Campag Brake Install

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by nospam, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. nospam

    nospam Guest

    I am having some trouble installing a Record brake on a carbon rear stay. The bolt on the brake is
    12mm. The brake nut only engages about 3mm of the bolt. To get more engagement I figure there are
    two options.

    1. Get a longer bolt, I don' think this is possible; is this brake part replaceable??

    2. There is 8 mm of carbon or some material between the nut and the outside of the stay. I could
    drill out 4 mm, and then use a longer nut.

    If you want to see a picture goto: http://www.crlf.com/rearbrake.gif

    Tags:

  2. Kapers

    Kapers Guest

    Hi. You should be able to get a longer nut though. If your LBS does not have any in stock they can
    be ordered in for you (it became a common fix once Carbon forks became popular). Good luck. Keith.

    *------------------------------------------------* < > < "The knack lies in learning to throw
    yourself > < -at the ground and miss" >
    < D. Adams. > < > *-------------------------------------------------*

    > I am having some trouble installing a Record brake on a carbon rear stay. The bolt on the brake is
    > 12mm. The brake nut only engages about 3mm of the bolt. To get more engagement I figure there are
    > two options.
    >
    > 1. Get a longer bolt, I don' think this is possible; is this brake part replaceable??
    >
    > 2. There is 8 mm of carbon or some material between the nut and the outside of the stay. I could
    > drill out 4 mm, and then use a longer nut.
    >
    > If you want to see a picture goto: http://www.crlf.com/rearbrake.gif

  3. nospam->I am having some trouble installing a Record brake on a carbon rear
    >stay. The bolt on the brake is 12mm. The brake nut only engages about 3mm of the bolt.

    Looking at Campagnolo brakes use the longer 'nut' on the rear, instead of the front or look for a
    longer 'nut'-from Trek for instance.