Camelbak mule question

Ctg

Guest
Does the mule have enought storage capacity to carry a water-bottle battery for a helmet light?

Chris

Sorni <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > "ctg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Does the mule have enought storage capacity to carry a water-bottle
> > battery
> > > for a helmet light?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> I agree, but it's gonna be bulky (regardless of the pack).
>
> Bill "that's why they make those deck-of-cards-sized batteries for dome lights" S.

Nah, i stuck a bottle in the upper mesh compartment, and it fit perfectly. wasn't bulky at all. it
didn't stick out any more than the lower compartments do.

Though if i was riding, i would not want just a helmet lamp. too much of a forward blind spot when
you look around. at the least, i would want a low wattage bar mounted lamp, with the high beams on
the head providing the light where i look. maybe a flood on the bar with a good distance cutting
beam up top, that would do it. but what am i saying, i never ride at night anyway (mainly because i
ain't got no lights).

BTW, out of curiosity, has anybody tried using one of those little aftermarket driving lights as a
lamp? do they draw too much power to be used practically?
--
~Travis

http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

"ctg" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:[email protected]...
> Does the mule have enought storage capacity to carry a water-bottle
battery
> for a helmet light?

It is ten days to the summer solstice, it gets dark after 10PM and you people are talking about
LIGHTS? Let's start a couple of Nokian studded tire threads while we are at it.

BTW- I have never seen a Camelback mule so I can't answer your question. Sorry.

-Dave

Dave Stocker <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> "ctg" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:[email protected]...
> > Does the mule have enought storage capacity to carry a water-bottle
> battery
> > for a helmet light?
>
> It is ten days to the summer solstice, it gets dark after 10PM and you people are talking about
> LIGHTS? Let's start a couple of Nokian studded tire threads while we are at it.
>
> BTW- I have never seen a Camelback mule so I can't answer your question. Sorry.
>
> -Dave

Actually, i think a ride at night would be interesting. new perspective of the trail, new set of
wildlife, no hot sun (body heat is all you really need if you are plenty active, during the summer
anyway), and less people, dogs, other bikers, etc, to worry about. so you can enjoy a nice quiet
ride. But, that's just my take on it as a bystander. i tried attaching a flashlight to my helmet,
but it just didn't work right.

I would think too, it would be a good adrenalin pumper the first time out as trees and branches leap
out of the dark at you.
--

Technician wrote:

> Actually, i think a ride at night would be interesting. new perspective of the trail, new set of
> wildlife, no hot sun (body heat is all you really need if you are plenty active, during the
> summer anyway), and less people, dogs, other bikers, etc, to worry about. so you can enjoy a nice
> quiet ride.

Indeed. However Dave's point was that night riding is generally reserved for the Fall/Winter season,
when it's dark at 6PM. Most of us working types don't/can't wait until 10PM to ride so lights are a
little out of season currently. Night riding is a cool novelty but after a few months you're ready
for the daylight evening rides again...

-will

"ctg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Does the mule have enought storage capacity to carry a water-bottle battery for a helmet light?
>
> Chris
I would buy a hawg. It has plenty of room for anything and weighs only a little more when it's
empty. Weight when full is of course up to you.

Brad and Julie Vaughn We have one of each and I woujld just rather not have to think about what to
pack and what to leave.

Brad and Julie Vaughn <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> "ctg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Does the mule have enought storage capacity to carry a water-bottle battery for a helmet light?
> >
> > Chris
> I would buy a hawg. It has plenty of room for anything and weighs only a little more when it's
> empty. Weight when full is of course up to you.

Weighs a little more when empty? what planet are you on? on earth it would tend to weigh less when
empty. ;-)
--
~Travis

http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

Uhmm... I think he was reffering to the weight differences between the mule and the hawg... (one
weighs a little more than the other when empty).

Danny

> Brad and Julie Vaughn <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> > "ctg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Does the mule have enought storage capacity to carry a water-bottle
battery
> > > for a helmet light?
> > >
> > > Chris
> > I would buy a hawg. It has plenty of room for anything and weighs only a little more when it's
> > empty. Weight when full is of course up to you.
>
> Weighs a little more when empty? what planet are you on? on earth it would tend to weigh less when
> empty. ;-)
> --
> ~Travis
>
> http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

El Barista <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> Technician wrote:
>
> > Actually, i think a ride at night would be interesting. new perspective of the trail, new set of
> > wildlife, no hot sun (body heat is all you really need if you are plenty active, during the
> > summer anyway), and less people, dogs, other bikers, etc, to worry about. so you can enjoy a
> > nice quiet ride.
>
> Indeed. However Dave's point was that night riding is generally reserved for the Fall/Winter
> season, when it's dark at 6PM. Most of us working types don't/can't wait until 10PM to ride so
> lights are a little out of season currently. Night riding is a cool novelty but after a few months
> you're ready for the daylight evening rides again...
>
> -will

Ahh, i see. i failed to see from that perspective as you can most likely guess. But being out in
semi-country, i see dark about an hour, maybe an hour and a half earlier than 10pm.
--

Technician wrote:

> But being out in semi-country, i see dark about an hour, maybe an hour and a half earlier
> than 10pm.

I certainly envy your dark skies. Here you've got to travel an hour to get to the penumbra of light
pollution, and Austin is better than most large cities too.

http://cleardarksky.com/lp/AustinTXlp.html

I'm in the orange band, about 10 o'clock from the center. That blue band is about a 75 minute drive.

-will

Danny <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> Uhmm... I think he was reffering to the weight differences between the mule and the hawg... (one
> weighs a little more than the other when empty).
>
> Danny

I must have missed the mention of the Hawg, and the brain translated it into the Mule. And BTW, i
looked at a Hawg, and i think it is a bit much for carrying a battery when the mule will hold it
just fine.

note, in my upper mesh pocket, i usually carry my wallet (Licence for ID in case of bad crash, and
cause it is better than the back pocket and safer than leaving it in the car), my cell phone (in
case of a bad crash... where i am still conscious. note to others, when riding alone, _always_ tell
somebody where you are going and expected return), and i clip my keys on the bak just as kind of a
bear bell for hikers, they go in the lower mesh otherwise.

... and to get back on course, with all that, i can still slide a water bottle in along side it all,
so a battery should have plenty of room (like everybody keeps saying).
--
~Travis

http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

El Barista <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> Technician wrote:
>
> > But being out in semi-country, i see dark about an hour, maybe an hour and a half earlier
> > than 10pm.
>
> I certainly envy your dark skies. Here you've got to travel an hour to get to the penumbra of
> light pollution, and Austin is better than most large cities too.
>
> http://cleardarksky.com/lp/AustinTXlp.html
>
> I'm in the orange band, about 10 o'clock from the center. That blue band is about a 75
> minute drive.
>
> -will

http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/tmp/farmington_lp.jpg if i translated the map correctly, farmington
is somewhere around the white circle.

Dark night is good, but in the winter it is reeealy dark. i mean, if i turn off all the electrical
stuff in my room, i can't even see may hand in front of my face. in summer, you can just make out
moving objects if they are really big and close.
--

Technician wrote:

> http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/tmp/farmington_lp.jpg if i translated the map correctly,
> farmington is somewhere around the white circle.

Yeah, it's hard to get a direct bearing from their maps. It looks like short of hiking to a mountain
top and living off berries that you've got a choice location. Now you just need you one of these:

http://www.telescope.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=3988&itemTyp
e=PRODUCT&iMainCat=4&iSubCat=9&iProductID=3988

Ack! http://tinyurl.com/czl8

Mine doesn't get used to near its potential :(

-will

> > Does the mule have enought storage capacity to carry a water-bottle
> battery
> > for a helmet light?
>
> It is ten days to the summer solstice, it gets dark after 10PM and you people are talking about
> LIGHTS? Let's start a couple of Nokian studded tire threads while we are at it.
>
> BTW- I have never seen a Camelback mule so I can't answer your question. Sorry.
>
> -Dave
>
>Actually, i think a ride at night would be interesting. new >perspective of the trail, new set of
>wildlife, no hot sun (body heat is all you really need if you are >plenty active, during the summer
>anyway), and less people, dogs, other bikers, etc, to worry >about. so you can enjoy a nice quiet
>ride. But, that's just my take on it as a bystander. i tried >attaching a flashlight to my helmet,
>but it just didn't work right.

>I would think too, it would be a good adrenalin pumper the first >time out as trees and branches leap
>out of the dark at you.
>--
>~Travis

For some of us who live in the southern hemisphere, lights are a reality now... its Winter, about 10C and darkish around 5pm...

But let me add, if you haven't ridden at night in a forest (or for a better experience, a pine forest) then you are definately missing out. There's something about 10 metre visibility (or less) that pumps adrenaline like you've never felt before.

"ctg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Does the mule have enought storage capacity to carry a water-bottle battery for a helmet light?
>
> Chris

Yep, there's plenty of room. I took a noober out early this week and carried a big bottle of water
in mine for the dewd, along with my huge laundry list of ****. No problem.

Paladin

"Technician" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:[email protected]...
> Ahh, i see. i failed to see from that perspective as you can most likely guess. But being out in
> semi-country, i see dark about an hour, maybe an hour and a half earlier than 10pm.
> --

Actually being in the country has nothing to do with it. Your sunset time is determined by your
latitude and your longitudal position (i.e. how far west you are) within the time zone. You are at
about 44 North. I have a few degrees on latitude over you (49N) so I have a longer day at the
moment. When I lived in Northern NY (Potsdam NY is almost due west of Farmington
ME), sunset was in the 9-9:30 range.

-Dave

"El Barista" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Technician wrote:
>
>> Actually, i think a ride at night would be interesting. new perspective of the trail, new set of
>> wildlife, no hot sun (body heat is all you really need if you are plenty active, during the
>> summer anyway), and less people, dogs, other bikers, etc, to worry about. so you can enjoy a nice
>> quiet ride.
>
> Indeed. However Dave's point was that night riding is generally reserved for the Fall/Winter
> season, when it's dark at 6PM.

It is dark here at 6pm and it is winter and the max is about 17 C.

Trevor S

Technician wrote:

>>Uhmm... I think he was reffering to the weight differences between the mule and the hawg... (one
>>weighs a little more than the other when empty).
>>

> I must have missed the mention of the Hawg, and the brain translated it into the Mule.

Aw, and there was me thinking you were being witty and making a play on words. Should have
known better...

> And BTW, i looked at a Hawg, and i think it is a bit much for carrying a battery when the mule
> will hold it just fine.
>
> note, in my upper mesh pocket, i usually carry my wallet (Licence for ID in case of bad crash, and
> cause it is better than the back pocket and safer than leaving it in the car), my cell phone (in
> case of a bad crash... where i am still conscious. note to others, when riding alone, _always_
> tell somebody where you are going and expected return),

What happens if you live on your own?

Don't forget first aid kit.