campag centaur 10 speed issue

farrell

Jan 11, 2004
Hi

I have been having a really annoying problem with my rear derailleur and cassette (13/26) on my Campag Centaur 10 speed kit. The bike is only 3 months old and I clean it regularly ( every other day ).

I have found that when I shift up the cassette the chain jumps around and makes a hiddious noise - you know the kind - grinding metal/hacking noise. This only happens when the chain is in the middle two sprockets. It can take around 5 seconds for it to engage and when it settles I can feel a vibration and friction in my pedals. The derailleur also makes a slight grinding noise when in this gear and on closer inspection I noticed that the derailleur arm move backwards and forwards slightly - Is this normal?

I have checked the cables and cleaned then lubed the derailleur.

I have dialed the derailleur so that it shifts well up and down the cassette. This problem only happens after around 8 shifts - if I shift up and down the noise goes away and it runs fine.

Also, I have recently noticed that the chain jumps after every 10 links or so when I back pedal on the smallest cog (this is less important but it may be a indicator as to what is wrong).

I have done 2700 miles on it so parts may be becoming worn.

Any Ideas - I hate the thought that I might be prematurely wearing it out.

Chris

Check your chain length, and make sure the "b" screw on the rear derailleur is adjusted right so that the jockey wheels are not hitting the cogs.

Go to the campy website and look at their tech support for the rear deraileur. I had a lot of fidgety issues with my Chorus until I got serious about adjusting it rather than just messing around with it. It's awesome now. And it took at least 1500 miles to break in. Yours ain't wearing out.

The backpedaling jump thing is normal. Mine does that, too. Has to do with the shape of the teeth on the cogs to aid in shifting(look at them -- they look bent but supposed to be that way).

Originally posted by Aztec
Go to the campy website and look at their tech support for the rear deraileur. I had a lot of fidgety issues with my Chorus until I got serious about adjusting it rather than just messing around with it. It's awesome now. And it took at least 1500 miles to break in. Yours ain't wearing out.

The backpedaling jump thing is normal. Mine does that, too. Has to do with the shape of the teeth on the cogs to aid in shifting(look at them -- they look bent but supposed to be that way).
Yeah, make sure it's adjusted right before you start the random parts chainging routine. Could be lots of things,but best to start with the cheap fix first..Learn to measure a chain for wear.Takes care of alot of guesswork.

Make sure that there aren't any stiff links in the chain. You should be able to adjust the derailluer so you don't have that problem. You should take it to one of your best local bike mechanics and if it is an adjustment then you could watch him do the fix and improve your skills. I do this and have learned a lot over the years.