Campa Ergopower problem

Derk Drukker

Guest
Hi!

I ask this question for someone on a German BBS, who has a 2001 10 speed Daytona with 12-25
cassette. When the chain is on the 4 smallest cogs, he hears (rattling?) sounds. According to him th
esystem is properly adjusted.

Derk

Loose lockring? Loose der pulley bolt?

App

Derk Drukker <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi!
>
> I ask this question for someone on a German BBS, who has a 2001 10 speed Daytona with 12-25
> cassette. When the chain is on the 4 smallest cogs, he hears (rattling?) sounds. According to him
> th esystem is properly adjusted.
>
> Derk

sounds like it might be the chain rubbing against the large chain ring. such a problem can be fixed
by increasing the space between the chain rings or by adjusting the chain line. if the flange on the
left side of the small chain ring is thicker than that on the right side, flip it so that the
thicker side is next to the large ring so as to increase the space between the rings. also
installation of spacers between the chain rings will have the save effect (a bike shop can help you
get the spacers). the chain line can be adjusted by installing a spacer in the bottom bracket to
move the chainrings to the right (check w/a shop).

Derk Drukker wrote:

> I ask this question for someone on a German BBS, who has a 2001 10 speed Daytona with 12-25
> cassette. When the chain is on the 4 smallest cogs, he hears (rattling?) sounds. According to him
> th esystem is properly adjusted.

If problem only happens when applying lots of torque, refitting the cassette with grease on the hub
splines can prevent certain stange noises.

~PB

[email protected] (kcd) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> sounds like it might be the chain rubbing against the large chain ring. such a problem can be
> fixed by increasing the space between the chain rings or by adjusting the chain line. if the
> flange on the left side of the small chain ring is thicker than that on the right side, flip it so
> that the thicker side is next to the large ring so as to increase the space between the rings.

Definitely don't do this. The ramps and pins on the chainring are *not* double-sided. Has s/he
adjusted the der per the instructions,
i.e., shift the der to the sixth cog and align (sorry, I had to ask)? I did notice that my
drive-train required frequent lube (course, I use fairly thin lube) to keep it quiet and that
the Campy drive train just seems to be noisier than the Shimano 8 I had been running. Perhaps a
heavier lube? Also, I have noted that my Daytona 2001 cassette seems to be noisier than my 2002
Centaur (psychological?).

What chain is s/he using?

App

<< sounds like it might be the chain rubbing against the large chain ring. such a problem can be
fixed by increasing the space between the chain rings or by adjusting the chain line.

I agree that may be his noise but I disagree that it something that needs to be 'fixed'..Just
shifting to the large ring and up a couple of cogs will make the noise go away and he will be in the
same ratio.

Adding spacers or futzing with the chainline only creates more problems, like poor fder actiopn or
loosening rings BB cups.