Campag Super Record brakes cleaning/renovation

Rik O'Shea

Guest
Hello,
I'm helping my brother renovate a bicycle equiped with Super Record
brake calipers (I think they are the Cobalto edition circa '86). The
brakes are in good condition with some minor weathering but he would
like to have them really cleaned up since this is for display
purposes. Would it be recommended to disassemble the brake calipers and
clean the parts individually or could this lead to problems ? Also if
someone could point me to an online brochure showing the individual
brake parts for these brake calipers I'd appreciate it.

Thanks & regards

Rik O'Shea wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm helping my brother renovate a bicycle equiped with Super Record
> brake calipers (I think they are the Cobalto edition circa '86). The
> brakes are in good condition with some minor weathering but he would
> like to have them really cleaned up since this is for display
> purposes. Would it be recommended to disassemble the brake calipers and
> clean the parts individually or could this lead to problems ? Also if
> someone could point me to an online brochure showing the individual
> brake parts for these brake calipers I'd appreciate it.

No problem disassembling and cleaning them.
See if yours resemble the ones shown on p.14 of
http://www.campyonly.com/history/1974/super_record.pdf

Tom Ace

If it's Campy, it's meant to be disassembled. There are NOT very many
parts...

Rik O'Shea wrote:
> I'm helping my brother renovate a bicycle equiped with Super Record
> brake calipers (I think they are the Cobalto edition circa '86). The
> brakes are in good condition with some minor weathering but he would
> like to have them really cleaned up since this is for display
> purposes. Would it be recommended to disassemble the brake calipers and
> clean the parts individually or could this lead to problems ? Also if
> someone could point me to an online brochure showing the individual
> brake parts for these brake calipers I'd appreciate it.

Yes they are a simple design. Leave the brake bolt on the
frame. Remove the locknut, adjusting nut and then the arms
and washers. Clean all, wipe oil across the mating surfaces
including the ends of the spring and adjust so the arms move
freely without any play front to back. Here's a drawing:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/cabrx.html
(the bottommost drawing)

--
Andrew Muzi