Campag Record Noise

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Glaucman, Jan 30, 2004.

  1. Glaucman

    Glaucman Guest

    I have a 2002 Record 10 with 53/39 and a 12-25 cassette. The current chain is a Wipperman stainless
    with about 1000 miles. The cassettes have less than 1000 miles on them. The chain measures within
    tolerance. If and only if when I stand on the pedals I get a noise from the three lowest (21-23-25)
    gears. It matters not which chainring I'm in. I swap out the wheelsets and the noise remains. This
    noise appeared suddenly about three weeks ago.

    I have already greased the freehub and tightened the locknut securely and after the wheel swap today
    I am unsure where to go from here. The frame is a Serotta Legend Ti (titanium).

    Thanks in advance.

    Henry

    Tags:

  2. Kenny Lee

    Kenny Lee Guest

    GlaucMan wrote:
    > I have a 2002 Record 10 with 53/39 and a 12-25 cassette. The current chain is a Wipperman
    > stainless with about 1000 miles. The cassettes have less than 1000 miles on them. The chain
    > measures within tolerance. If and only if when I stand on the pedals I get a noise from the three
    > lowest (21-23-25) gears. It matters not which chainring I'm in. I swap out the wheelsets and the
    > noise remains. This noise appeared suddenly about three weeks ago.
    >
    > I have already greased the freehub and tightened the locknut securely and after the wheel swap
    > today I am unsure where to go from here. The frame is a Serotta Legend Ti (titanium).
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Henry
    Just a guess. Maybe the noise is coming from your pedals or chainring bolts. Or maybe your frame is
    flexing when under stress causing the chain to rub on the FD.

    Kenny Lee

  3. drmcq-<< I have a 2002 Record 10 with 53/39 and a 12-25 cassette. The current chain is a Wipperman
    stainless with about 1000 miles. The cassettes have less than 1000 miles on them. The chain measures
    within tolerance. If and only if when I stand on the pedals I get a noise from the three lowest (21-23-
    25) gears. >><BR><BR>

    I would have somebody that 'qui si parla Campagnolo' take the right lever apart to see if EC-RE-111
    has a broken post. When this thing breaks(common, easy to fix) it makes if diffucult to impossible
    for the rear der to be adjusted well.

  4. Glaucman

    Glaucman Guest

    Kenny Lee wrote:
    > Just a guess. Maybe the noise is coming from your pedals or chainring bolts. Or maybe your frame
    > is flexing when under stress causing the chain to rub on the FD.

    Nope it's not the FD I checked and also it makes noise in the large chainring as well as the small.

    I will investigate the pedals/chainring bolts.

    Thanks

    Henry

  5. Glaucman

    Glaucman Guest

    I put on a new Campag Chorus cassette and the noise is gone. I guess that the ti gears(19-21) (23-
    25) in the 12-25 cassette wear at a different rate than the steel gears. Anyway I ordered a new
    Record cassette and Campag chain and will remember this experence for future reference.

    Thanks for all the input.

  6. Neacalban1

    Neacalban1 Guest

    >Anyway I ordered a new Record cassette and Campag chain and will remember this experence for future
    >reference.

    I had a record Ti/Steel which didnt last all that long either. if so, why order another one??