Campag Chorus question

Andy Smith

Guest
When was the Campag Chorus set last available in 9 speed? Any websites that I might also find this
out from? Campag's site doesnt seem to have historical information... I think.

Thanks.

--
Andy

Andy Smith wrote:
> When was the Campag Chorus set last available in 9 speed? Any websites that I might also find this
> out from? Campag's site doesnt seem to have historical information... I think.

Bang-up-to-date 9-speed Chorus equipment is still available now. Despite what it looked like from
the official info for a while (and I was confused myself), it seems the 9sp option was never
withdrawn from Centaur, Chorus and Record. I'm not sure about next year, but you can stock up on it
for now at least.

I'm sure thousands of people have bought 10sp stuff, complete with its very expensive chain &
cassettes, just because they thought they had no choice (for the top end Campag groups). Misleading
info in the cycling press and adverts is hardly helping.

See: www.campagnolo.com/psearch.php - groupsets..... note. As well as the specs for current groups,
their spare parts section has some info on older stuff.

And use www.parker-international.co.uk/components.htm - Campag ...as a "default" price guide

~PB

Many thanks for that Pete. Is there any way to tell a particular year of a campag set?

I'm trying to find out what year this chorus stuff is. I'm told it's ~1999, but would just like to
double check this.

Thanks, Andy

Pete Biggs wrote:

> Bang-up-to-date 9-speed Chorus equipment is still available now. Despite what it looked like from
> the official info for a while (and I was confused myself), it seems the 9sp option was never
> withdrawn from Centaur, Chorus and Record. I'm not sure about next year, but you can stock up on
> it for now at least.
>
> I'm sure thousands of people have bought 10sp stuff, complete with its very expensive chain &
> cassettes, just because they thought they had no choice (for the top end Campag groups).
> Misleading info in the cycling press and adverts is hardly helping.
>
> See: www.campagnolo.com/psearch.php - groupsets..... note. As well as the specs for current
> groups, their spare parts section has some info on older stuff.
>
> And use www.parker-international.co.uk/components.htm - Campag ...as a "default" price guide
>
> ~PB

Yes, annoying isn't it. My "summer" bike, built in 1996 is Record/Chorus mix of 8 speed; quite
adequate. My winter hack I upgraded last summer to Veloce 9 spd (from Sh 7 spd), hoping to maintain
compatibiity between bikes in case a quick spare was needed on either. I now need to upgrade my 8
spd to 9 spd (the ergo levers can have their innards uprated for about £40 I'm told). (Shame about
my rear Hope hub, cannot be upgraded to 9 spd campy).

However, is 9 spd still going to be available in future, I really don't want 10 spd, it's
totallt OTT.

Parkers are still doing 9 spd stuff, quoted alongside the 10 spd stuff; (a bit cheaper, not much).

Niv.

news:[email protected]...

Niv wrote:
> My "summer" bike, built in 1996 is Record/Chorus mix of 8 speed; quite adequate. My winter hack I
> upgraded last summer to Veloce 9 spd (from Sh 7 spd), hoping to maintain compatibiity between
> bikes in case a quick spare was needed on either. I now need to upgrade my 8 spd to 9 spd (the
> ergo levers can have their innards uprated for about £40 I'm told).

Should be less than that. Might be worth getting new ones anyway (even a low end model). They have a
lighter action and most users prefer the shape.

> However, is 9 spd still going to be available in future, I really don't want 10 spd, it's
> totallt OTT.

9sp spares are bound to be available for some years, but they'll gradually get more expensive
and scarce.

~PB

Andy Smith wrote:
> Is there any way to tell a particular year of a campag set?

Only by comparing the appearance to catalogue pictures - and even then that won't necessarily
pin-point it for some years . Unfortunutely, Campag don't use useful serial numbers (if any).

If you haven't got the catalogues, best thing to do is either put pictures up on the web or describe
some of the components in painfully meticulous detail (specs, materials, colours, logos, etc) and
hope that someone here will recognise it.

(I've only got 00 and 01 catalogues at the momement. Could do with some more myself).

~PB