Campag Proton Spoke Removal

Simon Bennett

Guest
Thanks to a rather inattentive motorist (who also fled the scene), my rear
Proton wheel was squished last October. I'm now trying to rescue the parts
that remain. I've got the non-drive side spokes off the hub, but I can't
work out how to remove the drive side spokes. Do I need a special tool for
the purpose?

Simon Bennett wrote:

> Thanks to a rather inattentive motorist (who also fled the scene), my rear
> Proton wheel was squished last October. I'm now trying to rescue the parts
> that remain. I've got the non-drive side spokes off the hub, but I can't
> work out how to remove the drive side spokes. Do I need a special tool for
> the purpose?

Have you tried the Campag website? I think they have service sheets for
quite a few products available on there in .pdf format.

David Belcher

David E. Belcher wrote:

> Have you tried the Campag website? I think they have service sheets
> for quite a few products available on there in .pdf format.

Yes, but the service instructions for the Proton doesn't cover spokes --
only how to attach a cassette/ fit tyres.

Simon Bennett wrote:
> Thanks to a rather inattentive motorist (who also fled the scene), my rear
> Proton wheel was squished last October. I'm now trying to rescue the parts
> that remain. I've got the non-drive side spokes off the hub, but I can't
> work out how to remove the drive side spokes. Do I need a special tool for
> the purpose?

Can you explain the problem here? On the Neutrons I used to have, it didn't
look difficult

--
Arthur Clune

Arthur Clune wrote:

> Can you explain the problem here? On the Neutrons I used to have, it
> didn't look difficult

Hi Arthur.

Still can't work this out.

The (straight-pull) spokes are captive within the hub in slots facing the
cassette side. The slots are closed off by a metal plate to stop the spokes
from dropping out sideways. I can't remove the metal plate. It looks like it
should unscrew, but I can't see how it can as the spoke ends are held by
'barrels' preventing them from pulling out through the hub body. These
barrels prevent the plate from unscrewing

I'll post a photo tomorrow once my wife returns from New York (with my
camera).

Simon Bennett wrote:
> Arthur Clune wrote:
>

>>Can you explain the problem here? On the Neutrons I used to have, it
>>didn't look difficult

> Hi Arthur.
>
> Still can't work this out.
>
> The (straight-pull) spokes are captive within the hub in slots facing the
> cassette side. The slots are closed off by a metal plate to stop the spokes
> from dropping out sideways. I can't remove the metal plate. It looks like it
> should unscrew, but I can't see how it can as the spoke ends are held by
> 'barrels' preventing them from pulling out through the hub body. These
> barrels prevent the plate from unscrewing
>
> I'll post a photo tomorrow once my wife returns from New York (with my
> camera).

give it a clean, judging from the parts manual there should be a circlip

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

M-gineering wrote:

> give it a clean, judging from the parts manual there should be a
> circlip

Thanks Marten!

<spokes all over the floor>

Simon Bennett wrote: