campag advice needed

Robert France

Guest
just received my new Bianchi Gold Race from Evans cycles, with Campagnolo Xenon. ive only ever had
shimano on my bikes before and there are basically no instructions on how to shift properly with
this campagnolo malarky. the front chainring shifts perfect. the back shifts fine as well but makes
clicking noises on certain sprockets sometimes and also sort of skips or slips or maybe jumps off
one to sprocket to the the next. i havent taken it on the road yet, just used it on the trainer,
till i can get my head round
it.also what is "trimming"? any help/advice would be much appreciated. im pretty new to all this, so
if you could keep it simple so as i can understand easy.

well.....if its the same as my campag

firstly u will often miss-shift at first since the little lever goes to bigger sprocket rather than
littlest as with shimano. the lump at the side does the smaller rings.

for the front ring there are about 6 or 7 clicks instead of just 3. this means that when ur in the
biggest ring u can adjust the front derailleur so that it doesnt rub against the chain on the
smallest cog, then drop it down a notch for, say cogs 3&4 , so that the derailluer doesnt stick out
so much and possibly rub ur leg.

i think thats it....

panda

news:p[email protected]...

robert france wrote:
> just received my new Bianchi Gold Race from Evans cycles, with Campagnolo Xenon. ive only ever had
> shimano on my bikes before and there are basically no instructions on how to shift properly with
> this campagnolo malarky. the front chainring shifts perfect. the back shifts fine as well but
> makes clicking noises on certain sprockets sometimes and also sort of skips or slips or maybe
> jumps off one to sprocket to the the next.

Sounds like it's not been setup properly rather than operator error, ie. it's not your fault! What
are Evans doing letting this bike out like this?!

In middle or troublesome gears, try twiddling one of the cable adjusters (either one on rear mech or
on down tube) to index the rear gears properly. Clockwise makes the mech move towards larger
sprocket and vice versa. If that doesn't do it, the cable might be wrongly conneceted to the mech -
more details later if that could be the case, and there's a chance other things could be wrong too,
but try indexing first. See: http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

> also what is "trimming"?

Fine adjustment of the front mech. This is needed if/when the chain rubs against the cages of the
front derailleur in certain gears. The front mech can be moved in small "clicks". (I'm assuming the
Xenon front shifter has a trim facility; I know that the rear (right) Xenon shifter is different
from all other Campags).

~PB

I scribbled:
> In middle or troublesome gears, try twiddling one of the cable adjusters (either one on rear mech
> or on down tube) to index the rear gears properly. Clockwise makes the mech move towards larger
> sprocket and vice versa.

Sorry, wrong way round. Clockwise = towards smaller. Apols!

~PB