Campag front derailler shifting

nitrous

Oct 25, 2004
Just took my first ride on my new bike - my first bike with Campag (Centaur). Quick question, should I have to click the shifter 4 or 5 times to get the front derailer to shift? Has it been improperly adjusted or is this normal?

Cheers

nitrous said:
Just took my first ride on my new bike - my first bike with Campag (Centaur). Quick question, should I have to click the shifter 4 or 5 times to get the front derailer to shift? Has it been improperly adjusted or is this normal?

Cheers
Yeah, this is perfectly normal. The front shifter is a mirror-image of the rear one, so that you can hook either shifter up to either derailleur, i.e. you are not forced to use your right hand for rear shifts and your left hand for front shifts. But since a rear shift takes less cable movement than a front shift, it takes about 4 clicks, give or take.

mjw_byrne said:
Yeah, this is perfectly normal. The front shifter is a mirror-image of the rear one, so that you can hook either shifter up to either derailleur, i.e. you are not forced to use your right hand for rear shifts and your left hand for front shifts. But since a rear shift takes less cable movement than a front shift, it takes about 4 clicks, give or take.
What a load of BS! That's not just a load,but the biggest load I ever heard!! :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

nitrous said:

Cheers
The front shifter has a fine ratchet in it. If properly adjusted you ought to be able to shift rings with one sweep of the lever. There might be several clicks in there but it shouldn't take 4 or 5 separate motions.

boudreaux said:
You didn't learn anything, and don't go to to bank with that load of horse pucky.
Sorry boudreaux, a little confused. Is mjw full of sh*t or is it the campy shifters that are full of sh*t?

boudreaux said:
The front shifter has a fine ratchet in it. If properly adjusted you ought to be able to shift rings with one sweep of the lever. There might be several clicks in there but it shouldn't take 4 or 5 separate motions.
That was my point - I can change in one swoop of the lever, but was enquiring as to whether it should just be one click if peoperly adjusted.

nitrous said:
Sorry boudreaux, a little confused. Is mjw full of sh*t or is it the campy shifters that are full of sh*t?
I have yet to see a Campy shifter that was full of sh*t.

nitrous said:
That was my point - I can change in one swoop of the lever, but was enquiring as to whether it should just be one click if peoperly adjusted.
The clicks are always in there(it's a rachet mechanism). They allow you to also trim the FD.

It ain't BS, boudreaux, I read this on a website where a guy with only one arm (the left one) wanted to do rear shifts with the left shifter using a Campag system, and he found the solution was to just hook the left shifter up to the rear mech. Why else to you think Campag left shifters have so many clicks? As you are fond of reminding us, it's NOT so you can trim the derailleur on the move, because a properly adjusted one doesn't need that.

mjw_byrne said:
It ain't BS, boudreaux, I read this on a website where a guy with only one arm (the left one) wanted to do rear shifts with the left shifter using a Campag system, and he found the solution was to just hook the left shifter up to the rear mech. Why else to you think Campag left shifters have so many clicks?
Well, why don't you try it and report back.The shifting drums aren't the same. you can't even get enough clicks out of the front one to shift a 9 or 10 speed index rear.It's possible it could work depending on the cogset used,but it's serendipity,not because campy designed it that way. The left shifter is the way it is because the Campy guys will tell you it's better than shimanos index front,which campy couldn't copy due to patent.

boudreaux said:
Well, why don't you try it and report back.The shifting drums aren't the same. you can't even get enough clicks out of the front one to shift a 9 or 10 speed index rear.It's possible it could work depending on the cogset used,but it's serendipity,not because campy designed it that way. The left shifter is the way it is because the Campy guys will tell you it's better than shimanos index front,which campy couldn't copy due to patent.

OK, having looked into it a bit more, I will admit that it seems not all Campy shifters work this way; however, I have definitely read an article (in fact, several now) claiming that with some setups you can indeed just connect the rear mech to the left shifter and it all works fine. And you might want to check your number of clicks because I read that one of the setups where it works is 9-speed. In any case, this was just meant as an interesting side-point to the main question, so I'm not claiming it's gospel, just that I heard it around. OK?

mjw_byrne said:
In any case, this was just meant as an interesting side-point to the main question, so I'm not claiming it's gospel, just that I heard it around. OK?
There is alot of BS around.So, one has to know how to sort wheat from chaff. Regutrgitating it just make one look bad.