Campag 9 Speed Down Tube Shifters

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Anonymous, Sep 6, 2003.

  1. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Has anyone any experience of matching 9 speed Down Tube levers with any of the current range of
    Campag rear gears?

    I have one bike with fitted current model 9 speed ergo's and a current rear gear (both post 2001
    Record), and another bike fitted with 9 speed DT levers and an old record (98) rear gear. In both
    cases shifting performance is 100% so I know whet is possible.

    I am putting together another bike and my preference is for DT shifters of which I have a pair of
    but have heard a variety of stories about how well the old/new combination works. Regrettably none
    of the people who have said it works have a bike to show me, its always "someone else they know"

    I believe there are still some old Record rear gears available that will work but the expense would
    not be appropriate for the planned use of the bike so am planning to use current Daytona/Centaur
    rear gears which are available and quite cheap.

    I know I can easily just try it but would be interested in others experiences as I do not want to
    keep bashing away to the early hours every night in my garage trying for 100% shifting performance
    when it will never happen.

    TIA for any comments.

    Roger

    Tags:

  2. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    Put in a 10-speed ratchet and use it with a 10-speed cluster. I had an old pair of 9-speed downtube
    levers where the cable pull didn't match the current model Centaur derailleur that I had, so I put a
    10s ratchet in it. Campagnolo part SL-RE319. If you do that, also replace the three G springs if the
    lever has seen any amount of use - SL-RE009.

    Nick

    news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone any experience of matching 9 speed Down Tube levers with any
    of
    > the current range of Campag rear gears?

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Nick Payne wrote:
    > Put in a 10-speed ratchet and use it with a 10-speed cluster. I had an old pair of 9-speed
    > downtube levers where the cable pull didn't match the current model Centaur derailleur that I had,
    > so I put a 10s ratchet in it. Campagnolo part SL-RE319. If you do that, also replace the three G
    > springs if the lever has seen any amount of use - SL-RE009.

    You are referring to Ergo levers. Down tube levers are the little basic old-style gear levers that
    fit on the down tube.

    ~PB

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > Nick Payne wrote:
    >> Put in a 10-speed ratchet and use it with a 10-speed cluster. I had an old pair of 9-speed
    >> downtube levers where the cable pull didn't match the current model Centaur derailleur that I
    >> had, so I put a 10s ratchet in it. Campagnolo part SL-RE319. If you do that, also replace the
    >> three G springs if the lever has seen any amount of use - SL-RE009.
    >
    > You are referring to Ergo levers. Down tube levers are the little basic old-style gear levers that
    > fit on the down tube.

    Sorry. I think I got that wrong. (Those part numbers look so similar to the Ergo parts). Please
    forget I ever wrote that!

    ~PB

  5. roger-<< Has anyone any experience of matching 9 speed Down Tube levers with any of the current
    range of Campag rear gears? >><BR><BR>

    Yes, works just fine as long as the DT shifters and rear der are Campagnolo.

    roger-<< I am putting together another bike and my preference is for DT shifters of which I have a
    pair of but have heard a variety of stories about how well the old/new combination works. >><BR><BR>

    From my experience, any Campagnolo ERGO or downtube shifter will work with ANY Campagnolo rear der,
    including the mysterious pre and post 2001 stuff..

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > Nick Payne wrote:
    > > Put in a 10-speed ratchet and use it with a 10-speed cluster. I had an old pair of 9-speed
    > > downtube levers where the cable pull didn't match the current model Centaur derailleur that I
    > > had, so I put a 10s ratchet in it. Campagnolo part SL-RE319. If you do that, also replace the
    > > three G springs if the lever has seen any amount of use - SL-RE009.

    "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> ,who is usually an informed Campagnolo parts guy, wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...
    > You are referring to Ergo levers. Down tube levers are the little basic old-style gear levers that
    > fit on the down tube.

    Pete, I believe he _is_ correctly referrring to the three-spring DT/HB lever with its smaller RE-319
    shift ring. The Ergo Ten part nunmber is RE-061 and requires but two springs.

  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > > Nick Payne wrote:
    > >> Put in a 10-speed ratchet and use it with a 10-speed cluster. I had an old pair of 9-speed
    > >> downtube levers where the cable pull didn't match the current model Centaur derailleur that I
    > >> had, so I put a 10s ratchet in it. Campagnolo part SL-RE319. If you do that, also replace the
    > >> three G springs if the lever has seen any amount of use - SL-RE009.

    > Pete Biggs wrote:
    > > You are referring to Ergo levers. Down tube levers are the little basic old-style gear levers
    > > that fit on the down tube.

    > Sorry. I think I got that wrong. (Those part numbers look so similar to the Ergo parts). Please
    > forget I ever wrote that!

    Ooops. I should have read further. Sorry.