Campag Proton Spoke Removal

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Bennett, Feb 5, 2006.

  1. Thanks to a rather inattentive motorist (who also fled the scene), my rear
    Proton wheel was squished last October. I'm now trying to rescue the parts
    that remain. I've got the non-drive side spokes off the hub, but I can't
    work out how to remove the drive side spokes. Do I need a special tool for
    the purpose?

    Tags:

  2. Simon Bennett wrote:

    > Thanks to a rather inattentive motorist (who also fled the scene), my rear
    > Proton wheel was squished last October. I'm now trying to rescue the parts
    > that remain. I've got the non-drive side spokes off the hub, but I can't
    > work out how to remove the drive side spokes. Do I need a special tool for
    > the purpose?

    Have you tried the Campag website? I think they have service sheets for
    quite a few products available on there in .pdf format.

    David Belcher

  3. David E. Belcher wrote:

    > Have you tried the Campag website? I think they have service sheets
    > for quite a few products available on there in .pdf format.

    Yes, but the service instructions for the Proton doesn't cover spokes --
    only how to attach a cassette/ fit tyres.

  4. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Simon Bennett wrote:
    > Thanks to a rather inattentive motorist (who also fled the scene), my rear
    > Proton wheel was squished last October. I'm now trying to rescue the parts
    > that remain. I've got the non-drive side spokes off the hub, but I can't
    > work out how to remove the drive side spokes. Do I need a special tool for
    > the purpose?

    Can you explain the problem here? On the Neutrons I used to have, it didn't
    look difficult

    --
    Arthur Clune

  5. Arthur Clune wrote:

    > Can you explain the problem here? On the Neutrons I used to have, it
    > didn't look difficult

    Hi Arthur.

    Still can't work this out.

    The (straight-pull) spokes are captive within the hub in slots facing the
    cassette side. The slots are closed off by a metal plate to stop the spokes
    from dropping out sideways. I can't remove the metal plate. It looks like it
    should unscrew, but I can't see how it can as the spoke ends are held by
    'barrels' preventing them from pulling out through the hub body. These
    barrels prevent the plate from unscrewing

    I'll post a photo tomorrow once my wife returns from New York (with my
    camera).

  6. M-gineering

    M-gineering Guest

    Simon Bennett wrote:
    > Arthur Clune wrote:
    >

    >>Can you explain the problem here? On the Neutrons I used to have, it
    >>didn't look difficult

    > Hi Arthur.
    >
    > Still can't work this out.
    >
    > The (straight-pull) spokes are captive within the hub in slots facing the
    > cassette side. The slots are closed off by a metal plate to stop the spokes
    > from dropping out sideways. I can't remove the metal plate. It looks like it
    > should unscrew, but I can't see how it can as the spoke ends are held by
    > 'barrels' preventing them from pulling out through the hub body. These
    > barrels prevent the plate from unscrewing
    >
    > I'll post a photo tomorrow once my wife returns from New York (with my
    > camera).

    give it a clean, judging from the parts manual there should be a circlip

    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  7. M-gineering wrote:

    > give it a clean, judging from the parts manual there should be a
    > circlip

    Thanks Marten!

    <spokes all over the floor>

  8. Arthur Clune