Campag Question

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simonb, Feb 29, 2004.

  1. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Is Mirage at the bottom end of the Campag range? How does it compare with 105 (the minimum Shimano I
    would consider)?

    Thanks

    Simon

    Tags:

  2. >Is Mirage at the bottom end of the Campag range? How does it compare with 105 (the minimum Shimano
    >I would consider)?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Simon

    If you go to the Campag site www.campagnolo.com, and click on the English language version, you can
    access the fuill product range.

    From bottom to top, sort of, it's Xenon Mirage Veloce Centaur Chorus Record.

    I've got a Mirage/Veloce mix on my bikes and I have no problems with them.

    Of course, some say ShimaNO! ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Simonb wrote:
    > How does [Mirage] compare with 105 (the minimum Shimano I would consider)?

    I haven't got enough experience with 105 to say which is "best" but I can point out some
    differences, and notes on Mirage........

    Mirage cranks fit (Campag) square taper bottom brackets. 105 is a splined design. Mirage inner
    chainring is steel. Mirage hubs use cartridge bearings, 105 cup & cone.

    Mirage Ergos (brake/gear levers) can be fully serviced and rebuilt (and converted to 10-speed).
    Nothing like so easy with Shimano STI, apparently.

    Mirage brake calipers are excellent, IMO, although the blocks don't have orbital adjustment (Kool
    Stop shoes are a good upgrade for them).

    If comparing complete bikes with these groupsets then I guess the 105'ed one would be better value
    if all else is equal.

    If buying parts and considering Campag, I suggest getting a mixture from various groups to get the
    best for your money (I would be happy to post suggestions).

    ~PB

  4. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:

    > If buying parts and considering Campag, I suggest getting a mixture from various groups to get the
    > best for your money (I would be happy to post suggestions).

    Nice one Pete. Since you've got the lowdown. What would be the ideal Campag selection for around
    £400 (9 speed, double)?

    Simon

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Simonb wrote:

    >> If buying parts and considering Campag, I suggest getting a mixture from various groups to get
    >> the best for your money (I would be happy to post suggestions).
    >
    > Nice one Pete. Since you've got the lowdown. What would be the ideal Campag selection for around
    > £400 (9 speed, double)?

    That's a healthy budget if hubs aren't to be included. Less need to mix in this case as mostly-
    Centaur delivers the goods nicely, IMO, if you can afford it. I've also included a suggestion for a
    mixture including hubs.

    EXCLUDING HUBS, seatpost, headset and pedals: (Parker International have 9sp Chorus/Centaur
    Ergos & mechs)

    Ergos: Chorus 2003 £144 Rear mech: Centaur £55 Front mech: Centaur £18 - £22 Chainset: Centaur £55
    BB: Centaur £10 Cassette: Veloce £17 Chain: Record £12.50 Brakes: Veloce £44.50 postage: £2.50
    ===Total: ~£358.50===

    Some notes on reasoning, etc: Chorus Ergos are signficantly lighter than the lower models and have
    ball bearings for a slightly slicker action. Veloce sprockets are equal to Chorus in quality apart
    from the weight saving alloy carriers. Also keeps the running costs down. But get Centaur/Chorus
    instead to save weight if racing. Centaur brake caliper arms are no better than Veloce's and Veloce
    pads also have orbital adjustment. On the other hand, Centaur has nicer cable adjusters. Another
    alternative is Mirage brakes with Kool Stop shoes. Centaur chainset has better rings than Veloce. An
    alterntive is Mirage cranks (just as good) with TA rings if you want alternative ratios. Original
    Campag rings can be sold to help fund the upgrade. Chains: They're all Record. Alternative: SRAM
    PC59 (I'm not quite sure if lasts as long, though).

    INCLUDING HUBS (also a suggestion for a lower budget if excluding the hubs), excluding seatpost,
    headset and pedals :

    Hubs: Centaur £97 (or Chorus £107.50) Ergos: Centaur £86.50 Rear mech: Centaur £55 Front mech:
    Centaur £18 - £22 Chainset: Veloce £38.50 (or Mirage + TA rings) BB: Centaur £10 Cassette: Veloce
    £17 Chain: Record £12.50 (or SRAM PC59) Brakes: Veloce £44.50 (or Mirage with Kool Stops)
    postage: £2.50
    ===Total: ~£381.50===

    Notes: Chorus hubs same as Centaur except for QR and cones are adjusted using just a single allen
    key instead of screwdriver+spanner. Very different and much better than Veloce. Veloce £73 or Mirage
    £46 Ergos would save money if you didn't mind the different material/shape of the lever blades. The
    gear shifting innards are the same. Veloce or even Xenon mechs will work just as well if you don't
    mind the extra weight.

    re CENTAUR: Beware/look out for the new "Century" grey coloured version*. Silver is still available
    if preferred.
    * eg. www.campagnolo.com/pics/CE-Freno_Century.jpg

    LOW BUDGET suggestion for anyone else interested:

    Hubs: Xenon £33 or Veloce £45 Ergos: Mirage £46 Rear mech: Xenon £19 Front mech: Xenon/Mirage £9 -
    £13 (depending type/availability) Chainset: Veloce £38.50 (or Mirage/Xenon + TA rings) BB: Centaur
    £10 Cassette: Veloce £17 Chain: SRAM PC59 £9 Brakes: Veloce £44.50 postage: £2.50
    ===Total: ~£232===

    notes: Mirage hubs are no longer cheaper than Veloce (from Parker). Check what type of front hub is
    supplied: new ones have cartridge bearings, which you may or may not want. I think a Mirage rear hub
    is supplied with the Xenon set. Veloce chainset to avoid Mirage/Xenon's steel ring(s). Centaur BB
    because it's much lighter yet only £4 more than the very cheapest. Veloce cassette because only £2
    extra for chromed sprockets (don't get stained and easier to clean). Veloce brakes for orbital pad
    adjustment, otherwise get Xenon/Mirage.

    PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK ALL PRICES* AND SUMS via: www.parker-international.co.uk/campag-framset.htm
    (probably the best prices unless you find special offers elsewhere)

    ~PB

  6. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    I wrote:
    > LOW BUDGET suggestion for anyone else interested: Ergos: Mirage £46

    Reason for Mirage over Xenon: Real Campag, ie. basicically the same design as all the higher models,
    can change up more than one gear at once, ErgoBrain compatible, can be upgraded to 10-speed.

    ~PB

  7. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote: <snip>

    Thanks Pete! Will digest later (dinner time, 2 hungry kids). You should publish this info somewhere,
    very useful. Good link, too.

    Simon

  8. Richard M

    Richard M Guest

    On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 01:02:04 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
    <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

    >That's a healthy budget if hubs aren't to be included. Less need to mix in this case as mostly-
    >Centaur delivers the goods nicely, IMO, if you can afford it. I've also included a suggestion for a
    >mixture including hubs.
    >
    >~PB

    Thank you for that Pete, I have saved that, hopefully Google will as well in case I lose my copy.

    Cheers Richard

    Please remove THIS if replying