Camera bag test

Brian G

Guest
A little while ago I sought information on a camera bag for use when out
cycling and eventually said I had ordered a "Slingshot" bag, the Lowepro
100AW. This now is a brief report back. I've used the bag a few times,
despite the not very cycling friendly weather and can say that it does
just what I wanted. (BTW, this is not a specific endorsement of the
Lowepro brand - I believe other manufacturers make similar bags).

The bag sits on the back by means of a single diagonal strap and is held
in place by a short anchor strap. Hot sweaty back issues have not,
funnily enough, arisen over the last few days. To get at the camera
while still astride the bike, I have just to unclip the anchor strap and
swing the whole bag around under my left armpit to the front. The zips
to gain access to the camera compartment are then right on top of the
bag (i.e., they're on the side of the rucksack which is now lying
horizontally in front of me). The compartment has an arrangement of
buckled straps which prevent the contents spilling out. The camera is
easily removed for use. Once done, the bag is quickly slung behind
again and anchored with the strap buckle.

If I want to use the camera off the bike, the slingshot principle works
just as well. The bag sits on my back, out of the way, until I get to
where I want to shoot, when it's just a matter of swinging the bag round
as before.

The bag has some compartments for accessories and even has a reasonably
roomy section on the top which could hold, keys, mobile phone, wallet,
etc., just like a Camelbak, for example.

For anyone wanting to carry a SLR type camera while cycling, rather than
a compact, I'd say it would be worth having a look at the "slingshot"
type of bag.

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk

Brian G wrote:

> For anyone wanting to carry a SLR type camera while cycling, rather than
> a compact, I'd say it would be worth having a look at the "slingshot"
> type of bag.

Thanks Brian. One to consider for the future.