Campag Veloce Gear problems

pmbinns

Mar 17, 2004
I have just installed a full Veloce 9 speed groupset on a brand new Principia frameset. The rear cassette is a 13-26 and the front a double 53/39 chainset.

The gears index fine up from the smallest rear to the fourth cog, when shifting to the fifth cog and upwards they go out of sync and rattle. If I go up to the sixth or seventh where they rattle then come back down to six or five they are fine. It just seems when I am shifting up that from the 5th cog onwards they go out of sync. If I adjust them when I go back down 1 to 4 are out.

Any suggestions???

pmbinns said:
I have just installed a full Veloce 9 speed groupset on a brand new Principia frameset. The rear cassette is a 13-26 and the front a double 53/39 chainset.

The gears index fine up from the smallest rear to the fourth cog, when shifting to the fifth cog and upwards they go out of sync and rattle. If I go up to the sixth or seventh where they rattle then come back down to six or five they are fine. It just seems when I am shifting up that from the 5th cog onwards they go out of sync. If I adjust them when I go back down 1 to 4 are out.

Any suggestions???
A bent hanger is one possibility. Got the cable attaached in the correct position at the DR?. No cable or casing issues? Everything seated correctly in the cable stops. Cable seated in the shifter correctly.Casette lockring tight? Sometimes final cable tension adjustment can be finer than 1/4 turn.

Even poorly trimmed housing can cause poor shifting. If the housing is beveled or the inner liner ragged, the cable will not move the right amount with each shift
Jason

Check the hanger thickness. I've been having the same problem with mine, and my dropouts are only 6mm thick instead of the 7-9mm stated in the manual. I'm going to try putting a washer in later this afternoon.

I had the exact same problem. Last may I put a Veloce 9s group on a new Basso frame. It turns out the hanger was slightly bent. I was unable to tell with the naked eye, but at a local shop they hooked me right up. Its been over 2k miles of sweet shifting bliss ever since.

I just purchased a Campy 10 speed Veloce cassette..
I also had a problem. One of the spacers on my set up is actually a bit thinner than the rest. This spacer has a specific location. The thin spacer is the first one to be used. It goes between the largest cog (26) and the next cog (23). Take a close look at your spacers and their location. It might be the problem. Good Luck.

tend to agree with BikeyGuy but not with certainty. Believe the truth lies in the above however. Spacing I believe is the likely culprit because it doesn't sound incremental but sudden so would check the spacing between the cogs in particular when engagement starts to suffer. If engagement "is the same in each of the four smallest cogs" and not incrementally growing worse as you progress to bigger cogs...which is what you are describing, I would check spacing between cog 4 &5 in particular. The only thing that belies that is you have solid engagement when downshifting even to cogs 5 &6 which seems to support a cable issue. Believe your answer has been stated in one of the responses and you have to figure out which solution applies.
Good Luck,
George

Not sure what to do. Despite having my bike service three times since a September 2004 when my troubles first started, my problems w/ Bianchi Veloce Campagnolo gears continue! :(
I did a three day ride in September 2004, in which I sagged and my bike was plopped up against another bike on the back of a jeep wheel well. Not the best sag arrangement and I believe my shifter or something was bent.
On that same ride while riding tough hills and in my granny gears, my chain began to "plop-off" and the rest of the ride was pretty scarey trying to clip out on the top of hills. Subsequent rides, on tough hills, the same would happen.
I've had my bike serviced a few times, was told the derailer was bent or some other item but it was "fixed".
Yesterday was the first long ride w/ tough hills and the problems got worse. I tried to stay away from granny gear while climbing in front but bike shifted itself from middle in front to the smallest. The chain fell off twice.
Then it got worse -- eventually, couldn''t shift my left lever AT ALL when I tried to move from big to middle ring in front -- huge amount of play that required using two hands to push the lever and even then, it just wouldn't shift. Finally. I ended up doing most of the ride in the middle cog in front and tackled climbs my moving from middle to climbing gears in the back.
When serviced at a rest stop, maintenance guy found a bent link on chain, removed one and attached remaining and I didn't have a problem w/ chain falling off or gears gnashing. But I did have to do the rest of the ride stuck in the middle cog in the front. My left shifter (front) has too much play and won't shift into middle or smallest climbing gear. Help!