Campagnolo 10 speed chain tool

Artoi

Guest
Is it absolutely necessary to use Campagnolo's proprietary UT-CN200
chain tool to join and separate Campy 10 speed chains? Are there any
third party alternatives that can also do the job?

Thanks for any advise here.
--

Artoi wrote:
> Is it absolutely necessary to use Campagnolo's proprietary UT-CN200
> chain tool to join and separate Campy 10 speed chains? Are there any
> third party alternatives that can also do the job?
>
> Thanks for any advise here.
> --

I tried it once with a Tacx chaintool. I failed. Please, please forget
joining 10 speed chains with a chaintool. Get the Wipperman link and you
are done. Available in 6.2 mm (C10 chains) and 6.0 mm (Ultra Narrow chains).
I only use a chaintool for shorten the chain.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

In article <[email protected]>,
Lou Holtman <[email protected]> wrote:

> I tried it once with a Tacx chaintool. I failed. Please, please forget
> joining 10 speed chains with a chaintool. Get the Wipperman link and you
> are done. Available in 6.2 mm (C10 chains) and 6.0 mm (Ultra Narrow chains).
> I only use a chaintool for shorten the chain.

Have you used it with Campag 10 speed chain and gears? As a minimum, I
note that there's a 0.1mm differential in the spec. Don't know if that
makes a difference to the gears.
--

Artoi wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Lou Holtman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I tried it once with a Tacx chaintool. I failed. Please, please forget
> > joining 10 speed chains with a chaintool. Get the Wipperman link and you
> > are done. Available in 6.2 mm (C10 chains) and 6.0 mm (Ultra Narrow chains).
> > I only use a chaintool for shorten the chain.

> Have you used it with Campag 10 speed chain and gears? As a minimum, I
> note that there's a 0.1mm differential in the spec. Don't know if that
> makes a difference to the gears.
> --

For campag 10 speed I've been using a Nemesis chain with tool-less
link, cheap from BikePro.

Donga

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:40:45 +0200, Lou Holtman wrote:

> I tried it once with a Tacx chaintool. I failed. Please, please forget
> joining 10 speed chains with a chaintool. Get the Wipperman link and you
> are done. Available in 6.2 mm (C10 chains) and 6.0 mm (Ultra Narrow chains).
> I only use a chaintool for shorten the chain.

Apparently you have to get the depth of 10-speed chain pins just right, or
the risk of breakage there is fairly high.

"Donga" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Artoi wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Lou Holtman <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > I tried it once with a Tacx chaintool. I failed. Please, please forget
> > > joining 10 speed chains with a chaintool. Get the Wipperman link and you
> > > are done. Available in 6.2 mm (C10 chains) and 6.0 mm (Ultra Narrow
> > > chains).
> > > I only use a chaintool for shorten the chain.

> > Have you used it with Campag 10 speed chain and gears? As a minimum, I
> > note that there's a 0.1mm differential in the spec. Don't know if that
> > makes a difference to the gears.
> > --

> For campag 10 speed I've been using a Nemesis chain with tool-less
> link, cheap from BikePro.

Thanks for the suggestion. But I am specifically looking for solutions
wrt Campag 10 speed chains.
--

Artoi wrote:
> Is it absolutely necessary to use Campagnolo's proprietary UT-CN200
> chain tool to join and separate Campy 10 speed chains? Are there any
> third party alternatives that can also do the job?
>
> Thanks for any advise here.
> --

Any good quality, shop level tool that pushes the pin in straight will
work BUT, the Campag tool, with the metal clip that holds the links
stable, is the best.

Artoi wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Lou Holtman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I tried it once with a Tacx chaintool. I failed. Please, please forget
> > joining 10 speed chains with a chaintool. Get the Wipperman link and you
> > are done. Available in 6.2 mm (C10 chains) and 6.0 mm (Ultra Narrow chains).
> > I only use a chaintool for shorten the chain.

> Have you used it with Campag 10 speed chain and gears? As a minimum, I
> note that there's a 0.1mm differential in the spec. Don't know if that
> makes a difference to the gears.

We sell the 6.2 for Wipperman/Mavic and old Campag 10s chains and the
6.05mm one for shimano 10s chains and the new, narrower, Campag 10s
chain-works great.

Artoi wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Lou Holtman <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>I tried it once with a Tacx chaintool. I failed. Please, please forget
>>joining 10 speed chains with a chaintool. Get the Wipperman link and you
>>are done. Available in 6.2 mm (C10 chains) and 6.0 mm (Ultra Narrow chains).
>>I only use a chaintool for shorten the chain.

> Have you used it with Campag 10 speed chain and gears?

Yes for 4 years now (C10 and the 6.2 mm Connex/Wipperman link) and for 6
months (6.0 mm and a Campy Ulta Narrow chain).
No problems. Everyone who is messing with special pins(Shimano), special
tools (Campy) and special links (Campy) is nuts ;-)

> As a minimum, I
> note that there's a 0.1mm differential in the spec. Don't know if that
> makes a difference to the gears.

I don't know what you mean.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

Artoi wrote:
> Is it absolutely necessary to use Campagnolo's proprietary UT-CN200
> chain tool to join and separate Campy 10 speed chains? Are there any
> third party alternatives that can also do the job?
>
> Thanks for any advise here.
> --

I would say that if it is what you need to feel completely sure that
your Campy chain is linked properly then it is "absolutely necessary."
OTOH, if you have eyes and hands of a surgeon skilled in micro-surgery
then you can probably make do with an ordinary chain tool.

"Kenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Artoi wrote:
>> Is it absolutely necessary to use Campagnolo's proprietary UT-CN200
>> chain tool to join and separate Campy 10 speed chains? Are there any
>> third party alternatives that can also do the job?
>>
>> Thanks for any advise here.
>> --

> I would say that if it is what you need to feel completely sure that
> your Campy chain is linked properly then it is "absolutely necessary."
> OTOH, if you have eyes and hands of a surgeon skilled in micro-surgery
> then you can probably make do with an ordinary chain tool.

I would forget the stupid chain tool and get yourself a removable link.
Wipperman, IRD, and I think Sram all have links that will work without
needing to become skilled in micro-surgery!

In article <[email protected]>,
"Kenny" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Artoi wrote:
> > Is it absolutely necessary to use Campagnolo's proprietary UT-CN200
> > chain tool to join and separate Campy 10 speed chains? Are there any
> > third party alternatives that can also do the job?
> >
> > Thanks for any advise here.
> > --

> I would say that if it is what you need to feel completely sure that
> your Campy chain is linked properly then it is "absolutely necessary."
> OTOH, if you have eyes and hands of a surgeon skilled in micro-surgery
> then you can probably make do with an ordinary chain tool.

I think I might just qualify! And save a bundle of cash... ;)

"bfd" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Kenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Artoi wrote:
> >> Is it absolutely necessary to use Campagnolo's proprietary UT-CN200
> >> chain tool to join and separate Campy 10 speed chains? Are there any
> >> third party alternatives that can also do the job?
> >>
> >> Thanks for any advise here.
> >> --

> > I would say that if it is what you need to feel completely sure that
> > your Campy chain is linked properly then it is "absolutely necessary."
> > OTOH, if you have eyes and hands of a surgeon skilled in micro-surgery
> > then you can probably make do with an ordinary chain tool.
> >

> I would forget the stupid chain tool and get yourself a removable link.
> Wipperman, IRD, and I think Sram all have links that will work without
> needing to become skilled in micro-surgery!

I'll have to search for that Wipperman solution. Not sure if they are
readily available in Australia.

Lou Holtman <[email protected]> wrote:

> Artoi wrote:

> > As a minimum, I
> > note that there's a 0.1mm differential in the spec. Don't know if that
> > makes a difference to the gears.

> I don't know what you mean.

Campy's spec for the 10 speed ultra-narrow chain is 5.9mm while the
Wippermann link is 6.0mm. Is this an issue?

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Artoi wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Lou Holtman <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > I tried it once with a Tacx chaintool. I failed. Please, please forget
> > > joining 10 speed chains with a chaintool. Get the Wipperman link and you
> > > are done. Available in 6.2 mm (C10 chains) and 6.0 mm (Ultra Narrow
> > > chains).
> > > I only use a chaintool for shorten the chain.

> > Have you used it with Campag 10 speed chain and gears? As a minimum, I
> > note that there's a 0.1mm differential in the spec. Don't know if that
> > makes a difference to the gears.

> We sell the 6.2 for Wipperman/Mavic and old Campag 10s chains and the
> 6.05mm one for shimano 10s chains and the new, narrower, Campag 10s
> chain-works great.
> > --

Are the 6.0mm links for Campag readily available? or are people using
the 6.2mm version with the 5.9mm Campag 10 speed chains?

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Artoi wrote:
> > Is it absolutely necessary to use Campagnolo's proprietary UT-CN200
> > chain tool to join and separate Campy 10 speed chains? Are there any
> > third party alternatives that can also do the job?
> >
> > Thanks for any advise here.
> > --

> Any good quality, shop level tool that pushes the pin in straight will
> work BUT, the Campag tool, with the metal clip that holds the links
> stable, is the best.

Thanks. That helps with my purchasing decision.

One final question. Does the Campag tool have any special guides or
limits when it comes to how far to push in the new pin? Or does it also
depend on user's direct examination?
--

Artoi wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Kenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > I would say that if it is what you need to feel completely sure that
> > > your Campy chain is linked properly then it is "absolutely necessary."
> > > OTOH, if you have eyes and hands of a surgeon skilled in micro-surgery
> > > then you can probably make do with an ordinary chain tool.
> > >

> > I would forget the stupid chain tool and get yourself a removable link.
> > Wipperman, IRD, and I think Sram all have links that will work without
> > needing to become skilled in micro-surgery!

> I'll have to search for that Wipperman solution. Not sure if they are
> readily available in Australia.
> --

Dean Woods has them for $19 ea - not a bad bit of value-adding to a few
grams of steel!

Lickton's is expecting arrival of a Superlink that is sized correcty for
the 5.9 Campy but last I checked, they hadn't arrived yet. They're
expecting them in early Nov.

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='0337-59'

news:[email protected]...

bfd wrote:
> "Kenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Artoi wrote:
> >> Is it absolutely necessary to use Campagnolo's proprietary UT-CN200
> >> chain tool to join and separate Campy 10 speed chains? Are there any
> >> third party alternatives that can also do the job?
> >>
> >> Thanks for any advise here.
> >> --

> > I would say that if it is what you need to feel completely sure that
> > your Campy chain is linked properly then it is "absolutely necessary."
> > OTOH, if you have eyes and hands of a surgeon skilled in micro-surgery
> > then you can probably make do with an ordinary chain tool.
> >

> I would forget the stupid chain tool and get yourself a removable link.
> Wipperman, IRD, and I think Sram all have links that will work without
> needing to become skilled in micro-surgery!

not the Sram 10s chain. ALTHO 5.9MM, It has a one use link, not
reuseable.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Donga" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Artoi wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > "Kenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > I would forget the stupid chain tool and get yourself a removable link.
> > > Wipperman, IRD, and I think Sram all have links that will work without
> > > needing to become skilled in micro-surgery!

> > I'll have to search for that Wipperman solution. Not sure if they are
> > readily available in Australia.
> > --

> Dean Woods has them for $19 ea - not a bad bit of value-adding to a few
> grams of steel!

Gosh, $19... 1/2 the price of a quality chain. And then supposedly they
last around 2000-3000km. Ouch!