Campag Rec10 Clicking

Glaucman

Guest
On my first ride on my new bike(titanium) there is a recurring creaking/clicking event in the
drivetrain. To reproduce this sound you simply pedal hard then release all chain tension by
coasting. Upon the reapplication of fairly significant force to the pedals there will be heard and
felt a clicking in the drivetrain. This is a new Rec 10s group and I'm new to Campag after recently
converting from Shimano. A search here revealed what may be a solution where a_small_amount of
grease applied to the freehub body followed by a very tight reattachment of the cassette. Any
answers to this annoying problem are welcome.

Henry

drmrq-<< On my first ride on my new bike(titanium) there is a recurring creaking/clicking event in
the drivetrain. >><BR><BR>

The casette lube is something to check, also use a snaplink instead of the Campagnolo perma-link or
push thru pin. Also a remove and lube of the rings/bolts.

Could be pedals as well.

[email protected] (GlaucMan) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On my first ride on my new bike(titanium) there is a recurring creaking/clicking event in the
> drivetrain. To reproduce this sound you simply pedal hard then release all chain tension by
> coasting. Upon the reapplication of fairly significant force to the pedals there will be heard and
> felt a clicking in the drivetrain. This is a new Rec 10s group and I'm new to Campag after
> recently converting from Shimano. A search here revealed what may be a solution where
> a_small_amount of grease applied to the freehub body followed by a very tight reattachment of the
> cassette. Any answers to this annoying problem are welcome.
>
> Henry

I had the same problem, and it turned out to be the hub. In my case it was making a loud resonant
pop when I re-engaged after coasting or just starting out after stopping. Recently I purchased a new
set of wheels with the same generation hubs and the problem is now gone. I haven't yet taken the
noisy hub apart to diagnose/repair, but I suspect I'll find something amiss in the pawl mechanism.

Since your bike is new, I'd ride it right back to the shop where you purchased it and have them take
a look at the hub. FWIW, I've spoken to a couple other riders who have experienced the same problem;
it seems there's something amiss with some of the latest generation rear hubs.

-Patrick

> Upon the reapplication of fairly significant force to the pedals there will be heard and felt a
> clicking in the drivetrain.

Also check to make sure the bb is installed nice and tight, and that there is grease ( or better
yet, anti-sieze ) on the threads in the bb shell, and grease between the cups and the bearing
cartridges. Like Peter, I am from the no lube on the spindle flats school of thought. --Jim

"GlaucMan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On my first ride on my new bike(titanium) there is a recurring creaking/clicking event in the
> drivetrain. To reproduce this sound you simply pedal hard then release all chain tension by
> coasting. Upon the reapplication of fairly significant force to the pedals there will be heard and
> felt a clicking in the drivetrain. This is a new Rec 10s group and I'm new to Campag after
> recently converting from Shimano. A search here revealed what may be a solution where
> a_small_amount of grease applied to the freehub body followed by a very tight reattachment of the
> cassette. Any answers to this annoying problem are welcome.

Regarding your phrase, "very tight reattachment of the cassette", it's not necessary to lean on the
wrench for a cassette lockring. It's stamped "50nm" and that's enough. If you can wiggle the cogs
before you pick up a tool, then the lockring is loose.

If the cassette lockring is tight already, or if that turns out not to be the problem, thoroughly
check the crank area ( lubricate and torque to spec pedal spindles, chainring bolts, crank
bolts/crank tapers*, BB cups in frame).

Unless you built the bicycle yourself and you know all the above are correct, you risk damaging
crank tapers if it was shoddily built. The other items will be merely annoying, but Record arms are
expensive to replace.

* according to your religion. Resaonable men differ on this point.

Patrick stated:
> I had the same problem, and it turned out to be the hub. In my case it was making a loud resonant
> pop when I re-engaged after coasting or just starting out after stopping. Recently I purchased a
> new set of wheels with the same generation hubs and the problem is now gone. I haven't yet taken
> the noisy hub apart to diagnose/repair, but I suspect I'll find something amiss in the pawl
> mechanism.

This is a new set of Campag Nuetrons. Your pawl mechanism theory sounds logical based on the fact
that this event only occurs once after the reapplication of pedal force. I found the rear cassette
to be tight and the chainring bolts thight as well. I'm still having the problem.

Henry

PM ask
> What chain and connecting link are you using? I experienced clicking and felt it when I used a
> Forster Super Link connector after only 300 miles or so. A secomd one did the same thing. I
> switched to a Wipperman Connex link and all is good.

I'm using the stock Campag Record 10 chain with the OEM pin connector.

Peter suggested

>have a giood wrench overhaul the rear hub and check things

I wasn't sure whether to take the overhaul route or request a warranty replacement since this is a
new wheelset. This of course assumes the problem is in the hub assembly. Peter in your experience
what has been the incidence of rear hub/pawl defects in new Campag hubs or any hubs for that matter?

Also of diagnostic interest may be the fact that two of my friends also received new bikes with the
same groupsets/wheelsets and I notice that upon freely spinning the rear wheel both of theirs are
significantly louder with regards to the conventional clicking one hears when coasting. Mine is very
quiet in that regard.

Still searching.

Henry

[email protected] (PMaszak) wrote in news:[email protected]:

/>
> What chain and connecting link are you using? I experienced clicking and felt it when I used a
> Forster Super Link connector after only 300 miles or so. A secomd one did the same thing. I
> switched to a Wipperman Connex link and all is good.
>
> pm

I had the same problem with the Forster version only mine didn't start to click till 1500k. Never
found one that worked.