campag spacing on shimano freewheel

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by byron27, Apr 3, 2005.

  1. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    I have have had the good fortune to come across a proton rear wheel. Unfortunately, as i run campag and the wheel has a shimano freewheel i have some compatibility problems. 'No worries" i thought, "i will just swap the freewheel over from my rear vento to the proton". of course, in campags infinite wisdom, proton and vento freewheels are not the same so are not compatible, aaaarrghh!!

    So the latest plan is to go for the shimano cassette with campag spacing. I have been thinking alot about plunging for the miche cassette that can be pulled apart, etc, so i can replace individual cogs as i only ever wear out the 13-17.
    Any other manufacturers i should consider and also some recommendation of shops that sell miche cassettes from?. I have been quoted $140 for the cassette which seems a bit steep.

    Tags:

  2. hippy

    hippy Guest

    byron27 wrote:
    > I have have had the good fortune to come across a proton rear wheel.
    > Unfortunately, as i run campag and the wheel has a shimano freewheel i
    > have some compatibility problems. 'No worries" i thought, "i will just
    > swap the freewheel over from my rear vento to the proton". of course,
    > in campags infinite wisdom, proton and vento freewheels are not the
    > same so are not compatible, aaaarrghh!!

    <bait>
    blah blah campag are so much more compatible with everything else
    they've made, Shitmano changes the design every two minutes, blah, blah
    </bait> ;)

    hippy
    "9hrs 45min remaining"

  3. till!

    till! New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2004
    There is another thread about this somewhere ... I think it boiled down to $150 was what most places quoted for a 10sp miche, but the only other alternatives are token(?) or AC?

    till