Campag Neutrons or Eurus

Peterdowney853

Mar 12, 2006
I'm in the very fortunate position of being able to buy my dream bike (A Colnago Extreme C) and have a dilema about which wheelset to put on it. I'm considering either Neutrons or Eurus wheels but would also consider Fulcrum racing ones or Mavic Ksyrium ES wheels or other suggestions. The bike will be used mostly for 1-3 hour rides at a moderate to high pace (High teens to mid 20's) and the occasional 100 miler. The rest of the kit will be campag record.

Has anyone heard of carbon concepts they do some very nice looking carbon bottle cages at 16grams that look a bit like the record ones but are considerably cheaper. The question is are they any good? I've heard the bottles can be a little hard to get in and out! Anybody with any experience of these products?

Lastly standard or carbon handlebars?(Not one piece bar and stem)

thank for any help

Peter:)

i havent ridden neutrons but do own a pair of eurus. awesome wheels!! i use them for race day only. the difference between the eurus and my mavic open pros on record hubs was remarkable, mind you tyres do add to the difference. conti attack and force on the eurus roll so much better than the gp 4000's.

looking at both wheel designs i'd imagine the neutrons would be a more comfy ride, being a shallow rim compared to the eurus, and more stable in windy conditions.

i guess it comes down to what your really looking for ie comfort, weight, speed.

save up a little longer and go hyperon!!!!

when eddy ruled said:
i havent ridden neutrons but do own a pair of eurus. awesome wheels!! i use them for race day only. the difference between the eurus and my mavic open pros on record hubs was remarkable, mind you tyres do add to the difference. conti attack and force on the eurus roll so much better than the gp 4000's.

looking at both wheel designs i'd imagine the neutrons would be a more comfy ride, being a shallow rim compared to the eurus, and more stable in windy conditions.

i guess it comes down to what your really looking for ie comfort, weight, speed.

save up a little longer and go hyperon!!!!
Its a thought but I couldn't bare the thought of hitting a pot hole! I'll probably go with neutrons on account of the frame I'm getting being pretty stiff, but I want to make an informed choice and the eurus is definately prettier but like you say its a wheel for race days

The 2006 Eurus wheelset are amazing. They are significantly different from models prior to 2006. They are very stiff & great for either race day or training days. There isn't much of a difference betweent the Fulcrum & the Eurus (Fulcrum is owned by Campy) except the Fulcrum don't use the G3 lacing on the back wheel.

I've got the Eurus with my Record package. Looks sweet.

Peterdowney853 said:
Its a thought but I couldn't bare the thought of hitting a pot hole! I'll probably go with neutrons on account of the frame I'm getting being pretty stiff, but I want to make an informed choice and the eurus is definately prettier but like you say its a wheel for race days

remdog said:
The 2006 Eurus wheelset are amazing. They are significantly different from models prior to 2006. They are very stiff & great for either race day or training days. There isn't much of a difference betweent the Fulcrum & the Eurus (Fulcrum is owned by Campy) except the Fulcrum don't use the G3 lacing on the back wheel.

I've got the Eurus with my Record package. Looks sweet.
Thanks, If it was just down to looks I think I'd go Eurus, but if I get them I'm worried I'll end up with a bike thats to stiff to ride for more than a few hours!

What are they like in cross winds as they have a deeper section than neutrons?

I really don't think you'll have an issue with a cross wind. The front wheel is 28mm & the rear is 30mm which to me has been working very well in all conditions. I use them for both training & race day. I've also used them for an 800 km tour a while back.

I also ride Zipp 404s that definately feal the effect of a crosswind. I wouldn't consider crosswind effects on the Eurus.

Peterdowney853 said:
Thanks, If it was just down to looks I think I'd go Eurus, but if I get them I'm worried I'll end up with a bike thats to stiff to ride for more than a few hours!

What are they like in cross winds as they have a deeper section than neutrons?

remdog said:
I really don't think you'll have an issue with a cross wind. The front wheel is 28mm & the rear is 30mm which to me has been working very well in all conditions. I use them for both training & race day. I've also used them for an 800 km tour a while back.

I also ride Zipp 404s that definately feal the effect of a crosswind. I wouldn't consider crosswind effects on the Eurus.
What frame do you have?

I have some older Eurus (early 2004, steel spoked ones). I use them for training, racing, etc. They are very durable. I have never trued them and they are essentially straight. I crashed them twice, the second time a relatively high speed tumbling crash. I double flatted once at about 45 mph (drafting a truck, hit a pothole, 120 or so psi didn't make a difference, about 1 cm long cuts in tire). Had to ride the double flat back. Squirmy ride and the wheels have some scratches on them from the ride home but they are fine. I've travelled with them (soft bag on planes) 4 times also.

I'd recommend Eurus for all around use - training, racing, long rides, etc. They are also my wheel of choice in heavy (over 30 mph) winds - no worries about crosswinds there. I've done multiple 120 mile rides on them as well.

I've weighed as much as 185 lbs and as little as 164 in the time I've used the wheels. So no lightweight.

cdr

I have the 2006 Eurus, and cannot recommend them highly enough. They are very stiff in terms of power transfer, yet remarkably supple and comfortable on even 100 mile rides. They handle wonderfully with the minor exception of catching more wind than the previous version. But they are very much stiffer and more responsive than the '05's, and a very comfortable wheel. Much more comfortable than their Ksyrium "equivalents".

They are more comfortable than my old Spinergy Spox or Xareo wheels, both of which had those plastic-y spokes and whose one saving grace was their suppleness. Those wheels are noodly garbage for someone my size, but the point is that even as stiff and responsive as the Eurus wheels are, they are very, very comfortable. I'd have no hesitation about putting them on any frame--some frames are too stiff for me, but these wheels are not going to add to that.

One thing to consider, and I'm not saying this is the case for you, but if a frame is so stiff that one has to consider putting (though it doesn't apply in the case of the Eurus) less responsive wheels on it to make it a tolerable ride, is one really making the right frame choice? At some point frames get too stiff--there has to be a balance in the equation, and I'd argue that wheels are the equal of frames in the stiffness/comfort equation. Never shortchange your wheels or your frame.

I have the Zondas, which are basically the Eurus, minus the machined rims and different nipples and wheelbags (and $300 in pocket change).

Speaking strictly based on my Zondas, I would say go with the Eurus. My Zondas are awesome, and the 2006 models of the Eurus can only be better. My Zondas are 2006 also.

Ive ridden the Ksyrium's a few times on other bikes, and the Eurus a few times as well. The Eurus wins by a mile. The only reason I bought the Zondas was the price was right, and its only about 100g difference between the two weight wise.

Good point, I haven't ridden the extreme C yet, I know its a stiff frame but when you order a top end frame you don.t often get the chance to test ride it - which ultmately is wrong but hey I want one. Everybody that has replied so far has said that the Eurus wheels are fantastic but nobody has mentioned Neutrons which I know are good solid wheels if a little unexciting.

I think Eurus are probably the ones to get, thanks for your help

I have used both tub and clincher Neutrons. Both are superb wheels. Very comfortable - you can ride them all day. Strong and reasonably quick, although probably not quite as quick as Eurus.

certainly better than the Mavic Ks.

If you are not racing get the Neutrons, if you intend to race get the Eurus.

I have been riding Neutrons for a few years and have had no problems. They are fast, strong and reasonably light. I currently ride the carbon version with the only change being the carbon hub. I also ride a stiff carbon frame (Time) and have no issues with the quality of the ride, be it 1 hour or 5.

Good luck. Both your options are good ones imo.