camino de sandeigo de compostela

Sean O'Reilly

Guest
I am still unsure if this famous trip starting Roncevelle is worth it. I was loking forward to
completing the trip over 8 days this May , however most of the reports I read have encountered a
l;ot of poor roads with heavy traffic,not a great dea\l about the scenery,and the available
accomodation in most towns seems to be just about ok noting to write home about. is this true??. I
would appreciate more info or alternative 7 - 8 day trip in spain. [email protected]

The route to Santiago is of a better quality than most roads in the UK, the Spanish are going
berserk with new road building programmes. There is only one stretch of what I would call "heavy"
road, which is the one into Burgos. Though my recollection of that day was tainted by a head wind
and having to cycle hard to go down hill.

Generally there is a wide strip to the right of the road that cyclists are expected to cycle upon,
which is a good idea. I have a feeling that cyclists are no longer compelled to ride on the "hard
shoulder". QED.

Spanish motorists and lorry drivers treat cyclists with respect and give you lots of room, so do not
be put off.

You are talking about covering a lot of ground each day, over 100 km per day which is a lot if you
are loaded up with a tent etc.

Go for it Sean!

PS. The route proper starts in Le Puy, though St Jean Pied de Port is a better starting place than
Orreaga / Roncesvalles, you still have to go up the Pto Ibaneta (1057 m) ;) and watch out for
the dual place names, Spanish and Basque it can be confusing.

--
Cheers,

Wallace Shackleton. Kinross, Scotland.

www.cyclekinross.org.uk