Campag 9 Speed Compatability

Roger

Guest
I have a bike fitted with 9 speed DT Levers, Record rear
gear and 13 - 21 cassette. I would like to fit the 14 - 28
cassette but the Record gear is limited to 26T max.Current
chain rings are 52 / 39.

The simplest solution I think would be to fit a Racing T
rear gear but as far as I understand these are not
compatible with DT levers only post 2000 Ergo Levers.

Has anyone ever tried a Racing T rear mech with DT levers.

The Racing T rear gear looks to me like a Chorus with a
longer jockey wheel carrier fitted.If I have to I will fit
Ergo levers but would prefer not to.

If anyone has an alternative suggestion to solve my problem
that they know works (other than resorting to simple
friction) I would be interested to hear of it.

TIA

Roger

Roger wrote:

> I have a bike fitted with 9 speed DT Levers, Record rear
> gear and 13 - 21 cassette. I would like to fit the 14 - 28
> cassette but the Record gear is limited to 26T max.Current
> chain rings are 52 / 39.
>
> The simplest solution I think would be to fit a Racing T
> rear gear but as far as I understand these are not
> compatible with DT levers only post 2000 Ergo Levers.

Sure they are, don't believe all of the advertising
hype...however, there's no reaon to replace your present
derailer, it will work just fine.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/capacity for an explanation

I just got back from a 50 mile ride on my 30 year old Brown
frame, after installing Veloce 10 speed brifters...with the
30 year old SunTour Cyclone rear derailer and Regina Oro 12-
22 6-speed freewheel...

It isn't always necessary to buy all the stuff they're
trying to sell you!

Sheldon "Save Your Money" Brown +--------------------------------
+
| Happy Reynolds Day! (5/31) |
+--------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West
Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped
Worldwide http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

roger-<< I have a bike fitted with 9 speed DT Levers, Record
rear gear and 13 - 21 cassette. I would like to fit the 14 -
28 cassette but the Record gear is limited to 26T
max.Current chain rings are 52 / 39. >><BR><BR>

Nope, just put it on, it will be fine. 'May' need a wee bit
longer chain, maybe one link, but that's it.

roger<< The simplest solution I think would be to fit a
Racing T rear gear but as far as I understand these are not
compatible with DT levers only post 2000 Ergo Levers.
>><BR><BR>

Not true in our extensive experience. You can use any rear
der/shifter combo with Campagnolo from 1992 or so. If ya
gotta have a longer cage rear der, get any medium cage,
2003/4 rear der.

Roger<< Has anyone ever tried a Racing T rear mech with DT
levers. >><BR><BR>

Sure, works great.

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

On Mon, 31 May 2004 21:19:13 +0000 (UTC), "Roger"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I have a bike fitted with 9 speed DT Levers, Record rear
>gear and 13 - 21 cassette. I would like to fit the 14 - 28
>cassette but the Record gear is limited to 26T max.Current
>chain rings are 52 / 39.

Just put the cassette on and adjust the "b" tension screw.
Make sure your chain is long enough to wrap the big
chainring and 28t cog.