Campag Ergo Double/Triple Compatablity

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Gareth Thomas, Apr 11, 2003.

  1. I always understood that any Campag Ergo levels would shift either a double or triple chainset
    without modification. However several web sites I've seen classify double and triple Ergo levers as
    2 seperate items, and when I just called one of these stores they were certain that the 2 were not
    the same and not interchangeable. So what's the story?

    I currently have a double chainset on my commuter but would like to have the option of changing to a
    triple at some point in the future. If I ran a triple left-hand lever over a double chainset,
    wouldn't the high + low stops effectively limit the movement of the fder?

    Lastly, I always understoof that Campag Ergos did not index the front shift, but looking at the new
    Campag-equiped bikes at a local store, the left-hand shifters seemed to be indexed. Was I imagining
    this or have they indeed changed recently? My late-90s Veloce Ergos are definitely not indexed on
    the front.

    Thank you folks.

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, gthomas233 @yahoo.co.uk says...

    > I always understood that any Campag Ergo levels would shift either a double or triple chainset
    > without modification. However several web sites I've seen classify double and triple Ergo levers
    > as 2 seperate items, and when I just called one of these stores they were certain that the 2 were
    > not the same and not interchangeable.

    Possible, but I doubt it. The control levers are sold separately from the crankset. I bought a
    Record triple gruppo last year, and don't recall seeing any mention of double or triple on the
    control lever packaging.

    > I currently have a double chainset on my commuter but would like to have the option of changing to
    > a triple at some point in the future. If I ran a triple left-hand lever over a double chainset,
    > wouldn't the high + low stops effectively limit the movement of the fder?

    If properly adjusted, they always do, don't they? But seriously, this sounds like a reasonable
    approach, if in fact there is such a thing as a triple-specific control lever.

    > Lastly, I always understoof that Campag Ergos did not index the front shift, but looking at the
    > new Campag-equiped bikes at a local store, the left-hand shifters seemed to be indexed. Was I
    > imagining this or have they indeed changed recently? My late-90s Veloce Ergos are definitely not
    > indexed on the front.

    The L control lever clicks just like the R, but the shifting is not indexed in the sense of one
    click per cog. Individual clicks represent trim adjustment. However, one full "sweep" of either of
    the up- or down-shift levers will almost always put you on the next larger or smaller chainring,
    although once the chain is engaged you may need a click or two in the opposite direction to keep the
    chain from rubbing the cage.

    Having clicks in the control lever has not eliminated the need for finesse when shifting the front
    derailleur! Which gives me a degree of pleasure as a long-time downtube-friction-shifting holdout.

    Jeff Travis

  3. On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 08:09:20 +0000, Gareth Thomas wrote:

    > I always understood that any Campag Ergo levels would shift either a double or triple chainset
    > without modification. However several web sites I've seen classify double and triple Ergo levers
    > as 2 seperate items, and when I just called one of these stores they were certain that the 2 were
    > not the same and not interchangeable. So what's the story?

    Campy Ergo will shift any double or triple front derailleur/crank combo you want.

    > I currently have a double chainset on my commuter but would like to have the option of changing to
    > a triple at some point in the future.

    My road bike has a mountain-bike crankset so I can get old-fart low gears.
    Most of the time I use it as a double, but for tours I attach the granny
    and re-adjust the front derailleur. Works perfectly. I use a Campy front
    derailleur, but others would also work fine. Since Ergo fronts are not
    really indexed, compatibility is no more of a problem than 2-vs-3 rings.

    > If I ran a triple left-hand lever over a double chainset, wouldn't the high + low stops
    > effectively limit the movement of the fder?

    Yes

    > Lastly, I always understoof that Campag Ergos did not index the front shift, but looking at the
    > new Campag-equiped bikes at a local store, the left-hand shifters seemed to be indexed.

    Huh. You mean single-click indexed shifting? That would be news to me, but I haven't played with the
    new equipment yet.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | And what if you track down these men and kill them, what if you _`\(,_ | killed all of us?
    From every corner of Europe, hundreds, (_)/ (_) | thousands would rise up to take our places.
    Even Nazis can't kill that fast. -- Paul Henreid (Casablanca).

  4. Gareth-<< I always understood that any Campag Ergo levels would shift either a double or triple
    chainset without modification. However several web sites I've seen classify double and triple Ergo
    levers as 2 seperate items,

    They are not correct. Campagnolo ERGO left/front shifters have been double and triple compatible
    since 1992 and remain the same today.

    << when I just called one of these stores they were certain that the 2 were not the same and not
    interchangeable. So what's the story?

    This 'store' has their head in their arse....Only DuraAce triple left shifter is triple only..