Campag 10 speed rear wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nick Burns

I need 2 additional rear wheels for Campagnolo 10 speed drive-trains. I would like to get at least
one deep "V" of 40 to 50 mm and the other just needs to be strong enough to train on for a 160
rider. The second wheel I would like to weigh no more than 1000 grams (or so).

I already have a Eurus, and I am really happy with it. Since I have had such great luck, I was
thinking of getting another "G3" wheel, either the Scirocco or the Zonda. I would get another Eurus,
but I would prefer to spend less than $300 USD and hopefully closer to $200. I have not seen any of
these wheels other than photos and I have no idea what to expect. Are either of these as strong or
stronger than the Eurus or are they just heavier? The Eurus has 21 spokes and I think the other 2
have 24 spoke. That leads me to the next candidate; the Proton is about the same price of the
Scirocco and has the same 24 spokes but are evenly distributed between drive and non drive. How is
that wheel? It is a tad lighter than the Scirocco and logic tells me that it can't be as strong. Any
testimonials or information would be greatly appreciated.

For the other wheel, I am looking at the Spinergy XAERO Carbon SS, the Tilium (both 45 mm rims) and
the slightly deeper (50mm) and lighter XLAB. I will likely get the clincher to get the superior
brake surface.

Any comments on any or all of the wheels would be greatly appreciated. I am pretty firm on the Campy
wheels as long as I don't hear any terrible stories and at least one of the two (Zonda or Scirocco)
is a good wheel, I think that will be great for me. I am not as confident in the carbon wheels. If I
don't hear anything to inspire confidence in them, I might look instead at the Rolf, Bontrager and
American Classic wheels.

Thanks in advance.

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 02:51:37 +0000, Nick Burns wrote:

> I have not seen any of these wheels other than photos and I have no idea what to expect. Are
> either of these as strong or stronger than the Eurus or are they just heavier?

I only know the G3 Scirocco and have read a test of it in a danish magasine which state it as being
the stiffest wheel of the wheels testet and the could recommend it for riders of any weight. I have
a few friend who ride them and they are extremly pleased with them.

Regards Lars Denmark

Nick-<< I need 2 additional rear wheels for Campagnolo 10 speed drive-trains. I would like to get at
least one deep "V" of 40 to 50 mm and the other just needs to be strong enough to train on for a 160
rider. The second wheel I would like to weigh no more than 1000 grams (or so). >><BR><BR> << either
the Scirocco or the Zonda. I would get another Eurus, but I would prefer to spend less than $300 USD
and hopefully closer to $200. I have not seen any of these wheels other than photos and I have no
idea what to expect. Are either of these as strong or stronger than the Eurus or are they just
heavier? >><BR><BR>

Lower end hubs, heavier rim, lots of marketing..

Got a local wheel builder that can design a wheel(s) for you, specifically for you and your needs?

Result will be as light, probably more durable, use standard parts(look for a Eurus spoke around)
anmd will probably cost less.

<< Any comments on any or all of the wheels would be greatly appreciated. I am pretty firm on the
Campy wheels as long as I don't hear any terrible stories and at least one of the two (Zonda or
Scirocco) is a good wheel, >><BR><BR>

Campagnolo hubs, Mavic, Torelli, or Velocity rims...built well...

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 02:51:37 GMT, "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Any comments on any or all of the wheels would be greatly appreciated. I am pretty firm on the
>Campy wheels as long as I don't hear any terrible stories and at least one of the two (Zonda or
>Scirocco) is a good wheel, I think that will be great for me. I am not as confident in the carbon
>wheels. If I don't hear anything to inspire confidence in them, I might look instead at the Rolf,
>Bontrager and American Classic wheels.

A 28 hole Record hub, a Velocity Aerohead rim and 14/15 butted spokes on drive side and either DT
rev or 15/16 on the non drive side will get your lightweight and reliability.

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Nick-<< I need 2 additional rear wheels for Campagnolo 10 speed
drive-trains. I
> would like to get at least one deep "V" of 40 to 50 mm and the other just needs to be strong
> enough to train on for a 160 rider. The second wheel I would like to weigh no more than 1000 grams
> (or so). >><BR><BR> << either the Scirocco or the Zonda. I would get another Eurus, but I would
> prefer to spend less than $300 USD and hopefully closer to $200. I have not seen any of these
> wheels other than photos and I have no idea what to expect. Are either of these as strong or
> stronger than the Eurus or are they just heavier? >><BR><BR>
>
> Lower end hubs, heavier rim, lots of marketing..
>
> Got a local wheel builder that can design a wheel(s) for you, specifically
for
> you and your needs?

There are no quality wheel builders in the area I live or rather if there are, I don't know them. I
have had too many bad wheels built by people that claimed to know how. Years ago when I started,
that was really the only way to go. It seems that the worst problem with "boutique" wheels is that
they changed the market conditions such that it is very difficult to find quality builders. In any
case, I would like to have your ideas for custom in which I propose to buy them from you. What do
you have for sale that would cost between $200 and $300? I would like th have between 24 and 32
spokes and the rim would be either box section or up to 40mm deep. I like the Sun Venus rim, which I
think is 25 mm. Actually I like all of the Sun rims. Maybe I should get a Venus and a Velocity. What
would you recommend? The deep V is for racing and the other for training. I am 185 pounds and race,
but I am very easy on rear wheels that are built correctly.

Thanks, Chris

> Result will be as light, probably more durable, use standard parts(look
for a
> Eurus spoke around) anmd will probably cost less.
>
> << Any comments on any or all of the wheels would be greatly appreciated.
I am
> pretty firm on the Campy wheels as long as I don't hear any terrible
stories
> and at least one of the two (Zonda or Scirocco) is a good wheel,
>><BR><BR>
>
> Campagnolo hubs, Mavic, Torelli, or Velocity rims...built well...
>
> Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I need 2 additional rear wheels for Campagnolo 10 speed drive-trains. I would like to get at least
> one deep "V" of 40 to 50 mm and the other just needs to be strong enough to train on for a 160
> rider. The second wheel I would like to weigh no more than 1000 grams (or so).
>
> I already have a Eurus, and I am really happy with it. Since I have had such great luck, I was
> thinking of getting another "G3" wheel, either the Scirocco or the Zonda. I would get another
> Eurus, but I would prefer to spend less than $300 USD and hopefully closer to $200. I have not
> seen any of these wheels other than photos and I have no idea what to expect. Are either of these
> as strong or stronger than the Eurus or are they just heavier? The Eurus has 21 spokes and I think
> the other 2 have 24 spoke. That leads me to the next candidate; the Proton is about the same price
> of the Scirocco and has the same 24 spokes but are evenly distributed between drive and non drive.
> How is that wheel? It is a tad lighter than the Scirocco and logic tells me that it can't be as
> strong. Any testimonials or information would be greatly appreciated.
>
> For the other wheel, I am looking at the Spinergy XAERO Carbon SS, the Tilium (both 45 mm rims)
> and the slightly deeper (50mm) and lighter XLAB. I will likely get the clincher to get the
> superior brake surface.
>
> Any comments on any or all of the wheels would be greatly appreciated. I am pretty firm on the
> Campy wheels as long as I don't hear any terrible stories and at least one of the two (Zonda or
> Scirocco) is a good wheel, I think that will be great for me. I am not as confident in the carbon
> wheels. If I don't hear anything to inspire confidence in them, I might look instead at the Rolf,
> Bontrager and American Classic wheels.
>
> Thanks in advance.

About Campy Protons..

I weigh 175lbs and have a set that have 5800 miles on them and they are still perfectly true. They
are great wheels and have taken abuse from potholes and its fair share of crappy roads. I grease the
Chorus hubs every 2000 miles. Its been a great wheel for me.

B

Status
Not open for further replies.