Campag Question

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mseries, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Will Shimano HG cassettes fit on Campag hubs ? If not what campag. cassettes would be compatible
    with Shimano 9 Speed indexing ?

    Tags:

  2. Ian

    Ian Guest

    MSeries scribed with passion and wit:

    > Will Shimano HG cassettes fit on Campag hubs ? If not what campag. cassettes would be compatible
    > with Shimano 9 Speed indexing ?

    Shimano hubs are not Campag compatible, but most Capag 9 speed cassettes are compatible with
    Shimano indexing.

    --
    Ian

    http://www.catrike.co.uk

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    MSeries wrote:

    > Will Shimano HG cassettes fit on Campag hubs ?

    No, sprockets don't fit. Different spline pattern.

    > If not what campag. cassettes would be compatible with Shimano 9 Speed indexing ?

    Some people say Campag is close enough as it is. I think some people have sloppy standards.

    Easy: I would get a Veloce (or Mirage) cassette - which has individual loose sprockets - and simply
    respace with Shimano 9-speed (thinner) spacers nicked from a second-hand Shimano cassette. The
    spacing will then be almost perfect as Shimano sprockets are virtually the same thickness as Campag
    9's. Cassette would have to be bulked out with an additional 1.5 to 2mm spacer behind the largest
    sprocket (can use Marchisio 0.5mm spacers: from Parker Int). Doesn't matter about built-in spacer
    between smallest and second smallest sprocket.

    spacing info: www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing

    Some lightweight Marchisio Aviotek sprockets (for the larger ones) can be used if all-Veloce is a
    bit heavy for your liking. info: http://anysystem.de

    The other way around is much more difficult because of lack of room on $himaNO freehub.

    ~PB

  4. "Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > spacing info: www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing
    >
    > Some lightweight Marchisio Aviotek sprockets (for the larger ones) can be used if all-Veloce is a
    > bit heavy for your liking. info: http://anysystem.de

    Pete, I've had a quick look at this; however I wonder if you could tell me how simple it is to mod
    anexisting veloce cassette to give me a 30T largest sprocket. What tools would i need and how fiddly
    it is? Thanks Julia

  5. "Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > spacing info: www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing
    >
    > Some lightweight Marchisio Aviotek sprockets (for the larger ones) can be used if all-Veloce is a
    > bit heavy for your liking. info: http://anysystem.de

    Pete, I've had a quick look at this; however I wonder if you could tell me how simple it is to mod
    anexisting veloce cassette to give me a 30T largest sprocket. What tools would i need and how fiddly
    it is? Thanks Julia

  6. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    I wrote:
    > Easy: I would get a Veloce (or Mirage) cassette - which has individual loose sprockets - and
    > simply respace with Shimano 9-speed (thinner) spacers nicked from a second-hand Shimano cassette.
    > The spacing will then be almost perfect as Shimano sprockets are virtually the same thickness as
    > Campag 9's. Cassette would have to be bulked out with an additional 1.5 to 2mm spacer behind the
    > largest sprocket (can use Marchisio 0.5mm spacers: from Parker Int).

    Exact cassette width difference is 1.41mm. 1.5 or 1.9mm worth of spacers should do behind the
    cassette. Marchisio do 1.9 (plastic?) as well as .5mm (metal) spacers.

    ~PB

  7. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    I wrote:
    > Easy: I would get a Veloce (or Mirage) cassette - which has individual loose sprockets - and
    > simply respace with Shimano 9-speed (thinner) spacers nicked from a second-hand Shimano cassette.
    > The spacing will then be almost perfect as Shimano sprockets are virtually the same thickness as
    > Campag 9's. Cassette would have to be bulked out with an additional 1.5 to 2mm spacer behind the
    > largest sprocket (can use Marchisio 0.5mm spacers: from Parker Int).

    Exact cassette width difference is 1.41mm. 1.5 or 1.9mm worth of spacers should do behind the
    cassette. Marchisio do 1.9 (plastic?) as well as .5mm (metal) spacers.

    ~PB

  8. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    the Baker-Bealls wrote:

    >> Some lightweight Marchisio Aviotek sprockets (for the larger ones) can be used if all-Veloce is a
    >> bit heavy for your liking. info: http://anysystem.de
    >>
    > Pete, I've had a quick look at this; however I wonder if you could tell me how simple it is to mod
    > anexisting veloce cassette to give me a 30T largest sprocket. What tools would i need and how
    > fiddly it is?

    Hi Julia,

    It's all quite simple. Only tools required are the normal cassette remover (with spanner) and chain
    whip to get the lockring on and off. Sprockets and spacers are then simply lifted off the hub and
    replaced one at a time in the normal way.

    Aviotek sprockets are more fiddly than Plurals as the larger ones require "anti flex spacers" -
    several little tiny button things that fit on the sprocket arms (and tend to fall off during
    assembly, although can be glued on). Also, these spacers won't work if diameter of next smallest
    sprocket is too small to reach them. So if in doubt, I recommend the Plural model (30T = 90 grams:
    not toooo heavy).

    I'll reply again later to let you know what spacer is required between Marchisio and
    Campag sprocket.

    Peculiar downside: Depending on angle of chain, chain can sometimes derail to the next smallest
    sprocket when back-pedalling. This is caused by shape of teeth (large and square, not as good as
    Campag's), nothing to do with derailleur or anything else. An annoyance but not a big problem: just
    change up a gear then shift back down again and try not to stop in bottom gear (usually only happens
    in bottom gear). Can be cured with some radical filing! I've had no other problems with them and
    gear shifting is fine (although I've not used an *entire* Marchisio cassette).

    I use Aviotek 24 and 27T to customise a Veloce 13-26 on my road bike, and a Plural 30T and Veloce 23
    & 26T to customise a 14-28 Veloce on the tourer. 23-26-30 at the end feels great.

    ~PB

  9. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    the Baker-Bealls wrote:

    >> Some lightweight Marchisio Aviotek sprockets (for the larger ones) can be used if all-Veloce is a
    >> bit heavy for your liking. info: http://anysystem.de
    >>
    > Pete, I've had a quick look at this; however I wonder if you could tell me how simple it is to mod
    > anexisting veloce cassette to give me a 30T largest sprocket. What tools would i need and how
    > fiddly it is?

    Hi Julia,

    It's all quite simple. Only tools required are the normal cassette remover (with spanner) and chain
    whip to get the lockring on and off. Sprockets and spacers are then simply lifted off the hub and
    replaced one at a time in the normal way.

    Aviotek sprockets are more fiddly than Plurals as the larger ones require "anti flex spacers" -
    several little tiny button things that fit on the sprocket arms (and tend to fall off during
    assembly, although can be glued on). Also, these spacers won't work if diameter of next smallest
    sprocket is too small to reach them. So if in doubt, I recommend the Plural model (30T = 90 grams:
    not toooo heavy).

    I'll reply again later to let you know what spacer is required between Marchisio and
    Campag sprocket.

    Peculiar downside: Depending on angle of chain, chain can sometimes derail to the next smallest
    sprocket when back-pedalling. This is caused by shape of teeth (large and square, not as good as
    Campag's), nothing to do with derailleur or anything else. An annoyance but not a big problem: just
    change up a gear then shift back down again and try not to stop in bottom gear (usually only happens
    in bottom gear). Can be cured with some radical filing! I've had no other problems with them and
    gear shifting is fine (although I've not used an *entire* Marchisio cassette).

    I use Aviotek 24 and 27T to customise a Veloce 13-26 on my road bike, and a Plural 30T and Veloce 23
    & 26T to customise a 14-28 Veloce on the tourer. 23-26-30 at the end feels great.

    ~PB

  10. > Hi Julia,

    > It's all quite simple. Only tools required are the normal cassette remover (with spanner) and
    > chain whip to get the lockring on and off. Sprockets and spacers are then simply lifted off the
    > hub and replaced one at a time in the normal way.
    >
    > Aviotek sprockets are more fiddly than Plurals as the larger ones require "anti flex spacers" -
    > several little tiny button things that fit on the sprocket arms (and tend to fall off during
    > assembly, although can be glued on). Also, these spacers won't work if diameter of next smallest
    > sprocket is too small to reach them. So if in doubt, I recommend the Plural model (30T = 90 grams:
    > not toooo heavy).
    >
    > I'll reply again later to let you know what spacer is required between Marchisio and Campag
    > sprocket.
    >
    > Peculiar downside: Depending on angle of chain, chain can sometimes derail to the next smallest
    > sprocket when back-pedalling. This is caused by shape of teeth (large and square, not as good as
    > Campag's), nothing to do with derailleur or anything else. An annoyance but not a big problem:
    > just change up a gear then shift back down again and try not to stop in bottom gear (usually only
    > happens in bottom gear). Can be cured with some radical filing! I've had no other problems with
    > them and gear shifting is fine (although I've not used an *entire* Marchisio cassette).
    >
    > I use Aviotek 24 and 27T to customise a Veloce 13-26 on my road bike, and a Plural 30T and Veloce
    > 23 & 26T to customise a 14-28 Veloce on the tourer. 23-26-30 at the end feels great.
    >
    > ~PB

    Thanks Pete, filed for later printout and cover with black fingerprints! I did go 40-30-26 at the
    front but decided the drop is too extremme so plan B is to change 26 to 28 and mod the cassette.

    Julia

  11. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    I wrote:
    > I'll reply again later to let you know what spacer is required between Marchisio and Campag
    > sprocket.

    Marchisio sprockets are thinner so the following spacers are required for Campag 9sp:

    3.mm between Marchisio sprockets if using more than one Marchisio(Marchisio black or Shimano brand
    8sp spacer).

    4.9mm between Marchisio and Campag sprockets (Marchisio light grey intended for Shimano 9sp)

    .5mm Marchisio "shim" behind largest sprocket, required as standard. Another one in addition helps a
    little with the derailing problem I mentioned; cassette & frame can usually take it.

    cheers ~PB

  12. > Hi Julia,

    > It's all quite simple. Only tools required are the normal cassette remover (with spanner) and
    > chain whip to get the lockring on and off. Sprockets and spacers are then simply lifted off the
    > hub and replaced one at a time in the normal way.
    >
    > Aviotek sprockets are more fiddly than Plurals as the larger ones require "anti flex spacers" -
    > several little tiny button things that fit on the sprocket arms (and tend to fall off during
    > assembly, although can be glued on). Also, these spacers won't work if diameter of next smallest
    > sprocket is too small to reach them. So if in doubt, I recommend the Plural model (30T = 90 grams:
    > not toooo heavy).
    >
    > I'll reply again later to let you know what spacer is required between Marchisio and Campag
    > sprocket.
    >
    > Peculiar downside: Depending on angle of chain, chain can sometimes derail to the next smallest
    > sprocket when back-pedalling. This is caused by shape of teeth (large and square, not as good as
    > Campag's), nothing to do with derailleur or anything else. An annoyance but not a big problem:
    > just change up a gear then shift back down again and try not to stop in bottom gear (usually only
    > happens in bottom gear). Can be cured with some radical filing! I've had no other problems with
    > them and gear shifting is fine (although I've not used an *entire* Marchisio cassette).
    >
    > I use Aviotek 24 and 27T to customise a Veloce 13-26 on my road bike, and a Plural 30T and Veloce
    > 23 & 26T to customise a 14-28 Veloce on the tourer. 23-26-30 at the end feels great.
    >
    > ~PB

    Thanks Pete, filed for later printout and cover with black fingerprints! I did go 40-30-26 at the
    front but decided the drop is too extremme so plan B is to change 26 to 28 and mod the cassette.

    Julia

  13. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    I wrote:
    > I'll reply again later to let you know what spacer is required between Marchisio and Campag
    > sprocket.

    Marchisio sprockets are thinner so the following spacers are required for Campag 9sp:

    3.mm between Marchisio sprockets if using more than one Marchisio(Marchisio black or Shimano brand
    8sp spacer).

    4.9mm between Marchisio and Campag sprockets (Marchisio light grey intended for Shimano 9sp)

    .5mm Marchisio "shim" behind largest sprocket, required as standard. Another one in addition helps a
    little with the derailing problem I mentioned; cassette & frame can usually take it.

    cheers ~PB

  14. "Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I wrote:
    > > I'll reply again later to let you know what spacer is required between Marchisio and Campag
    > > sprocket.
    >
    > Marchisio sprockets are thinner so the following spacers are required for Campag 9sp:
    >
    > 3.mm between Marchisio sprockets if using more than one Marchisio(Marchisio black or Shimano brand
    > 8sp spacer).
    >
    > 2.9mm between Marchisio and Campag sprockets (Marchisio light grey intended for Shimano 9sp)
    >
    > .5mm Marchisio "shim" behind largest sprocket, required as standard. Another one in addition helps
    > a little with the derailing problem I mentioned; cassette & frame can usually take it.
    >
    > cheers ~PB

    Thanks Pete. Safely saved away! Regards Julia

    news:[email protected]...