Campag Chorus rusting

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Colin, Apr 28, 2003.

  1. Colin

    Colin Guest

    Hi,

    I have a 10 speed Campag Chorus groupset, purchased in Sept 2002.

    I have now seen rust in the cassette & front der. Is this normal and should I be concerned, looks
    like surface rust at the moment.

    TIA

    Colin

    Tags:

  2. Openworld

    Openworld Guest

    Not normal........unless you dont lube your drivetrain. In which case you have learnt an expensive
    lesson. Replace cassette-chain and rings. Front derailuer can just be cleaned.

    "Colin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a 10 speed Campag Chorus groupset, purchased in Sept 2002.
    >
    > I have now seen rust in the cassette & front der. Is this normal and
    should
    > I be concerned, looks like surface rust at the moment.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Colin

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Colin
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a 10 speed Campag Chorus groupset, purchased in Sept 2002.
    >
    >I have now seen rust in the cassette & front der. Is this normal and should I be concerned, looks
    >like surface rust at the moment.

    It takes a lot of rust to cause a problem with cassette cogs or the front derailleur cage (assuming
    the pivots are ok), it is unlikely that you need to worry about that, but you do need lube. It is
    hard to imagine how you might get rusty cogs if you are using enough lubricant. If you are using
    some fancy "dry" lubricant then this is a message about its effectiveness in your riding conditions.
    If you are riding in very wet or salty conditions I would lube everything in sight including stem
    and seatpost, preferably overhaul the works. The cassette cogs are unlikely to be injured by rust
    but there are plenty of other things on the bike that are more sensitive to it.

    --Paul

  4. The anonymous "Openworld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Not normal........unless you dont lube your drivetrain. In which case you have learnt an expensive
    > lesson. Replace cassette-chain and rings. Front derailuer can just be cleaned.

    Your uninformed posts are becoming irritating. Please leave technical advice to people with
    appropriate knowledge and experience. Advising someone who reported rust on a cassette and front
    derailleur to replace his chain and aluminium alloy chain rings is just not helpful.

    John Retchford

  5. openworld-<< Replace cassette-chain and rings.

    Rings are aluminum, not rusted...

  6. Dick

    Dick Guest

    Openworld wrote:
    > Not normal........unless you dont lube your drivetrain. In which case you have learnt an expensive
    > lesson. Replace cassette-chain and rings. Front derailuer can just be cleaned.

    Since when does a little surface rust warrent replacing...anything. Just lube it up and go, the rust
    will work it's way out of the important areas. If the guy is that concerned he could just yank of
    the parts, clean em up and be on his way again.

    My beater lives outside 24/7/365. There is rust here and there but it's never caused a problem. I
    just make sure everything moves freely.

    Hell, go to a college town and see what half the kids are riding on, apparently rust can become a
    structural element over time.