Campag Chorus question

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Andy Smith, Apr 11, 2003.

  1. Andy Smith

    Andy Smith Guest

    When was the Campag Chorus set last available in 9 speed? Any websites that I might also find this
    out from? Campag's site doesnt seem to have historical information... I think.

    Thanks.

    --
    Andy

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Andy Smith wrote:
    > When was the Campag Chorus set last available in 9 speed? Any websites that I might also find this
    > out from? Campag's site doesnt seem to have historical information... I think.

    Bang-up-to-date 9-speed Chorus equipment is still available now. Despite what it looked like from
    the official info for a while (and I was confused myself), it seems the 9sp option was never
    withdrawn from Centaur, Chorus and Record. I'm not sure about next year, but you can stock up on it
    for now at least.

    I'm sure thousands of people have bought 10sp stuff, complete with its very expensive chain &
    cassettes, just because they thought they had no choice (for the top end Campag groups). Misleading
    info in the cycling press and adverts is hardly helping.

    See: www.campagnolo.com/psearch.php - groupsets..... note. As well as the specs for current groups,
    their spare parts section has some info on older stuff.

    And use www.parker-international.co.uk/components.htm - Campag ...as a "default" price guide

    ~PB

  3. Andy Smith

    Andy Smith Guest

    Many thanks for that Pete. Is there any way to tell a particular year of a campag set?

    I'm trying to find out what year this chorus stuff is. I'm told it's ~1999, but would just like to
    double check this.

    Thanks, Andy

    Pete Biggs wrote:

    > Bang-up-to-date 9-speed Chorus equipment is still available now. Despite what it looked like from
    > the official info for a while (and I was confused myself), it seems the 9sp option was never
    > withdrawn from Centaur, Chorus and Record. I'm not sure about next year, but you can stock up on
    > it for now at least.
    >
    > I'm sure thousands of people have bought 10sp stuff, complete with its very expensive chain &
    > cassettes, just because they thought they had no choice (for the top end Campag groups).
    > Misleading info in the cycling press and adverts is hardly helping.
    >
    > See: www.campagnolo.com/psearch.php - groupsets..... note. As well as the specs for current
    > groups, their spare parts section has some info on older stuff.
    >
    > And use www.parker-international.co.uk/components.htm - Campag ...as a "default" price guide
    >
    > ~PB

  4. Niv

    Niv Guest

    Yes, annoying isn't it. My "summer" bike, built in 1996 is Record/Chorus mix of 8 speed; quite
    adequate. My winter hack I upgraded last summer to Veloce 9 spd (from Sh 7 spd), hoping to maintain
    compatibiity between bikes in case a quick spare was needed on either. I now need to upgrade my 8
    spd to 9 spd (the ergo levers can have their innards uprated for about £40 I'm told). (Shame about
    my rear Hope hub, cannot be upgraded to 9 spd campy).

    However, is 9 spd still going to be available in future, I really don't want 10 spd, it's
    totallt OTT.

    Parkers are still doing 9 spd stuff, quoted alongside the 10 spd stuff; (a bit cheaper, not much).

    Niv.

    "Andy Smith" <[email protected]@tinnedfruit.org> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > When was the Campag Chorus set last available in 9 speed? Any websites
    that
    > I might also find this out from? Campag's site doesnt seem to have historical information...
    > I think.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Andy

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Niv wrote:
    > My "summer" bike, built in 1996 is Record/Chorus mix of 8 speed; quite adequate. My winter hack I
    > upgraded last summer to Veloce 9 spd (from Sh 7 spd), hoping to maintain compatibiity between
    > bikes in case a quick spare was needed on either. I now need to upgrade my 8 spd to 9 spd (the
    > ergo levers can have their innards uprated for about £40 I'm told).

    Should be less than that. Might be worth getting new ones anyway (even a low end model). They have a
    lighter action and most users prefer the shape.

    > However, is 9 spd still going to be available in future, I really don't want 10 spd, it's
    > totallt OTT.

    9sp spares are bound to be available for some years, but they'll gradually get more expensive
    and scarce.

    ~PB

  6. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Andy Smith wrote:
    > Is there any way to tell a particular year of a campag set?

    Only by comparing the appearance to catalogue pictures - and even then that won't necessarily
    pin-point it for some years . Unfortunutely, Campag don't use useful serial numbers (if any).

    If you haven't got the catalogues, best thing to do is either put pictures up on the web or describe
    some of the components in painfully meticulous detail (specs, materials, colours, logos, etc) and
    hope that someone here will recognise it.

    (I've only got 00 and 01 catalogues at the momement. Could do with some more myself).

    ~PB