Campag Record hub 'end cap' removal.

swampy1970

Feb 3, 2008
4442d1231414403-c-record-group-5.jpg

I know Campag made an uber expenisve and rather rare tool for removing the plastic aero caps that cover the cones and lock nut but does anyone know of a similar tool available from an auto parts store (there has to be one) to remove the caps without resorting to a pair of large flat bladed screwdrivers...

I pulled the old Shamals down from a decade in the garage rafters and gave them a once over with the polish but the hubs are in dire need of regreasing.

swampy1970 said:
4442d1231414403-c-record-group-5.jpg

I know Campag made an uber expenisve and rather rare tool for removing the plastic aero caps that cover the cones and lock nut but does anyone know of a similar tool available from an auto parts store (there has to be one) to remove the caps without resorting to a pair of large flat bladed screwdrivers...

I pulled the old Shamals down from a decade in the garage rafters and gave them a once over with the polish but the hubs are in dire need of regreasing.

They are actually aluminum caps and I have never seen a tool that works as well as the hub cap remover. Look on ebay, I've seen then from time to time.

swampy1970 said:

Why don't you simply use the oil injection hole in the middle of the hub?

I don't know about those Campagnolo end caps, but on OTHER end caps which have a similar appearance, you can simply pull them off (if you have a really good grip) or pry them away using a pocket knife blade ...

BTW. The groove created by the shoulder on the end cap looks to be about the width of a cone wrench's thickness ... so [presuming a simple press fit], that's what I would try to use since the Cone Wrenches I have are coined & chromed (vs. Park/Pedro/other Cone Wrenches).

Peter@vecchios said:
They are actually aluminum caps and I have never seen a tool that works as well as the hub cap remover. Look on ebay, I've seen then from time to time.

You can tell it's been about 15 years since I last looked at them. ;)

swampy1970 said:
You can tell it's been about 15 years since I last looked at them. ;)

I have one of the tools, and have a bunch of C-Record hubs, what I use on 2 bikes. The clip inside of the cap holds in pretty securely and prying them off, even with a knife blade or come wrench can mar them up a wee bit. The tool will last forever, BTW, best tool for the job.

Yeah... I've been looking for one for a few weeks with no luck.

I have an event that I need to get the wheel ready for in a couple of weeks, so either I find one or I fabricate a little something something (box section steel tubing of correct wall thickness, drill a hole in it of correct diameter, slice in half and then clamp it and the wheel in a vice and lift) rather than use a knife...

Plus I dig Campag tools, so it'd be no hardship paying for the widget.

Peter@vecchios said:
I have one of the tools, and have a bunch of C-Record hubs, what I use on 2 bikes. The clip inside of the cap holds in pretty securely and prying them off, even with a knife blade or come wrench can mar them up a wee bit. The tool will last forever, BTW, best tool for the job.

You wouldn't happen to have a part number for the tool handy would you...

... or even have one for sale ;)

It should be possible to make a "tool" from two strips OAK ... most woods are softer than aluminum and will not mar.
The edge of each strip that makes contact with the groove should be narrowed to the appropriate thickness & concave to match the circumference ...

Clamp by placing one strip opposite the other with the edge of each strip nesting in the groove ... and, pull ...

Done.

Part # 1170004
'Extractor for Record front hub dust cover'
Page 21
1994 Campagnolo Tools Catalogue