Campag/Shimano mix

maanderx said:
There's some useful information here about mixing Campag and
Shimano components. I thought you might be interested.

I think the best combo, if you want ERGO and needs to shift shimano/sram 10s spacing is to use a SRam rear derailleur..ala Lennard's gig.

I guess I don't really understand why anyone would want to mess up a perfectly great group by mixing it with components from another manufacturer?

I'm a Campy guy and would never mix it with Shimano only to get mediocre performance or vice versa. The groups are created/engineered to work together, not with other companies components. The way I see it is that people like certain shifters/brake levers...(understandable since that is a contact/interface point) so why don't they just go with the rest of the components that match the shifters they like?

I'm just trying to understand others reasoning to mix components...

Gangltirider said:
I guess I don't really understand why anyone would want to mess up a perfectly great group by mixing it with components from another manufacturer?

I'm a Campy guy and would never mix it with Shimano only to get mediocre performance or vice versa. The groups are created/engineered to work together, not with other companies components. The way I see it is that people like certain shifters/brake levers...(understandable since that is a contact/interface point) so why don't they just go with the rest of the components that match the shifters they like?

I'm just trying to understand others reasoning to mix components...

I agree BUT considering that shimano/sram and Campagnolo 10s cogset spacing is different, to use that shimano/sram cogset, ya gotta do something with ERGO shifting spacing and as told by Lennard, a sram RD does that. Works, cheaper than a Wheels manufacturing conversion cogset. BUT the best thing is just get a Campagnolo compatible rear wheel.

Gangltirider said:
I'm a Campy guy and would never mix it with Shimano only to get mediocre performance or vice versa.
Gangltirider, you haven't tried it but must know of others who have had far from satisfactory shifting.

Trust me on this one, certain combinations of Campag and Shimano work perfectly. My 3 bikes are a
testament to this.