Campagenstein Lives!

Campag_nut

Guest
Hi all,

I just took my completely remodelled Apollo VI (circa 1982) for a successful
test ride. I managed to transplant Campag Chorus 10 speed derailleur,
brakes, hubs, Centaur ergo levers onto a newly space blue powder coated
frame. Brooks pro saddle and new white cork tape to finish. Looks
brilliant.

I managed to keep the old front derailleur on as someone advised here
previously.

At this time I would like to thank everyone on this newsgroup who helped me
with their kind advice as I am sure I would have needed serious bike shop
intervention without it! You peoples are the best!

In the end, I still needed a bike shop to help me to remove the headset cups
and put them back in but not a bad effort.

Ebay truly did save me a packet, but I think I got reamed on the wheels as
that's the only parts which are clapped out. Still, they are only for
training and BMXing on [love those bunny hops] (not really...well, actually
it's true, I cannot tell a lie) .

After a 50km ride today I can attest that it pisses on my carbon Bianchi
from a VERY great height.

Cheers & thanks again!

CN

Campag_nut said:
Hi all,

After a 50km ride today I can attest that it pisses on my carbon Bianchi
from a VERY great height.

Cheers & thanks again!

CN

What makes it better? - all subjective opinion of course but it would be interesting to read. Each year I look at my main bike, a 1983 531C Hillman, and I add or modify a bit here and there and it keeps me going. But sometimes I wonder, should I just start again from scratch with something new.

Most recent fiddle; converting my 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19 screw on Sachs cluster to 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 19, 21 canniblizing cogs out of an 8 speed cluster I picked up on ebay on Monday.

RoryW

Campag_nut wrote:
> After a 50km ride today I can attest that it pisses on my carbon Bianchi
> from a VERY great height.

I went to Revolve (the Canberra dump shop) on Sunday, and almost
bought a not-quite-sure-what steel frame with a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed
hub in the back.

I ended up with a slightly-battered "stealth" battery-powered electric
lawnmower instead, for $15. There's no accounting for taste, eh? ;-)

BTH

On May 5, 7:06 pm, "Campag_nut" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just took my completely remodelled Apollo VI (circa 1982) for a successful
> test ride. I managed to transplant Campag Chorus 10 speed derailleur,
> brakes, hubs, Centaur ergo levers onto a newly space blue powder coated
> frame. Brooks pro saddle and new white cork tape to finish. Looks
> brilliant.
>
> I managed to keep the old front derailleur on as someone advised here
> previously.
>
> At this time I would like to thank everyone on this newsgroup who helped me
> with their kind advice as I am sure I would have needed serious bike shop
> intervention without it! You peoples are the best!
>
> In the end, I still needed a bike shop to help me to remove the headset cups
> and put them back in but not a bad effort.
>
> Ebay truly did save me a packet, but I think I got reamed on the wheels as
> that's the only parts which are clapped out. Still, they are only for
> training and BMXing on [love those bunny hops] (not really...well, actually
> it's true, I cannot tell a lie) .
>
> After a 50km ride today I can attest that it pisses on my carbon Bianchi
> from a VERY great height.

Just did a similar (but not quite so involved) upgrade to my commuter
(note: N=1). An early 90's Giant Cadex which had a chequered history
of components, 7sp shimano rsx100 mostly.

Shimergo butcher was as follows:
- campy mirage 10sp shifters
- 9sp tiagra cassette
- 9sp tiagra hub (I just wanted the freehub.. but figured a spare hub
wouldn't go astray.. my current one is getting old in the tooth)
- 9sp sram chain
- cinelli cork tape in black (mmmmmm .. comfy)

all the above was < AU$250 uk mail-order

- swapped the freehubs over.. wheel surprisingly didn't need
redishing.
- Wired up the ergos to my shimano derailleurs, hubbub wrap-around on
the back to compensate for the different cable pull, crossed cables
for tidy front cable routing and voila!..

It all works a treat, shifts nice and cleanly with no problems.

very nice ride to and from work the last couple of days.