Campag Veloce

Bryan

New Member
May 1, 2003
Ok, so I admit that I might have let my knowledge of modern beat combo's slip a bit, but has anyone else heard of this band? Aparently they are a new Madchester band.

Bryan

p.s. sorry for the sorta OTishness but it amused me this morning reading about them :)

In article <[email protected]>,
Bryan <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ok, so I admit that I might have let my knowledge of modern beat combo's
> slip a bit, but has anyone else heard of this band? Aparently they are
> a new Madchester band.
>
> Bryan
>
> p.s. sorry for the sorta OTishness but it amused me this morning
> reading about them :)

In a way it's a good band name, but in another it's a problem as only a
certain elite group (cyclists and Italian speakers) will ever pronounce
it properly! It'll be like the Lead Zeppelin business all over again*

*For those that don't know, it was originally spelt correctly but then
changed to Led when everybody pronounced it to rhyme with 'feed'

Ian
--
My email address is invalid to prevent spam.
Real contact details are on my website at http://www.drianwalker.com

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:31:41 +1000, Bryan
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Ok, so I admit that I might have let my knowledge of modern beat combo's
> slip a bit, but has anyone else heard of this band? Aparently they are
> a new Madchester band.

Not new, not Madchester and not Campag Veloce---they've been around a
while, they are from London via Portsmouth, and they have a T on the end.

http://www.campagvelocet.com/

if you want a listen.

We can now officially begin a thread which will include the band names
Delgadoes and Kraftwerk and mention that band from Leeds who covered Kiss
(the Prince song not the masked band) and wore peugeot cycling gear.

Colin

Bryan wrote:
> Ok, so I admit that I might have let my knowledge of modern beat
> combo's slip a bit, but has anyone else heard of this band?
> Aparently they are a new Madchester band.
>
> Bryan
>
> p.s. sorry for the sorta OTishness but it amused me this morning
> reading about them :)

Campag Velocet. Just released second album. We are reliably informed that
their sound is "Psychadelic punk rock hiphop, space guitars soar over
hostile beats, attitude." More information than most sane people could
possibly want to know may be found at here:

Now we all know.

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

Bryan wrote:

> Ok, so I admit that I might have let my knowledge of modern beat
> combo's slip a bit, but has anyone else heard of this band?
> Aparently they are a new Madchester band.

Don't know about 'Campag Veloce' (sounds a bit pretentious to moi), but I've
noticed that a lot of bands on the Warp Records label have cycling-related
titles: Autechre - Bike, Boards of Canada - Happy Cycling, Plaid - Spokes
(Album), Squarepusher - 50 Cycles. This might be due to the Kraftwerk
influence: Warp's artists all produce electronic music.

Dave Larrington wrote:

> Campag Velocet. Just released second album. We are reliably
> informed that their sound is "Psychadelic punk rock hiphop, space
> guitars soar over hostile beats, attitude." More information than
> most sane people could possibly want to know may be found at here:

Apparently, "they meld ****ed up retro futuristic sounds to narcotic (and
damn narky) beats with a vengeance, natch, and a Primal Scream-worthy
scowl."

Natch.

> that band from Leeds who covered Kiss (the Prince song
> not the masked band)

Age Of Chance.

Mark

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Apparently, "they meld ****ed up retro futuristic sounds to narcotic (and
> damn narky) beats with a vengeance, natch, and a Primal Scream-worthy
> scowl."
>
> Natch.

Last time I saw them, they were dire. [1]

Jon

[1] For variants of dire that involve basically atonal unstructured
noise and bad dancing.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> We can now officially begin a thread which will include the band names
> Delgadoes and Kraftwerk and mention that band from Leeds who covered Kiss
> (the Prince song not the masked band) and wore peugeot cycling gear.

What link is there between the Delgadoes and cycling?

Jon

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 12:53:10 +0100, Jon Senior
<jon@restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk.remove> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>> We can now officially begin a thread which will include the band names
>> Delgadoes and Kraftwerk and mention that band from Leeds who covered
>> Kiss
>> (the Prince song not the masked band) and wore peugeot cycling gear.

> What link is there between the Delgadoes and cycling?

They are named after the cyclist, Delgado. They had an album called
Peloton.

Colin

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 12:53:10 +0100, Jon Senior
<jon@restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk.remove> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>> We can now officially begin a thread which will include the band names
>> Delgadoes and Kraftwerk and mention that band from Leeds who covered
>> Kiss
>> (the Prince song not the masked band) and wore peugeot cycling gear.

> What link is there between the Delgadoes and cycling?

Oh, and they have an exhilirating Tour de Glasgow cycling available...

http://www.delgados.co.uk/news.html?c=viewItem&id=11

Flash and sacrificial email address required.

Colin

Colin Blackburn wrote:

> We can now officially begin a thread which will include the band names
> Delgadoes and Kraftwerk and mention that band from Leeds who covered
> Kiss (the Prince song not the masked band) and wore peugeot cycling
> gear.

There's also a band called Abdoujaparov, featuring former Carter USM
guitarist Fruitbat.

Oes gafr eto?

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:04:12 +0100, Keith Willoughby
<[email protected]> wrote:

>There's also a band called Abdoujaparov, featuring former Carter USM
>guitarist Fruitbat.

Famous of course for his century...

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Ian Walker <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> In a way it's a good band name, but in another it's a problem as only a
> certain elite group (cyclists and Italian speakers) will ever pronounce
> it properly! It'll be like the Lead Zeppelin business all over again*
>
> *For those that don't know, it was originally spelt correctly but then
> changed to Led when everybody pronounced it to rhyme with 'feed'

Wasn't the name originally from an expression coined by Keith Moon
("Went down like a lead Zeppelin")?

David E. Belcher

"Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:31:41 +1000, Bryan
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Ok, so I admit that I might have let my knowledge of modern beat combo's
> > slip a bit, but has anyone else heard of this band? Aparently they are
> > a new Madchester band.

> Not new, not Madchester and not Campag Veloce---they've been around a
> while, they are from London via Portsmouth, and they have a T on the end.
>
> http://www.campagvelocet.com/

As far as I know, the use of the T on the end has Clockwork Orange
connotations (as in "Moloko Plus Velocet"), rather than being to do
with any sniffy legal action/copyright threats by Vicenza's finest.

David E. Belcher

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (David E. Belcher) wrote:

> Ian Walker <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
> > In a way it's a good band name, but in another it's a problem as only a
> > certain elite group (cyclists and Italian speakers) will ever pronounce
> > it properly! It'll be like the Lead Zeppelin business all over again*
> >
> > *For those that don't know, it was originally spelt correctly but then
> > changed to Led when everybody pronounced it to rhyme with 'feed'
> >

> Wasn't the name originally from an expression coined by Keith Moon
> ("Went down like a lead Zeppelin")?
>
> David E. Belcher

Yes!

Ian