Camelbak Hydrobak

64Paramount

Jul 25, 2009
I just purchased and used one of these for the first time today. I was surprised to find that it did not come with instructions on it's use and care.

It just had a multi-layer tag attached to it that was more of an advertisement than anything else.

It was easy enough to fill and to use, but I'm wondering how to best care for it. I went to the camelbak website and I see there is a cleaning kit available.

I will only be using water in it, as I do my water bottles. With my water bottles, I just rinse them out after use, shake out the excess water, and then place them upside down on a paper towel to dry overnight.

If anyone who has one of these camelbak's could share your method of care, I would appreciate it.

I did a search and found a looong thread about hydratrion packs versus water bottle that turned into a fist fight....so, I don't want to start that debate again. :D

Depends. Most times, I simply rinse it out making sure to thoroughly flush the tube between the pack and the bite valve, by draining the rinse water through the bite valve.

If my drink solution sat in the pack longer than a few hours or I've used it a handful of times with only a rinse, then I'll fill it with water and add a teaspoon of bleach for a good cleaning. Let it sit for 10 minutes then drain the entire bleach solution through the bite valve. Then do it again with just water for a rinse.

For me, the trickiest part was figuring out a way to dry the pack and tube so not water remained inside. That differs by pack and valve design, so you'll need to figure that one out on your own.

1.Use only water in your Camelbak.
2.Empty, rinse and dry immediately after your ride.
3.Periodically use a VERY mild bleach overnight and then rinse thoroughly.

Mould loves sugar...hence the advice to use only water, definitely no sports drinks.
Rinse and shake dry as best you can....then prop open with some item to allow air to thoroughly dry the bag.
Sanitise maybe once a month max...although this will vary with circumstances..hot, humid, doubtful water supply etc. Camelbak tablets are ridiculously expensive. They are chlorine dioxide which is an oxidizing agent and a mild bleach. All bleaches weaken the bag structure. I use Sodium Percarbonate which is a sanitizing, oxidizing agent...also a mild bleach...used by home brewers and is a tiny fraction of the price Camelbak charges. Sodium Metabisulphite is also used by home brewers and is OK but has strong fumes. Rinsed thoroughly there is zero after-taste with any of these products. You only need tiny amounts...quarter teaspoon of Sodium Percarbonate dissolved in hot water then add to a 2 litre jug of cold water which fills my Camelbak. Ensure that the drink tube is filled by exercising the Big Bite Valve a few times.
Follow this maintenance and you will NEVER have any issues with your Camelbak.
You can purchase Sodium Percarbonate at Home Brew Stores (cheap), supermarkets (maybe) or chemists (not cost-effective normally).

Thanks to you both, Scotty Dog and Hwka, for your advice. That was very helpful. :)

Hi

just use soft soap for use in kitchen , wash with sponge bob and everytime dry with a toall and leave in a place where the air circulate face down

regards

jo****o papito

64Paramount said:
I just purchased and used one of these for the first time today. I was surprised to find that it did not come with instructions on it's use and care.

It just had a multi-layer tag attached to it that was more of an advertisement than anything else.

It was easy enough to fill and to use, but I'm wondering how to best care for it. I went to the camelbak website and I see there is a cleaning kit available.

I will only be using water in it, as I do my water bottles. With my water bottles, I just rinse them out after use, shake out the excess water, and then place them upside down on a paper towel to dry overnight.

If anyone who has one of these camelbak's could share your method of care, I would appreciate it.

I did a search and found a looong thread about hydratrion packs versus water bottle that turned into a fist fight....so, I don't want to start that debate again. :D