campag chorus and centaur

wardie2000

Jun 9, 2003
Could anyone tell me of whether it is worth spending the extra on the chorus groupset.

If anyone out there is riding with either, how does it ride, what are the changes like etc.

And any other info about either would be appreciated.

Thanks

Originally posted by wardie2000
Could anyone tell me of whether it is worth spending the extra on the chorus groupset.

If anyone out there is riding with either, how does it ride, what are the changes like etc.

And any other info about either would be appreciated.

Thanks

Always buy the best your budget allows. Aside from aesthetics, the most obvious difference is the weight savings. One good thing about Campy groupsets is their cross-groupset compatibility - ie. a 10 speed centaur RD will work on a 10s Record cassette and alike. So does a more expensive Chorus work better than a Centaur? Probably. But have not tried Centaur to give you an objective impression. Personally I like my Record (upgraded from Chorus - the best I could afford at the time) because it not only works better but also the attention it gets.

Originally posted by dennis dee
- ie. a 10 speed centaur RD will work on a 10s Record cassette and alike. Personally I like my Record because it not only works better but also the attention it gets.
As if Shimanos don't?? But right, always go for the poseur points.

I cannot comment on the Centaur group, because I have never ridden it!

OTOH, I have been riding on Chorus for about a year now, and am extremely satisfied. No problems at all, Campagnolo smooth, everything rides like a dream.

But I would think it over before choosing to pay more for Chorus. I am not sure I agree with what dennis dee says - do you really need Chorus? What kind of riding do you do?

Above and beyond ' bling ' factor [ok, the reason I purchased Chorus as opposed to Centaur!], I believe that the differences in performance on the road are not as noticeable as the nice marketing people in Vicenza might have you believe, much as my [few, I must admit :D ] shimano riding buddies tell me in moments of honesty when comparing dura ace and ultegra.

As for differences, apart from slightly more weight, I believe the other main thing is the bottom bracket axle length, which is 111mm on the Centaur (and all groups below it) and 102 mm for the Chorus and Record (for the doubles, triples are of course different). Then the Chorus 2004 has had the oodles of carbon fiber filter down from the 2003 Record, and looks absolutely mah-ve-lous!:D

In any event, enjoy the shopping and the riding!

'Worth' it is subjective and depends on how important $ is to you. If you scrape to eat, re-think the Chorus.

Chorus won't make you faster. It just looks better, and compared to the Veloce I have on another bike, is quieter and smoother-shifting.

Between Record and Chorus, the only real difference is weight - titanium instead of steel, carbon fiber instead of aluminum in some select locations. Otherwise, the actual design of the components seems to be identical.

From Chorus to Centaur, construction detail changes. The pedal gets only two bearings instead of three, things like that. Check the specs for full details, but when I was looking, I got the distinct impression that Chorus was built a bit stronger than Centaur.

I went for Chorus, because it wasn't that much more. Been riding it for almost two years. The group has performed to perfection. Aside from the initial 2-4 week adjustments when I first assembled the bike, I haven't touched anything, other than to clean and lubricate. Highly recommended.

Originally posted by JohnO
Between Record and Chorus, the only real difference is weight - titanium instead of steel, carbon fiber instead of aluminum in some select locations. Otherwise, the actual design of the components seems to be identical.

I beg to disagree. There are a whole lot of other differences between Record and Chorus and its in the small details and the attention to construction the Record gets that sets it way apart from Chorus (as do Chorus from Centaur, etc.). For instance, a fifth crank spider sits directly behind the crank. Also, the Record front rear brake isn't identical as the front and has slightly less material compared to a rear Chorus brake, hence the weight saving. The rear derailleur is gussetted in strategic places that save weight at the same time maintaining integrity. The brake shifting lever has a carbon fiber insert and has slightly less material compared to the Chorus.

I beg to disagree. There are a whole lot of other differences between Record and Chorus and its in the small details and the attention to construction the Record gets that sets it way apart from Chorus (as do Chorus from Centaur, etc.). For instance, a fifth crank spider sits directly behind the crank. Also, the Record front rear brake isn't identical as the front and has slightly less material compared to a rear Chorus brake, hence the weight saving. The rear derailleur is gussetted in strategic places that save weight at the same time maintaining integrity. The brake shifting lever has a carbon fiber insert and has slightly less material compared to the Chorus.

which means the only diff youll be able to tell is maybe that youll brake a lil worse

Originally posted by fushman
which means the only diff youll be able to tell is maybe that youll brake a lil worse

If that were true then maybe a whole lot of pros, bike teams and bike mechanics are idiots for using Record.

The point here is not to tell which among the groupsets in Campy's lineup reigns supreme. That in itself is obvious enough except for those who can't afford it or are stuck to what they have or are simply feigning sleep. What is important is that how these big names - Campy and Shimano alike - use their top-of-the-line components as test beds for trickling down the technology and knowledge into the more affordable groups. If one is satisfied with his/her Centaur or Chorus, fine. It's where the technology came from and who in the end benefits from these R&D exercises - consumers like us.

Originally posted by fushman
a fellow using the same brake pads and same cables just switched veloce (or daytona) they are the same brakes for the record brakes. they were not as powerful. maybe not scientific but I tired the veloce and they are more powerful then the shimano's I was using.

There are a whole lot of other differences between Record and Chorus and its in the small details and the attention to construction the Record gets that sets it way apart from Chorus (as do Chorus from Centaur, etc.). For instance, a fifth crank spider sits directly behind the crank.
I guess the poseurs have to justify the extra money they spent. 2004 chorus crank uses the same 4 arm configuration as record.

Originally posted by boudreaux
I guess the poseurs have to justify the extra money they spent. 2004 chorus crank uses the same 4 arm configuration as record.

2004 yes. before that no. You should know that...shame.

Ow my! I just got me an FSA Carbon Superlight. Its really expensive. :eek:

Poor boy is envious and he can't afford one so he resorts to sarcasm. Eat your heartout ... be grateful for your Cheng Shing equipped Hi-Ten Wall Mart special! LOL, ROTFL:p

2004 yes. before that no. You should know that...shame.

Poor boy is envious and he can't afford one so he resorts to sarcasm.
Oh, I knew that. The 'poor boy' could buy and sell you many times. AFWIW, I do have record, I just don't take every opportunity to tell the world about it.

Oh, I knew that. The 'poor boy' could buy and sell you many times.

Temper, temper small boy! LOL

AFWIW, I do have record, I just don't take every opportunity to tell the world about it.

That must be clarifying! ROTFL

All of which make it marginally lighter, but don't impact durability or functionality. When you buy Record over Chorus, you save weight and look a little cooler, but that's about it. (unless you spring for the carbon crankset, in which case you save a little weight and look a lot cooler) Cost difference was around $300, weight savings was less than half a pound.

Sure, if you have $300 to blow, get Record. But if you're like me, with not so unlimited funds and darn glad you can afford even Chorus, going to Record was passing the point of diminishing returns on investment. That $300 was more profitably spent on a set of Rolf Vector Pro wheels.

It might be worth noting that a lot of division 2 teams are using Chorus instead of Record for it's longer durability and cheaper running costs. For even the most seasonaed racer, Chorus is all you need.

I'm of the opinion that Centaur is more than adequate to race on, as is 105 in the Shimano range.

Im of the opinion that Chorus and Record differ purely cosmetically (and weight). The cranks (alloy versions) and brakes are all of the exact same design between the two groups. Including the single pivot rear brake. The only difference is labelling and materials in some cases. Down the price line to Centaur u lose some of the finish when compared to record or even chorus and the cranks and brakes go back to the original 5 arm cranks and dual pivot calipers like on the lower groups. Whether anybody can actually pick the difference in shifting and general ride of this group compared to the two above it, is of little interest to me as i think the price point brings this group into its own. The only difference i can see anybody noticing is the braking performance increase (with dual pivot rear). Even though Campag make a point that u dont need much rear brake power as most of the force is on the front wheel, the extra effort required for the single pivot rear brake in my opinion is only for the real weight weenies (i have ridden with these brakes and there is a noticable difference). Centaur in my opinion is best value, then chorus and then record (this sounds obvious but does need spelling out to some). GET THE CENTAUR!!!