Campag Compatible crank with Shimano Groupset

mooksy

Apr 28, 2004
Hi folks

My bike is currently setup with about a 3 year old Shimano Ultegra 9 speed groupset. Recently, I got hold of some new carbon cranks (Master carbon fiber composite?). I thought these were Shimano 9 speed compatible but am now a bit unsure as the chainrings are stamped 10/9 speed, which got me to thinking they are actually meant to be campag compatible (plus they are square taper and have a bcd of 135) .

The question is, if I get a new bottom bracket (as this crankset has the square taper connection, not the splined), will this crankset still function effectively with my remaining shimano drivetrain components?

Looking forward to your advice!

Best regards, Pete

Originally posted by mooksy
Hi folks

My bike is currently setup with about a 3 year old Shimano Ultegra 9 speed groupset. Recently, I got hold of some new carbon cranks (Master carbon fiber composite?). I thought these were Shimano 9 speed compatible but am now a bit unsure as the chainrings are stamped 10/9 speed, which got me to thinking they are actually meant to be campag compatible (plus they are square taper and have a bcd of 135) .

The question is, if I get a new bottom bracket (as this crankset has the square taper connection, not the splined), will this crankset still function effectively with my remaining shimano drivetrain components?

Looking forward to your advice!

Best regards, Pete
Ya posted this exact question somewhere else.Taking a poll? Yes it works.

You might want to ask a few questions about which type of square taper to get - there's more than one taper type, apparently, and they're close enough that you can't tell by looking at them. But mixing types can cause mechanical problems.

Originally posted by mjw_byrne
You might want to ask a few questions about which type of square taper to get - there's more than one taper type, apparently, and they're close enough that you can't tell by looking at them. But mixing types can cause mechanical problems.
Yeah, JIS(Japaneese industrial standard, used by shimano and most other oriental makers, and ISO, used by campy and many other european makers,but there are exceptions. And taper DOES matter, and they are not interchangable.And you also have to get the correct spindle length,to match the crank.

Thanks for that info....how can i tell what the taper is and what spindle length is needed? I can't seem to find any product info on the web (Master Carbon Fiber Composite Crank)?
Thanks in advance.

Thanks for that info....how can i tell what the taper is and what spindle length is needed? I can't seem to find any product info on the web (Master Carbon Fiber Composite Crank)?
Thanks in advance.
Probably only the maker knows for sure.I never heard of them.

Thanks very much for the help. This is pretty much the only info I can find out about them:

http://www.derks-wielersport.nl/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/74_75/products_id/2785

Does anyone have any idea from this as to which bottom bracket may work or how i can find out about the manufacturer to get in contact with them?

Many thanks.

From the web page:

Master Carbon Fiber Composite crank set T53/39 Campa

Master Carbon super light crank set features alloy-carbon construction. The webbing between the arms of the spider is more pronounced than the 2003 Record version, but the carbon fiber has a weave of overlapping fibers.

The chain rings, machined from T6 aluminum alloy, are treated with a matte black finish, and are equipped with ramps and pins to make shifting easier. The chaining are 10/9 speed compatible. The design of the rings also includes a wider spread on the webs that reach from the outside of the big ring to the chain ring attachment points than on Campangolo's rings. The wider design is stronger, and results in a stiffer setup.

Chain rings feature pins and ramps
The chain ring bolts are machined aluminum allow, as are the crank fixing bolts. Overall, it's a very attractive package; we're waiting to see how long the matte finish on the back side of the big chain ring lasts, but that's a minor concern. The carbon fiber layup is clean and attractive, and the gloss finish is flawless. Master advertises the weight of the crank set at 480 grams, FSA Superlight at 505 grams, and still little less as Campagnolo's record 500-gram carbon crank set.

Complete your carbon crankset set with:
bottom bracket Campa 108mm € 59.00

Thanks very much for the help. This is pretty much the only info I can find out about them:

http://www.derks-wielersport.nl/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/74_75/products_id/2785

Does anyone have any idea from this as to which bottom bracket may work or how i can find out about the manufacturer to get in contact with them?

Many thanks.

From the web page:

Master Carbon Fiber Composite crank set T53/39 Campa

Master Carbon super light crank set features alloy-carbon construction. The webbing between the arms of the spider is more pronounced than the 2003 Record version, but the carbon fiber has a weave of overlapping fibers.

The chain rings, machined from T6 aluminum alloy, are treated with a matte black finish, and are equipped with ramps and pins to make shifting easier. The chaining are 10/9 speed compatible. The design of the rings also includes a wider spread on the webs that reach from the outside of the big ring to the chain ring attachment points than on Campangolo's rings. The wider design is stronger, and results in a stiffer setup.

Chain rings feature pins and ramps
The chain ring bolts are machined aluminum allow, as are the crank fixing bolts. Overall, it's a very attractive package; we're waiting to see how long the matte finish on the back side of the big chain ring lasts, but that's a minor concern. The carbon fiber layup is clean and attractive, and the gloss finish is flawless. Master advertises the weight of the crank set at 480 grams, FSA Superlight at 505 grams, and still little less as Campagnolo's record 500-gram carbon crank set.

Complete your carbon crankset set with:
bottom bracket Campa 108mm € 59.00
I think if it was me,I would order that BB,as neither shimano or campy have current offerings in a 108 spindle length.

if that one was not available would you go for bigger or smaller spindle length??

if that one was not available would you go for bigger or smaller spindle length??
No, that one supposedly matches the crank and gives the correct chainline, and has the correct taper.