campag lube

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by pejko, Feb 9, 2005.

1. pejko

pejko New Member

anyone used it ? IS IT worth the very high cost.?

Tags:

2. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Not likely. But hey, it's Campy.Think of the poseur' points. Billy Bob uses and recommends waterproof marine bearing greeze. Cheap at WallyMart.

3. Tonto

Tonto New Member

Campy gear, apart from the actual bike parts, is ridiculously expensive. Anyone seen the Campy corkscrew you can buy for about €150?...errrr :confused:

4. neil0502

neil0502 New Member

We're talking $40-50, right?

My thought: how /could/ it be?

5. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius New Member

That's pretty expensive for a corkscrew. Just do like I do and buy your wine in a box!! Only the best for me. :D

6. Wurm

Wurm New Member

Maybe that's why so many Shimano riders have (or will end up having) cheap Wally Mart type jobs? And I've seen just as many "poseurs" on D/A & Ultegra. :rolleyes:

The Campy lube is very good stuff, but over-priced IMO. It is mainly synthetic oil.

If you want decent inexpensive chain lube, mix 1 part synthetic motor oil to 4 or 5 parts mineral spirits. Apply liberally to the chain while spinning backwards - this has the consistency of water so don't be worried. Let the lube drip out of the chain onto some newspapers or such, because this will help to clear the grit out of the inside of the rollers.

Wipe the chain dry with a folded rag by spinning the chain backwards again. Repeat once or twice if you have a very dirty chain/cassette, or until the dripping isn't black/dark grey any more. What's left in the rollers of the mineral spirits will evaporate off, leaving the oil as a lube.

You do this after every couple of rides and you'll get great shifting and multiple thousands of miles from your drivetrain. Cost: less than $5. for a quart of the oil, maybe $6.-7./quart for the spirits. Also there is no gummy build-up like wax lubes.

7. dhk

dhk New Member

Guess we all have our rituals for chain maintenance, but yours sounds like too much mess to me for not much savings. I've been using a 4 oz bottle of Finish Line for over 5400 miles now on the same PC-99 chain, and still have about an oz left.

8. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Yeah, dats what Bubba uses. But you probably don't since you dont have a clue about the cost of paint thinner. $4 or less a gallon at WallyMart.

9. Wurm

Wurm New Member

It's not just "paint thinner", dood. Mineral spirits, and other things listed as "paint thinner" on the can can be very different things. (Xylene for thinning water-based paints, lacquer thinner for lacquer or shellac, denatured alcohol, etc.)

I might have been mistaken about what I paid, but I'm pretty sure it was around $5. for the can. If you can buy the stuff for less, big deal - it's not like it's going to throw me into bankruptcy. But why would I buy an entire gallon when I'd never use anything close to that much? Maybe they sell clues at your fave hang-out- WM??

dhk, I'm sure you have some sort of build up if what you're using is wax-based. I've used all of them and not one doesn't leave build-up of some kind, which adds unwanted friction to the drivetrain AND collects its own grime which eventually wears the metal. When's the last time you actually checked your chain wear with a good chain-checker like a Parks CC-2?

I don't see what's so hard about squirting lube on a chain while spinning it for a few seconds, then wiping it off. It only needs to be performed once after every few rides if it's done regularly. If you've got a grubby chain then yes, to get it back to a clean state takes a little more effort. Don't let it strain ya.

By this method, I got over 10k miles out of my last Record chain, but I stopped counting after that.