Campag double gearing help

Colin Marshall

Guest
Hi,

I'm going to the tdf this year and hope to climb some of the mountains while I'm there.

I have a 2002 10 speed Campag Chorus double setup, with a 53/39 and
12/25. I realise this is not going to be low enough for me to get up, unless I become superman soon.

What is the lowest I can get for my existing setup. I know there is a
13/26 but what about the front? Something like a 33 or 35 would be nice, but is it possible?

TIA

Colin

On 29 Jan 2004 16:03:03 -0800, [email protected] (Colin Marshall)
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm going to the tdf this year and hope to climb some of the mountains while I'm there.
>
>I have a 2002 10 speed Campag Chorus double setup, with a 53/39 and
>12/25. I realise this is not going to be low enough for me to get up, unless I become superman
> soon.
>
>What is the lowest I can get for my existing setup. I know there is a
>13/26 but what about the front? Something like a 33 or 35 would be nice, but is it possible?

You need to change your crankset and bb. That can be done for <$150 for a 48 or 50/34. You can use a
13/29 cassette with that combination. If you get a Centaur or Veloce 10 sp cassette, you can pull
the 16 and use the 12 and 13 off your 12/25 to make a 12/29.

I just made my 13/26 Chorus cassette a 12/26 today. I took off the
17/18 combination and put in a 17 and a 12 and 13. I got the cogs from a Campy 9sp cassette. I
needed a 3 mm spacer between the 19/21 cluster and the 17 to get proper spacing. I needed an
additional 2.4 mm spacer. A loose cog cassette would have gone together easier.

Colin Marshall wrote:
> I have a 2002 10 speed Campag Chorus double setup, with a 53/39 and
> 12/25. I realise this is not going to be low enough for me to get up, unless I become superman
> soon.
>
> What is the lowest I can get for my existing setup. I know there is a
> 13/26 but what about the front? Something like a 33 or 35 would be nice, but is it possible?

Not with Campag double cranks as 39T is the smallest size that can possibly fit the 135mm bolt
circle diameter.

~PB

Thanks Paul, what sort of Campag bb and crankset will I require, currenlty its an English bb. The
rear der is a short cage, is that OK?

Thanks

Colin

"Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 29 Jan 2004 16:03:03 -0800, [email protected] (Colin Marshall) wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm going to the tdf this year and hope to climb some of the mountains while I'm there.
> >
> >I have a 2002 10 speed Campag Chorus double setup, with a 53/39 and
> >12/25. I realise this is not going to be low enough for me to get up, unless I become superman
> > soon.
> >
> >What is the lowest I can get for my existing setup. I know there is a
> >13/26 but what about the front? Something like a 33 or 35 would be nice, but is it possible?
> >
> You need to change your crankset and bb. That can be done for <$150 for a 48 or 50/34. You can use
> a 13/29 cassette with that combination. If you get a Centaur or Veloce 10 sp cassette, you can
> pull the 16 and use the 12 and 13 off your 12/25 to make a 12/29.
>
> I just made my 13/26 Chorus cassette a 12/26 today. I took off the
> 17/18 combination and put in a 17 and a 12 and 13. I got the cogs from a Campy 9sp cassette. I
> needed a 3 mm spacer between the 19/21 cluster and the 17 to get proper spacing. I needed an
> additional 2.4 mm spacer. A loose cog cassette would have gone together easier.

Colin-<< I'm going to the tdf this year and hope to climb some of the mountains while I'm there.
>><BR><BR> << What is the lowest I can get for my existing setup. I know there is a
13/26 but what about the front? Something like a 33 or 35 would be nice, but is it possible?
>><BR><BR>

13-29 is available from Campagnolo, no need to get a new rear der, I have put them on the short cage
rear der all the time. Due to the bolt diameter of this crank, 39t is the smallest. For more money,
you could get a 'Tyler' crank, 110mm bolt diameter, and get a 50/34, coupled with the bigger cogset
will get ya up there.

(14)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Paul-<< If you get a Centaur or Veloce 10 sp cassette, you can pull the 16 and use the 12 and 13 off
your 12/25 to make a 12/29.
>><BR><BR>

I see you recommend this all the time as if a 50t and a 13t is something to be avoided. I have used
a 50/13 combo for about 5 years here in Colorado and I have never 'run out of gears'.

For this gent, I think a 50/13 would be more than adequate, no need for him to spend more $$ for a 1
tooth reduction...IMHO<------

If one is considering a 50-13 top gear and a 34-29 low, a FSA afterburner 44-29 double and a 11-27
Wheels cassette nets a higher high and a lower low. I have been using this setup with the old
Ritchey 2X9 44-29 and love it. Tom

--
Bruni Bicycles
"Where art meets science"
news:[email protected]...

"Pete Biggs" <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Colin Marshall wrote:
> > I have a 2002 10 speed Campag Chorus double setup, with a 53/39 and
> > 12/25. I realise this is not going to be low enough for me to get up, unless I become superman
> > soon.
> >
> > What is the lowest I can get for my existing setup. I know there is a
> > 13/26 but what about the front? Something like a 33 or 35 would be nice, but is it possible?
>
> Not with Campag double cranks as 39T is the smallest size that can possibly fit the 135mm bolt
> circle diameter.

Agree, if you want to change your double crank to run a 33t or 34t inner chainring, you will need to
get a 110BCD double crank. TA, Ritchey (coming for 2004), Sugino and Stronglight all either have or
will have a 110BCD double crank. For more see here: TA (most expensive)
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/zephyr.asp http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/carmina.asp

Andy Muzi's Yellow Jersey has a great deal on Sugino cranks: see Sugino XD2/600 for about $120 here:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/cranx2.html

Colin wrote:
> what sort of Campag bb and crankset will I require, currenlty its an English bb. The rear der is a
> short cage, is that OK?

You'll either need a triple Campag crankset or a non-Campag double or triple crankset that can take
a smaller inner ring. Front derailleur needs to suit chainrings but any front derailleur can be used
with Campag Ergos.

Medium cage derailleur would be best if going triple (with exsiting cassette), otherwise short cage
will be ok unless using a particularly wide cassette. BB needs to suit cranks.

~PB

How much do you want to spend? As already mentioned the easiest and quickest is to get a Campagnolo
13-29 10 speed cassette and new longer chain and put it on. Not sure how cheap or expensive 10 speed
13-29 cassettes are. $60? $80? Chain will be about $30 give or take. But a 39x29 low gear may not be
as low as you need.

If you need lower then you have to get a triple front crankset. A 110 bcd double will get you a bit
lower but not enough to matter. Get a triple and get real low gears. Can't think of a more
unenjoyable way to spend a trip in France riding up mountains with too high of gears.

Excel Sports sells a Centaur triple kit for $225 I believe. Crank, front and rear derailleurs, and
bottom bracket. I have this setup and used it on a Rocky Mountain biking week. The 30 tooth small
front ring matched with my 28 large rear cog was just barely low enough. If you go the triple route,
buy a cheap 24 and/or 26 74 mm bcd chainring from Nashbar for $5-10. Or about $20 from Excel. A 24
or 26 front inner chainring matched to your existing 25 large rear cog should get you low enough to
enjoy the ride.

Your existing low gear of 39x25 is 41 gear inches. (Front chainring teeth divided by rear cog teeth
times wheel diameter of 26.5 inches.) A 34x25 comination is 36 gear inches. You have to buy a new
crankset to get this. A 39x29 combo is 36 gear inches. You have to buy a new rear cassette and chain
to get this. Probably cheaper than the new compact crankset, unless you can find a really cheap old,
used, NOS, compact crankset somewhere. New compact cranksets are in style now so they are expensive.
But a triple gives you the lowest and most useful gears. A 30x25 combo gives you 32 gear inches. You
have to buy a new triple crankset, bottom bracket, derailleurs for this, $225. And with a 26 inner
chainring, $5-10 from Nashbar, you get a 26x25 28 gear inch low gear.

news:<[email protected]>...