Campag Ergo Shifters - Which Ones?

Webber Daniel

Guest
After many years faithful service from old veloce 8spd ergos, Im going to upgrade to 9spd (shifters
are getting rough and I fancy new ones).

Which 2002/3 Ergos should I buy for my training / hack bike? Is it worth getting Chorus for the
ball bearing pivots or would I be fine with centaur as their seems to be quite a price difference
between these?

Anyone had any experience with these shifters?

cheers Dan

I had a roommate in college that passed on this bit of wisdom: buy the biggest gnarliest thing
you can afford. That way you won't have to upgrade as often. Works in a lot of areas of life, not
just bikes.

Seems to work, I have Dura Ace on both my road bikes now, and haven't had to mess with the
components through several frames...

The nice thing about the Ergo levers is that you can buy the little gizmo on the inside that
controls the shifts instead of a whole set of levers. I like the longer bodies of the older Ergos,
but if you want the new more ergo Ergo levers, by all means buy the best you can afford.

> After many years faithful service from old veloce 8spd ergos, Im going to upgrade to 9spd
> (shifters are getting rough and I fancy new ones).
>
> Which 2002/3 Ergos should I buy for my training / hack bike? Is it worth getting Chorus for the
> ball bearing pivots or would I be fine with centaur as their seems to be quite a price difference
> between these?
>
> Anyone had any experience with these shifters?
>
> cheers Dan

It depends on how much time you spend on the hack bike. You may never notice the difference between
Chorus and Centaur. If you want a wee bit more snob satisfaction, though, go with the Chorus. Then
again, if you can find Record for about $30 more, go big!

I doubt my Record calipers stop me $60 better than Chrorus. A bit prettier cable bolt, though...

[email protected] wrote:
> After many years faithful service from old veloce 8spd ergos, Im going to upgrade to 9spd
> (shifters are getting rough and I fancy new ones).
>
> Which 2002/3 Ergos should I buy for my training / hack bike? Is it worth getting Chorus for the
> ball bearing pivots or would I be fine with centaur as their seems to be quite a price difference
> between these?
>
> Anyone had any experience with these shifters?

I've experience with Avanti 8sp Ergos (probably similar to your Veloce's) and new Chorus 9sp's. The
new ones certainly have a lighter action, but I understand all the new Ergos do anyway. The ball
bearings will only be making part of that difference (reducing friction as the lever is swung, but
the guts that do the "clicks" is the same as in new lesser models). But I haven't tried new cheaper
Ergos myself, so can't fully answer your question.

What I do know, though, is that Veloce 9sp's are exactly the same Centaur 9sp's except the Centaur's
have "lightened" gear levers with holes in them! Mirage are the same again except have plastic
levers. I would get Veloce or Mirage for the hack bike and save the money for other components.

Note. Centaur & Chrorus Ergos are now 10-speed only, but these can be converted to 9sp or you may
find old 9sp stock.

~PB

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 22:32:35 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>Which 2002/3 Ergos should I buy for my training / hack bike? Is it worth getting Chorus for the
>ball bearing pivots or would I be fine with centaur as their seems to be quite a price difference
>between these?
>
>Anyone had any experience with these shifters?

I have only 9sp and a few bicycles. 1- Record, 1- Mirage, 1- Daytona, 1- Centaur and I sold a
bicycle with Chorus. They work the same to
me. I happen to like black plastic and I think that Mirage is a clear value winner. I like the
holes in the levers of the Daytona.

webber-<< Which 2002/3 Ergos should I buy for my training / hack bike?

Mirage or Veloce if you don't like the plastic levers-

They all work the same-from Record thru Mirage and all are convertible 8s-9s-10s-9s-8s-

> "Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > I had a roommate in college that passed on this bit of
> wisdom: buy the
> > biggest gnarliest thing you can afford. That way you
> won't have to upgrade
> > as often. Works in a lot of areas of life, not just
> bikes.
>
> Keep in mind that stuff like fancy sports equipment is marketed at immature college-age people who
> don't know any better, and are looking for "things" to define who they are.

Did you keep reading, or are you going to pull a quote out of context?

Mike

> Getting back to Campy shifters, can't you just replace the shift mechanism, upgrading the 8 speed
> unit to a 9?

You DIDN'T keep reading!