Camo ski/bike suits?

Jeff Potter

Guest
What if a ski racer wore a white/black winter-pattern camo racing suit? Maybe more jazzy looking
than pure hunt/military looking.

Think it might be a racing advantage?

Could a skier be made kinda hard to see against the snow/trees?

Would that person have an easier time creeping up on you in a race or gradually getting away from
you in a race?

In bike racing, what if someone looked kinda like pavement. Gray tires and bike, shorts, helmet,
jersey...with some plain green to break it up. I wonder if they'd find it easier to roll away from a
pack or to roll up on someone they were chasing...

--

Jeff Potter [email protected] http://OutYourBackdoor.com -- a friendly ezine of modern
folkways and culture revival...offering a line of alternative books and a world of bikes, boats,

Jeff Potter wrote:
> What if a ski racer wore a white/black winter-pattern camo racing suit? Maybe more jazzy looking
> than pure hunt/military looking.
>
> Think it might be a racing advantage?
>
> Could a skier be made kinda hard to see against the snow/trees?
>
> Would that person have an easier time creeping up on you in a race or gradually getting away from
> you in a race?
>
> In bike racing, what if someone looked kinda like pavement. Gray tires and bike, shorts, helmet,
> jersey...with some plain green to break it up. I wonder if they'd find it easier to roll away from
> a pack or to roll up on someone they were chasing...
>
> --
>
> Jeff Potter [email protected] http://OutYourBackdoor.com -- a friendly ezine of modern
> folkways and culture revival...offering a line of alternative books and a world of bikes, boats,
> skis...plus shops for great sleeper books, videos and music ...plus nationwide "Off the Beaten
> Path" travel forums for local fun, bumperstickers and a new social magnet stickers! ...Holy
> Smokes!!!

I thought half the fun of racing is that you can get away with dressing up like a super hero in
obnoxious spandex outfits because one is reasonably fit. Seriously, I too have considered racing
camo. I believe that the suit would be the most important part, however the pattern used for optimal
effect would have to change with conditions,
i.e. dense woods versus open fields, blizzard versus sunny day with no snow on the trees. I also
think that other gear would need to have a camo pattern too, for example, poles and boots would
be key because they are always moving at a varying velocity, which is easier to spot than
something that is stationary or moving at a constant velocity. Gloves, glasses, and hats would
have to be adapted too, however I think that finding suitable ones would be fairly easy. --Matt

Central High School in Saint Paul has white, black and gray camo suits with the words "Arctic
Commandos" written on them. Personally, I think they're pretty ugly but what do I know...

Jay Tegeder "On the podium if the right people don't show up!" JT

Jeff Potter <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> What if a ski racer wore a white/black winter-pattern camo racing suit? Maybe more jazzy looking
> than pure hunt/military looking.
>
> Think it might be a racing advantage?
>
> Could a skier be made kinda hard to see against the snow/trees?
>
> Would that person have an easier time creeping up on you in a race or gradually getting away from
> you in a race?
>
> In bike racing, what if someone looked kinda like pavement. Gray tires and bike, shorts, helmet,
> jersey...with some plain green to break it up. I wonder if they'd find it easier to roll away from
> a pack or to roll up on someone they were chasing...
>
> --
>
> Jeff Potter [email protected] http://OutYourBackdoor.com -- a friendly ezine of modern
> folkways and culture revival...offering a line of alternative books and a world of bikes, boats,
> skis...plus shops for great sleeper books, videos and music ...plus nationwide "Off the Beaten
> Path" travel forums for local fun, bumperstickers and a new social magnet stickers! ...Holy
> Smokes!!!

"Jeff Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What if a ski racer wore a white/black winter-pattern camo racing
suit?
> Maybe more jazzy looking than pure hunt/military looking.

There was a cycling team in New England a few seasons ago that had black, gray and white camo
jerseys and shorts. They looked hideous.

JT

NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com

>From: Jeff Potter [email protected]

>In bike racing, what if someone looked kinda like pavement. Gray tires and bike, shorts, helmet,
>jersey...with some plain green to break it up. I wonder if they'd find it easier to roll away from
>a pack or to roll up on someone they were chasing...
>
>--

Urban Camo for the spandex warrior set. This could be a whole new demographic for the "Soldier of
Fortune" magazine set. Bill C

Jeff, you've looked like 40 miles of bad road for many years now. :)

"Jeff Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What if a ski racer wore a white/black winter-pattern camo racing
suit?
> Maybe more jazzy looking than pure hunt/military looking.
>
> Think it might be a racing advantage?
>
> Could a skier be made kinda hard to see against the snow/trees?
>
> Would that person have an easier time creeping up on you in a race
or
> gradually getting away from you in a race?
>
> In bike racing, what if someone looked kinda like pavement. Gray
tires
> and bike, shorts, helmet, jersey...with some plain green to break it
up.
> I wonder if they'd find it easier to roll away from a pack or to
roll up
> on someone they were chasing...
>
> --
>
> Jeff Potter [email protected] http://OutYourBackdoor.com -- a friendly ezine of modern
> folkways
and
> culture revival...offering a line of alternative books and a world
of
> bikes, boats, skis...plus shops for great sleeper books, videos and music ...plus nationwide "Off
> the Beaten Path" travel forums for local
fun,
> bumperstickers and a new social magnet stickers! ...Holy Smokes!!!

John, you have to admit that there are some riders for whom hideous would be a step up. At Sea Otter
I bought a Team Internet jersey from Voler and I have to admit that yellow and green in that
particular pattern is pretty obnoxious. I'll wear it around the racing guys just to watch them hurl.

news:eek:[email protected]...
> "Jeff Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > What if a ski racer wore a white/black winter-pattern camo racing
> suit?
> > Maybe more jazzy looking than pure hunt/military looking.
>
> There was a cycling team in New England a few seasons ago that had black, gray and white camo
> jerseys and shorts. They looked hideous.
>
> JT

> NB: reply-to address is munged
>
> Visit http://www.jt10000.com

I don't think so, usually when I know someone is behind me it's because I can either hear them or
see their shadow. If you could make gears shift extremely quietly that might help. You also have to
deflect the gas exhaust, any infrared device like a heat seeking missile launcher would easily find
its target.

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 15:04:15 -0400, Jeff Potter <[email protected]> wrote:

>What if a ski racer wore a white/black winter-pattern camo racing suit? Maybe more jazzy looking
>than pure hunt/military looking.
>
>Think it might be a racing advantage?
>
>Could a skier be made kinda hard to see against the snow/trees?
>
>Would that person have an easier time creeping up on you in a race or gradually getting away from
>you in a race?
>
>In bike racing, what if someone looked kinda like pavement. Gray tires and bike, shorts, helmet,
>jersey...with some plain green to break it up. I wonder if they'd find it easier to roll away from
>a pack or to roll up on someone they were chasing...
>
>--
>
>Jeff Potter [email protected] http://OutYourBackdoor.com -- a friendly ezine of modern
>folkways and culture revival...offering a line of alternative books and a world of bikes, boats,
>skis...plus shops for great sleeper books, videos and music ...plus nationwide "Off the Beaten
>Path" travel forums for local fun, bumperstickers and a new social magnet stickers! ...Holy
>Smokes!!!

Here in bovine friendly Wisconsin (India's not the only place with sacred cows), there were several
people skiing in Holstein balck and white a few years ago.

Moo,
g.c.

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Jeff Potter wrote:

> What if a ski racer wore a white/black winter-pattern camo racing suit? Maybe more jazzy looking
> than pure hunt/military looking.

I've seen pictures of the first Vasaloppet (1920s), and other races of the same era, where skiers
wore all white suits. Maybe the racers wear wearing their winter hunting or winter army suits?

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada email: [email protected] WWW pages:
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/

Jeff, I have a pair of camo socks but they are too hard to find. Have you considered downloading a
camo font for posting messages online? Cheers, Bruce To respond by email remove YOURDOG