is loose enough but has 2mm of play when the QR is tight.

I disassembled the hub and put it back together. I 've check the '98
Chorus exploded diagram from Campy, and can't see anything I did
wrong. One question, though- is the set screw on the cog-side
supposed to screw into the axle slot?

Also, how tight should one tighten the right-side outmost nut on the
axle?

Thanks .... Rob

On 2007-05-21, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having problems adjusting my '98 Chorus rear hub. When doing
> the preload adjustments, I can not get it to the point that there is a
> bit of play when the quick release isn't tight, but no play when the
> quick release is tight. Either it is too tight and feels rough, or it
> is loose enough but has 2mm of play when the QR is tight.

I have a very difficult time judging the adjustment that way. The amount
of play with the QR released is tiny, and you're trying to feel it at
the end of a very short lever. I've had much better luck adjusting the
bearings with the approach deatailed at
<http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=105>:

In short, you want to secure the wheel to one of the rear dropouts so
that the wheel sits *outside* the rear triangle. That gives you access
to the cone & locknut while the axle is compressed just as it will be in
normal operation. You can judge play by wiggling the entire wheel rather
than the little stub of axle that sticks out. Adjust the cone so you've
just eliminated play, tighten the locknut against it, put everything back
together, and go ride. Unless something's wrong with your hub you should
get a perfect adjustment every time.

Dans le message de news:[email protected],
Steve Gravrock <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
> On 2007-05-21, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am having problems adjusting my '98 Chorus rear hub. When doing
>> the preload adjustments, I can not get it to the point that there is
>> a bit of play when the quick release isn't tight, but no play when
>> the quick release is tight. Either it is too tight and feels rough,
>> or it is loose enough but has 2mm of play when the QR is tight.

> I have a very difficult time judging the adjustment that way. The
> amount of play with the QR released is tiny, and you're trying to
> feel it at the end of a very short lever. I've had much better luck
> adjusting the bearings with the approach deatailed at
> <http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=105>:
>
> In short, you want to secure the wheel to one of the rear dropouts so
> that the wheel sits *outside* the rear triangle. That gives you access
> to the cone & locknut while the axle is compressed just as it will be
> in normal operation. You can judge play by wiggling the entire wheel
> rather than the little stub of axle that sticks out. Adjust the cone
> so you've just eliminated play, tighten the locknut against it, put
> everything back together, and go ride. Unless something's wrong with
> your hub you should get a perfect adjustment every time.

As I remember it, my Chorus rear hub had a special, split locknut, with an
crossing locking screw. It allowed for adjustment with the quick release in
place, for just the issue you are caught up with. Are you sure yours is a
'98 ?
--
Bonne route !

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

[email protected] wrote:
> I am having problems adjusting my '98 Chorus rear hub. When doing
> the preload adjustments, I can not get it to the point that there is a
> bit of play when the quick release isn't tight, but no play when the
> quick release is tight. Either it is too tight and feels rough, or it
> is loose enough but has 2mm of play when the QR is tight.
>
> I disassembled the hub and put it back together. I 've check the '98
> Chorus exploded diagram from Campy, and can't see anything I did
> wrong. One question, though- is the set screw on the cog-side
> supposed to screw into the axle slot?
>
> Also, how tight should one tighten the right-side outmost nut on the
> axle?

Right side nut goes fully tight, then lock the right locknut's setscrew
before the axle assembly is inserted into the hub.

Do you have the correct bearing sizes? Bearing count? All is clean? No
errant spring, pawl or O-Ring during assembly?

These hubs adjust easily when all is clean and prepped properly. If
there are no worn pieces, you are likely missing some small point of
assembly, added an extra ball or some such. If the right side locknut
wasn't tight and locked, it can't be adjusted.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Sandy wrote:
> As I remember it, my Chorus rear hub had a special, split locknut, with an
> crossing locking screw. It allowed for adjustment with the quick release in
> place, for just the issue you are caught up with. Are you sure yours is a
> '98 ?

Yours is likely the 2000 & later type. 1998 is the 'old'
threaded-cone-and-locknut type

--

On May 21, 10:50 am, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having problems adjusting my '98 Chorus rear hub. When doing
> the preload adjustments, I can not get it to the point that there is a
> bit of play when the quick release isn't tight, but no play when the
> quick release is tight. Either it is too tight and feels rough, or it
> is loose enough but has 2mm of play when the QR is tight.
>
> I disassembled the hub and put it back together. I 've check the '98
> Chorus exploded diagram from Campy, and can't see anything I did
> wrong. One question, though- is the set screw on the cog-side
> supposed to screw into the axle slot?
>
> Also, how tight should one tighten the right-side outmost nut on the
> axle?
>
> Thanks .... Rob

8 1/4 inch balls on the left side...10 7/32 under the freehub. Right
side locknut 10 ft-lbs, then tighten the setscrew..not necessarily
into the slot-doesn't matter. No pits in the replaceable cone under
the freehub? Rubber o ring not pinched under the freehub? An axle vice
helps a lot when adjusting these. Drive side into the axle vice, then
adjust in small increments.

On May 22, 8:41 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:

> 8 1/4 inch balls on the left side...10 7/32 under the freehub.

That was it. Talk about Murphy. There must have been an extra bearing
dropped into one of the recesses of the hub during manufacture or the
last overhaul. I took out the left side bearings, cleaned them, and
then put them back in. All 9 of them.

Problem solved! You guys rock. Thanks- Rob

On May 22, 6:41 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 21, 10:50 am, [email protected] wrote:
>

> > Hi,

> > I am having problems adjusting my '98 Chorus rear hub. When doing
> > the preload adjustments, I can not get it to the point that there is a
> > bit of play when the quick release isn't tight, but no play when the
> > quick release is tight. Either it is too tight and feels rough, or it
> > is loose enough but has 2mm of play when the QR is tight.

> > I disassembled the hub and put it back together. I 've check the '98
> > Chorus exploded diagram from Campy, and can't see anything I did
> > wrong. One question, though- is the set screw on the cog-side
> > supposed to screw into the axle slot?

> > Also, how tight should one tighten the right-side outmost nut on the
> > axle?

> > Thanks .... Rob

> 8 1/4 inch balls on the left side...10 7/32 under the freehub. Right
> side locknut 10 ft-lbs, then tighten the setscrew..not necessarily
> into the slot-doesn't matter. No pits in the replaceable cone under
> the freehub? Rubber o ring not pinched under the freehub? An axle vice
> helps a lot when adjusting these. Drive side into the axle vice, then
> adjust in small increments.

OPPPPS, 9 1/4 inch balls, not 8..someday I'm gonna learn how to type
and proofread...