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > I've no experience of the Decathlon (never heard of it in fact), but experience has told me that
    > in most things in life, you do indeed get what you pay for.

    Lot's of lavish marketing in the case of the Camelbak.

    --
    Dave...

  12. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Paul Allen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 26 May 2003 23:42:38 +0100, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I did a 920 miles end to end on me Decathlon hydrapack(on the bike of course, not the bag!), it
    > >was what I bought it for.
    >

    > I've no experience of the Decathlon (never heard of it in fact), but experience has told me that
    > in most things in life, you do indeed get what you pay for.
    >

    > --
    > ------- o ----- <#\, --- ()/() Belfast Biker Specialized Sirrus + Gilera Runner! N54 33' W05 58'

    Decathlon, as far as I can tell, is a French sports superstore. They do everything for everything
    sporty (well, lots of it anyway!! ;-). My 'local' one is at the Merry Hill Centre in the West Mids,
    England. The hydrapack has a label inside indicating it's 'Decathlon' and made in China. It has the
    word 'Rockrider' embroidered on the outside of the pack. As the OP asked for good / cheap places to
    buy, I thought I'd offer him an optional choice. He doesn't have to take it, but having used the
    pack extensively (I'll let you know how it's going in 5 years ;-), I'm willing to recommend it to
    anyone who cares to listen. Regards, Dave.

  13. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Paul Allen <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > I've no experience of the Decathlon (never heard of it in fact), but experience has told me that
    > > in most things in life, you do indeed get what you pay for.
    >
    > Lot's of lavish marketing in the case of the Camelbak.
    >
    > --
    > Dave...

    absolutement, (Another) Dave.

  14. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > Decathlon, as far as I can tell, is a French sports superstore. They do everything for everything
    > sporty (well, lots of it anyway!! ;-). My 'local' one is at the Merry Hill Centre in the West
    > Mids, England.

    I have friends who live part time in France and theyrave over the value to be had a Decathlon -
    where else are they in the UK? Can't find anything but a French website.

  15. Tenex wrote:

    > I have friends who live part time in France and theyrave over the value to be had a Decathlon -
    > where else are they in the UK? Can't find anything but a French website.

    There's a branch at Surrey Quays (SE London) and I think one in Nottingham as well.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  16. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On Tue, 27 May 2003 15:33:32 GMT, Tenex wrote:

    >Dave wrote:
    >> Decathlon, as far as I can tell, is a French sports superstore. They do everything for everything
    >> sporty (well, lots of it anyway!! ;-). My 'local' one is at the Merry Hill Centre in the West
    >> Mids, England.
    >
    >I have friends who live part time in France and theyrave over the value to be had a Decathlon -
    >where else are they in the UK? Can't find anything but a French website.

    There is a link from a drop down menu "visiter aussi" down a bit on the left hand side.

    Clicking Décathlon Royaume Uni brings up this page http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ukstore/index.asp

  17. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    Phil Cook wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 May 2003 15:33:32 GMT, Tenex wrote:
    >
    >> Dave wrote:
    >>> Decathlon, as far as I can tell, is a French sports superstore. They do everything for
    >>> everything sporty (well, lots of it anyway!! ;-). My 'local' one is at the Merry Hill Centre in
    >>> the West Mids, England.
    >>
    >> I have friends who live part time in France and theyrave over the value to be had a Decathlon -
    >> where else are they in the UK? Can't find anything but a French website.
    >>

    > There is a link from a drop down menu "visiter aussi" down a bit on the left hand side.
    >
    > Clicking Décathlon Royaume Uni brings up this page http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ukstore/index.asp

    Thanks all phoned a store and they pointed me to the website. Prices not as good as across the
    Chnnel, I gather.

  18. [email protected] schreef ...

    > Another question I have....any idea how waterproof the camelbaks are?

    In my opinion 100% since all the water stays in unless you suck it out ;-) Or isn't that what
    you meant?

    --
    Regards, Marten

  19. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > Decathlon, as far as I can tell, is a French sports superstore. They do everything for everything
    > sporty (well, lots of it anyway!! ;-). My 'local' one is at the Merry Hill Centre in the West
    > Mids, England. The hydrapack has a label inside indicating it's 'Decathlon' and made in China. It
    > has the word 'Rockrider' embroidered on the outside of the pack.

    Seems to be a name they have for their own stuff from bikes to water bottles but no rucsacs or
    bladders in the search results.

  20. [email protected] schreef ...
    > Paul Allen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > > I've no experience of the Decathlon (never heard of it in fact), but experience has told me that
    > > in most things in life, you do indeed get what you pay for.
    >
    > Lot's of lavish marketing in the case of the Camelbak.

    Not entirely. We own between us one Decathlon and two Camelbaks. Although the Decathlon is very
    decent, the Camelbaks are decidedly better in quality of the material and details like the quality
    of the seams. The fit is also better than the Decathlon's.

    Also, a sternum strap came as standard, the mouthpiece is better/cleverer and the bladder doesn't
    have *any* taste of itself - the Decathlon's has a slight plasticky taste when you haven't used it
    for a while.

    Altogether, the Camelbak at double the price is not two times as good, but in our experience it's
    definitely better than the Decathlon.

    --
    Mvg, Marten