Campag freehub surprise - help needed.

toomanybikes

Nov 1, 2004
So speak to me oh wise ones ..............

I am in Phoenix at the moment. A friend asked me to give him a hand yesterday with a Record rear hub, said it sounded rough, and it was.

The hub is, I am guessing, 1998 / 1999 - might even have originally been a 9 speed.

We had a very difficult time getting the cogs off and it became clear why as soon as we got the last one off. The whole freehub body was cracked right through, top to bottom.

In a city of 5 million people we actually found a freehub and went back to his house to install it.

Problem.

On the old freehub, the "ring" at the bottom - the pawl carrier has a perfectly round interior dimension.

I could get the new one to seat on the axle and when I looked at it, the pawl carrier ring has 3 flat surfaces around the interior dimension - ?

At this point I am thinking I should just be able to unscrew the carrier on the new unit, screw the old on and be good to go. Of course I can't get the pawl carrier off the new one - soaking it in penetrating oil at the the mo to see if it will loosen up.

But what gives with the flat faces where the freehub pawl carrier will mate to the axle?? Have you ever seen that before, I can't figure out what the point is if the freehub is supposed to be able to turn freely on the axle, how does it spin on a round axle with flat faces on the inside face of the ring??????

Any of this make sense?

Any ideas at this point?

I'm not picturing what you are describing ...

Are you saying that the 'new' freehub body is just the alloy shell sans the core (the bearings) & the pawl carrier?

Post a picture of damaged freehub body AND the 'new' freehub body when you have the chance ...

toomanybikes said:
So speak to me oh wise ones ..............

I am in Phoenix at the moment. A friend asked me to give him a hand yesterday with a Record rear hub, said it sounded rough, and it was.

The hub is, I am guessing, 1998 / 1999 - might even have originally been a 9 speed.

We had a very difficult time getting the cogs off and it became clear why as soon as we got the last one off. The whole freehub body was cracked right through, top to bottom.

In a city of 5 million people we actually found a freehub and went back to his house to install it.

Problem.

On the old freehub, the "ring" at the bottom - the pawl carrier has a perfectly round interior dimension.

I could get the new one to seat on the axle and when I looked at it, the pawl carrier ring has 3 flat surfaces around the interior dimension - ?

At this point I am thinking I should just be able to unscrew the carrier on the new unit, screw the old on and be good to go. Of course I can't get the pawl carrier off the new one - soaking it in penetrating oil at the the mo to see if it will loosen up.

But what gives with the flat faces where the freehub pawl carrier will mate to the axle?? Have you ever seen that before, I can't figure out what the point is if the freehub is supposed to be able to turn freely on the axle, how does it spin on a round axle with flat faces on the inside face of the ring??????

Any of this make sense?

Any ideas at this point?

Yes, what you have is a freehub body from a 2007/8+ Campagnolo hub, that has a one piece freehub/pawl carrier and unfortunately, it is not backward compatible to the older, even tho aluminum, axles. You either need an older feeehub body(I have one) or a new axle for the freehub body you have. The freehub spliting issue was pretty common, why they went to a one piece freehub/pawl carrier. Screwing the ratchet ring into the older freehub body caused it to split.

Peter@vecchios said:
Yes, what you have is a freehub body from a 2007/8+ Campagnolo hub, that has a one piece freehub/pawl carrier and unfortunately, it is not backward compatible to the older, even tho aluminum, axles. You either need an older feeehub body(I have one) or a new axle for the freehub body you have. The freehub spliting issue was pretty common, why they went to a one piece freehub/pawl carrier. Screwing the ratchet ring into the older freehub body caused it to split.

I have 2 new ones on the way to my shop. Much more expensive tho..$130.

Peter@vecchios said:
I have 2 new ones on the way to my shop. Much more expensive tho..$130.
YIKES!

I've got to believe that the OP could cannibalize a new MIRAGE/VELOCE/CENTAUR hub for all the necessary components for less than that $130 ...

That is, all the parts (freehub body, loose bearings, pawls, axle, nuts, whatever) should transfer. The only thing that would be a little difficult to transfer is the actual ratchet ring that the pawls engage within the hub, itself.

alfeng said:
YIKES!

I've got to believe that the OP could cannibalize a new MIRAGE/VELOCE/CENTAUR hub for all the necessary components for less than that $130 ...

That is, all the parts (freehub body, loose bearings, pawls, axle, nuts, whatever) should transfer. The only thing that would be a little difficult to transfer is the actual ratchet ring that the pawls engage within the hub, itself.

Mirage/Veloce were cart bearings, steel axles and not compatible freehubs.

If he did find a 2006 or older Centaur, yes that would be compatible. In 2007 Centaur became like Veloce/Mirage, steel axle, different freehub.

What the gent has is the freehub from the aluminum axled hubs, made from 1999(Record/Chorus/Daytona-Centaur thru today(Record only)) and the freehub changed in 2007...

The above mentioned freehubs, pawls, axles, etc are not compatible.

Peter@vecchios said:
Mirage/Veloce were cart bearings, steel axles and not compatible freehubs.

If he did find a 2006 or older Centaur, yes that would be compatible. In 2007 Centaur became like Veloce/Mirage, steel axle, different freehub.

What the gent has is the freehub from the aluminum axled hubs, made from 1999(Record/Chorus/Daytona-Centaur thru today(Record only)) and the freehub changed in 2007...

The above mentioned freehubs, pawls, axles, etc are not compatible.
Okay ... thanks for the clarification.

I had previously indicated that I could not envision which hub type he was referring to ...

And, honestly, even though I realize that the then-new style shifters were introduced in 1998, I didn't think that the hubs with the aluminum (or, Titanium!) axles came about until ~2000 ...

So, I was incorrectly presuming the OLDer, early-90s style rear hub design with the big "bell" ...

So, my bad.