CamelBak recommendations?

sothach

Guest
I'm looking to get a new CamelBak, that'd hold enough juice for a
four-hour ride, plus luggage space for minimal tools (tube, pump,
phone, alien) - anyone know what would be a good choice? In this
weather, it should also be cool (held away from the back).

I looked at CamelBak's webpage, but got lost reading about products
like:

CamelBak's NEW Demon concealment pack is designed to carry a
handgun,
an extra single or double stack magazine, tactical light or folding
knife in its
secure, but easy-access concealment compartment. High-quality,
civilian
design and color choices help operators blend into the crowd.

A double stack of cycling+ seems reasonable, and the Alien would
replace the folding knife - but would a CrankBros mini-pump fit in the
handgun compartment?
I'll have mine in tactical-cranberry, please.

> I'm looking to get a new CamelBak, that'd hold enough juice for a
> four-hour ride, plus luggage space for minimal tools (tube, pump,
> phone, alien) - anyone know what would be a good choice? In this
> weather, it should also be cool (held away from the back).

I've used a Camelback Mule for the past two years. It has more space that
you claim that you need but there again you are under no obligation to fill
every nook and cranny. I can get through a three litre bladder in less than
four hours depending on the weather though I am not awre of any larger
bladder sizes. There again my water needs are greater than most....

To keep the drink cool I add substantial amounts of ice to the bladder. It
then stays cool and assists with keeping my back cooll too :)

vernon wrote:

> I've used a Camelback Mule for the past two years. It has more space that
> you claim that you need but there again you are under no obligation to fill
> every nook and cranny. I can get through a three litre bladder in less than
> four hours depending on the weather though I am not awre of any larger
> bladder sizes. There again my water needs are greater than most....

Thanks for the recommendation. The Mule sounds like just the thing: I
guess it's better to have the extra space for when you need it. Now it
gets tricky: MULE '06, MULE 4-seasons, USMC camo - desert or olive...

> To keep the drink cool I add substantial amounts of ice to the bladder. It
> then stays cool and assists with keeping my back cooll too :)

Top tip! Why didn't I think of that...?

sothach wrote:

> vernon wrote:
>
> > I've used a Camelback Mule for the past two years. It has more space that
> > you claim that you need but there again you are under no obligation to fill
> > every nook and cranny. I can get through a three litre bladder in less than
> > four hours depending on the weather though I am not awre of any larger
> > bladder sizes. There again my water needs are greater than most....

> Thanks for the recommendation. The Mule sounds like just the thing: I
> guess it's better to have the extra space for when you need it. Now it
> gets tricky: MULE '06, MULE 4-seasons, USMC camo - desert or olive...

You may want to consider a hydrapak model instead. They tend to be
cheaper than the equivalent camelbak and are very easy to clean as the
bladder can easily be turned inside out. I've got one of these,
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8575, which is
about the same size as a mule.

James