Campag Veloce or Centaur

Malcolm

Guest
I'm looking for a groupset for an Audax/Training bike and am thinking Campag
Centaur or Veloce (triples), any views on these groupsets ?

Malc

Malcolm wrote:
> I'm looking for a groupset for an Audax/Training bike and am thinking
> Campag Centaur or Veloce (triples), any views on these groupsets ?

Go for Centaur if you can comfortably afford it, otherwise Veloce is
decent enough.

Both available in 9 and 10-speed versions (although only a few dealers
have 9sp Centaur/Daytona). 9sp is cheaper and cheaper to run when it
comes to replacing chains & cassettes. Note that current-9sp Campag can
be upgraded to 10sp without having to replace much.

Centaur......
- Is Lighter.
- Chainrings are better (forged & machined versus pressed).
- Ergos, crank arms and brakes are very similar (Centaur Ergos have hole
in finger levers).
- Hubs are completely different and superior.

If you fancy non-standard chainring sizes, you could have a Mirage or
Veloce chainset and swap ring(s) for TAs*. Mirage brakes are also just as
good as (or better than) Veloce and Centaur's if you change the shoes for
Kool Stops.

* Specialites TA chainrings: v good quality and full choice of sizes but
chain doesn't shift gear so well on them (at least with the sizes I've
tried).

~PB

Malcolm wrote:

> I'm looking for a groupset for an Audax/Training bike and am thinking Campag
> Centaur or Veloce (triples), any views on these groupsets ?

I have the 2001 9-speed Veloce triple set on my Roberts Audax, and it's
served me well these past three years and 7700 miles, commuting in all
weathers. I'm on my third cassette, having left the first chain change
too long (3500 miles), but everything else is fine. Indexing has not
needed any adjustment, and Ergopower rocks wrt downtube levers.

My only complaint would be that the transmission is a bit noisy if
lubricated with one of your new-fangled "dry" lubricants, but 3-in-1
makes it run super-smooth (and filthy...).

I have no experience with Centaur.

--
Mark.
http://tranchant.plus.com/