Campag 8sp rear mech with 9sp cassette & levers?

David E. Belche

Guest
OK, this is an old chestnut which has probably popped up on r.b.t umpteen times, but all feedback
will be gratefully received. Basically, I'm about to take the plunge into the world of Campag 9
speed; I'm intending to use 9 speed levers and a 13-23 block (all Mirage) with a SRAM PC59 chain and
an Avanti 8sp. derailleur which is fitted with Tacx 9sp. pulleys. Am I likely to experience any
major shifting difficulties?

Thanks in advance, David E. Belcher

P.S. Replies to group only - the above e-mail address is strictly a dumping ground for Spam!!

David E. Belcher wrote:
> OK, this is an old chestnut which has probably popped up on r.b.t umpteen times, but all feedback
> will be gratefully received. Basically, I'm about to take the plunge into the world of Campag 9
> speed; I'm intending to use 9 speed levers and a 13-23 block (all Mirage) with a SRAM PC59 chain
> and an Avanti 8sp. derailleur which is fitted with Tacx 9sp. pulleys. Am I likely to experience
> any major shifting difficulties?

The usual answer here is that your derailleur will "work fine" but I didn't have such luck when I
tried it with 2003 Mirage 9sp Ergos (also coincidentally with an 8sp Avanti with Tacx pulleys...
lime green ones of course!) - the indexing was slightly out (and Campag pulleys didn't help). I
suggest giving it a go, though, and then buying a new mech if necessary. A Xenon will keep the cost
down and'll work just as well as a pricer model.

~PB

Originally posted by David E. Belche
OK, this is an old chestnut which has probably popped up on r.b.t umpteen times, but all feedback
will be gratefully received. Basically, I'm about to take the plunge into the world of Campag 9
speed; I'm intending to use 9 speed levers and a 13-23 block (all Mirage) with a SRAM PC59 chain and
an Avanti 8sp. derailleur which is fitted with Tacx 9sp. pulleys. Am I likely to experience any
major shifting difficulties?

Thanks in advance, David E. Belcher

P.S. Replies to group only - the above e-mail address is strictly a dumping ground for Spam!!
9s groups and compatibility: Rear derailleur

Does the 8s rear derailleur work in the 9s drivetrain?

No, because of dimensional and excursion problems.

per Campy @ URL:
http://www.campagnolo.com/qea_search.php?gid=3&cid=1&key=comp

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 09:19:38 +1050, daveornee wrote:

> 9s groups and compatibility: Rear derailleur
>

> Does the 8s rear derailleur work in the 9s drivetrain?
>
> No, because of dimensional and excursion problems.

Nonsense. They just want to sell you a new derailleur.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Enron's slogan: Respect, Communication, Integrity, and _`\(,_ | Excellence. (_)/ (_) |

David L. Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 09:19:38 +1050, daveornee wrote:
>
>> 9s groups and compatibility: Rear derailleur
>>
>> Does the 8s rear derailleur work in the 9s drivetrain?
>>
>> No, because of dimensional and excursion problems.
>
> Nonsense. They just want to sell you a new derailleur.

It is not nonsense, they want you to have something that works well, properly, not just barely good
enough if that. 9sp derailleur geometry changed in 2001 and is different to 8sp.

~PB

There are two different 9 speed Campy systems. Pre-2001 that will shift with 8 speed and pre-2001 9
speed rear changers, and then 2001+ Ergo levers that will shift 2001+ 9 speed and 10 speed changers.
You need to find out what year your Ergo levers are. If they are 2001+, you can either change the
"guts" or you can buy a new rear changer.

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 01:03:49 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:

> David L. Johnson wrote:
>> On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 09:19:38 +1050, daveornee wrote:
>>
>>> 9s groups and compatibility: Rear derailleur
>>>
>>> Does the 8s rear derailleur work in the 9s drivetrain?
>>>
>>> No, because of dimensional and excursion problems.
>>
>> Nonsense. They just want to sell you a new derailleur.
>
> It is not nonsense, they want you to have something that works well, properly, not just barely
> good enough if that. 9sp derailleur geometry changed in 2001 and is different to 8sp.

Wrong. Supposedly the new derailleurs are different from the old ones, though people with experience
(Such as Peter Chisolm) will tell you that they will still work with either old or new shifters.
But, the OP was changing 8-speed to 9-speed; that is, had an old shifter. There is no functional
difference between a pre-01 8-speed and 9-speed rear derailleur, so his 8-speed will work just
peachy keen with 9-speed shifters.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | You will say Christ saith this and the apostles say this; but _`\(,_ | what canst thou say?
-- George Fox. (_)/ (_) |

David L. Johnson wrote:

>> It is not nonsense, they want you to have something that works well, properly, not just barely
>> good enough if that. 9sp derailleur geometry changed in 2001 and is different to 8sp.
>
> Wrong. Supposedly the new derailleurs are different from the old ones, though people with
> experience (Such as Peter Chisolm) will tell you that they will still work with either old or new
> shifters.

Excuse me, I have experience with exactly the components the OP intends to mix and I know that they
don't work very well together. I refuse to be bullied into agreeing with Peter Chisolm on
everything!!

> But, the OP was changing 8-speed to 9-speed

The OP in *this* thread did not say that. I think you are getting mixed up with another thread.

> ; that is, had an old shifter. There is no functional difference between a pre-01 8-speed and
> 9-speed rear derailleur, so his 8-speed will work just peachy keen with 9-speed shifters.

David Belcher's post implies that he hasn't got the levers yet and will be getting NEW ones.

~PB

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 04:02:32 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:

> Excuse me, I have experience with exactly the components the OP intends to mix and I know that
> they don't work very well together. I refuse to be bullied into agreeing with Peter Chisolm on
> everything!!
>
>> But, the OP was changing 8-speed to 9-speed
>
> The OP in *this* thread did not say that. I think you are getting mixed up with another thread.

You're right on that. Mea culpa.

> David Belcher's post implies that he hasn't got the levers yet and will be getting NEW ones.

No, he said that he would be getting 9-speed levers. If he is cobbling together the components he
lists, it might well be that he was planning to get the levers at a swap meet. I am not clear as to
whether _any_ of the new levers/shifters that Campy claims to be incompatible with the older
components are 9-speed, or whether all of that it 10-speed.

Maybe Peter, or the OP, can shed some light. In most things, though, the official Campy site goes
overboard about what stuff you have to replace in order to upgrade.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Let's not escape into mathematics. Let's stay with reality. -- _`\(,_ | Michael Crichton
(_)/ (_) |

deb-<< Basically, I'm about to take the plunge into the world of Campag 9 speed; I'm intending to
use 9 speed levers and a 13-23 block (all Mirage) with a SRAM PC59 chain and an Avanti 8sp.
derailleur which is fitted with Tacx 9sp. pulleys. Am I likely to experience any major shifting
difficulties? >><BR><BR>

If the cogset is 9s, it should work fine and dandy as long as nothing is worn out. No need to fit 9s
pulleys, BTW....

David L. Johnson wrote:
> I am not clear as to whether _any_ of the new levers/shifters that Campy claims to be incompatible
> with the older components are 9-speed, or whether all of that it 10-speed.

Changes were with 9-speed only. Both the 9sp shifter cable pull and derailleur geometry changed in
2001 - I suppose to simplify and economise on manufacturing: 9 and 10sp deraileurs are now virtually
identical, etc.

Old 9sp: 3.05 mm pull 1.5 ratio 2001+ 9sp: 3.20 1.43 (same cog spacing) 10sp: 2.76 1.5

~PB

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> deb-<< Basically, I'm about to take the plunge into the world of Campag 9 speed; I'm intending to
> use 9 speed levers and a 13-23 block (all Mirage) with a SRAM PC59 chain and an Avanti 8sp.
> derailleur which is fitted with Tacx 9sp. pulleys. Am I likely to experience any major shifting
> difficulties? >><BR><BR>
>
> If the cogset is 9s, it should work fine and dandy as long as nothing is worn out.

Sounds promising. Most of the bits have had less than a year's use, incidentally, and have been
sitting around in my collection of odds, ends and spare parts for ages. Incidentally, the levers are
the '99 model (before they changed over to all-plastic construction), whilst I've yet to buy the
cassette and chain. The levers have already been purchased, but I'm not allowed to get my mitts on
them until Dec. 25th (condition laid down by Mum & Dad!) [1].

> No need to fit 9s pulleys, BTW....

It didn't have the original pulleys for some time anyway - they were swiped to keep another rear
mech going!

Thanks to everyone for their input so far, by the way, I'll see how it all works out, and shell out
for a new Mirage mech [2] if the current set-up is doomed to failure.

Regards, David E. Belcher

[1] Yes, I may be 29 in a few months' time, but being a cyclist still allows you to get flashy new
'toys' for Christmas for an awful long time. Mind you, I only managed a pair of Cannondale track
mitts last year :-(
[2] A favourite of mine, by virtue of the smart black & silver finish
- reminiscent of the excellent but extinct Mavic 841.

David E. Belcher wrote:
> Incidentally, the levers are the '99 model
/snip
> I'll see how it all works out, and shell out for a new Mirage mech if the current set-up is
> doomed to failure.

Best not to get a new mech then. A pre 2001 one would work best if mech does ever need replacing for
some reason.

Sorry for assuming levers were going to be new ones.

~PB