Campag Veloce VS Shimano 105

splatt77

Sep 20, 2004
Just wondering what the general optnion is on these two groupsets. Are there any advantages of one over the other? I'm looking at getting either a Pinarello galileo or Argon18 Krypton and am undecided on groupsets. Feedback greatly appreciated.

The Campy vs. Shimano (and now vs. SRAM as well?) debate is one that gets quickly heated and can sometimes degenerate into all sizzle and no steak.

Both systems work excellently and like anything else, each has their own set of minor mechanical quirks, benefits and drawbacks. However the most important issue that you should consider is that of ergonomics. The Shimano STI and Campy ErgoPower systems work slightly differently, and have a rather different shape and feel to the lever hoods and gear triggers; have a go of them each at a bike store and see which ones your hands prefer.

Don't believe the ******** one-liners people like to spout; see how they both feel to you, and decide for yourself.

splatt77 said:
Just wondering what the general optnion is on these two groupsets. Are there any advantages of one over the other? I'm looking at getting either a Pinarello galileo or Argon18 Krypton and am undecided on groupsets. Feedback greatly appreciated.
Can't up shift with Campy, when you are in the drops. Can't differentiate between the the up and down Shimano shift levers, when you have to wear ski gloves. Can shift more gears, with one sweep, with Campy. Campy will sell you shifter parts and, the last time I tried, ShimaNO would't. Depending on the rider's ergonomic preference, Sram offers another choice now.

lks said:
Can't up shift with Campy, when you are in the drops.

This is NOT true. The thumb lever is accessible from the drops if the Ergos are properly mounted.

The rest of the comments I agree with.

John M said:
This is NOT true. The thumb lever is accessible from the drops if the Ergos are properly mounted.

The rest of the comments I agree with.
I should have said, "from the bottom of the drops", otherwise you have to move your hand well forward from the end of the bars for your thumb to reach the shift button.

lks said:
I should have said, "from the bottom of the drops", otherwise you have to move your hand well forward from the end of the bars for your thumb to reach the shift button.
this would apply equally to shimano then. if you can reach the brakes you can reach the gears, up or down

chris davis said:
this would apply equally to shimano then. if you can reach the brakes you can reach the gears, up or down
No, not equal unless you move your hand. When you are in the bottom of the drops, the end of you index finger is on the Shimano up shift lever and you don't have to move your hand to up shift. When your hand is in the "Same Position", the middle of your thumb is 1.5 inches away from the Campy up shift button and you must move/twist your hand to upshift. Inches apart, in a 30mph+ pace line in the bottom of the drops with your index fingers resting on the brake levers, up shifting Campy is a hell of lot different than Shimano. I might add that I switched from Shimano to Campy, so I am not picking on Campy.

I can comment only on 9spd 105 (2003). Hubs, crankset, front derailleur and brakes well-engineered (pads don't last long). Chain, cluster adequate. Rear derailleur suffers from cheapo completely unsealed jockey wheel bearings, which rust and grind with a sniff of water, but can readily be replaced. Brifters a bit uncertain and (my ones at least) inclined to jam completely so that one can neither shift up nor down-always unjammable after a bit of fiddling but undesirable in heavy traffic (I replaced them with DA). Bottom bracket starting to grind a little after about 9000km, while hubs are pristine. 105 pedals not very durable; axles badly pitted after ~7-8000km.
Obviously, the current gruppo has changed quite a lot but some of these comments may still be relevant.

Cheers guys, The post nearly got side tracked into a bit of an argument there in the middle but was nicely brought back on track :D. I've ridden the new Shimano gear and will give the campy a go this weekend then make a decision i guess. I like the idea of SRAM entering the road scene as i have thier full setup on my MTB and it works very well. The only problem is I cant find anyone here in australia that sells it at the moment. Like many things, i recon it will be a while before it reaches these shores. someone please prove me wrong.

Does anyone have any opinions on either of the bikes i'm looking at (Pinarello Angliru and Galileo or Argon 18 Rydon and Krypton)? I'm trying to void the highly popular lure (read "everyone has one") of a carbon TCR/OCR :p

Cheers