Campagnolo 8 to 9 speeds

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Paul Slavchenko, Nov 3, 2003.

  1. My trusty 8 speed Athena ergolever will no longer hold its position on the inner rear spocket under
    heavy pedalling. I'm thinking that the "rachet disc" may be worn and needs replacing.

    I have read in this group that the disc can be replaced with a 9 speed one. I have two 8 speed rear
    wheels and would only go to 9 speeds if this could be done very cheaply -- I don't need the extra
    gear enough to buy new hubs or cassette bodies and to discard my 8 speed freewheels (I have 3).

    Is there a set of conversion spacers to allow putting 9 of the 8speed cogs on my 8 speed hub? I have
    done a google search of the web (no luck -- all sorts of other conversions, though) and of this
    group (which had a thread describing this from 2000) but I don't know where to get these spacers.

    TIA

    Paul

    Tags:

  2. daveornee

    daveornee New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Messages:
    2,763
    http://wheelsmfg.com/PDF/wheelsmfg2004catalog.pdf
    is a good place to start.
    Per Sheldon's chart at URL
    http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
    Campy 8 speed spacing is 5 mm on center with 1.9 mm cog thickness and 3.1 mm spacer thickness.
    Campy 9 speed spacing is 4.55 on center with 1.75 mm cog thickness and 2.8 mm spacer thickness.
    If you subtract the 1.9 mm 8 speed Campy cog thickness from the 4.55 mm 9 speed spacing; you would need 2.65 mm thick spacers.
    If you add the 8 cogs and 7 spacers from your existing Campy set up = 8*(1.9) + 7*(3.1) = 15.2 + 21.7 = 36.9 mm
    If you add the 9 each eight speed Campy cogs and 8 each spacers you get =
    9*(1.9) + 8*(2.65) = 17.1 + 21.2 = 38.3 mm.
    I don't know if it will work, fit, or what the best chain to use, if it would work.
    Since Wheels Manufcturing specializes in these type of solutions, you might try calling them direct.

  3. Tom Paterson

    Tom Paterson Guest

    >From: "Paul Slavchenko"

    >I have read in this group that the disc can be replaced with a 9 speed one. I have two 8 speed rear
    >wheels and would only go to 9 speeds if this could be done very cheaply -- I don't need the extra
    >gear enough to buy new hubs or cassette bodies and to discard my 8 speed freewheels (I have 3).
    >
    >Is there a set of conversion spacers to allow putting 9 of the 8speed cogs on my 8 speed hub?
    >I have done a google search of the web (no luck -- all sorts of other conversions, though) and
    >of this group (which had a thread describing this from 2000) but I don't >know where to get
    >these spacers.

    I've seen a set of "Wheels" brand 8-9speed conversion spacers for Campy on ebay recently.

    Where will you get the cogs you need? --Tom Paterson

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Paul Slavchenko wrote:
    > My trusty 8 speed Athena ergolever will no longer hold its position on the inner rear spocket
    > under heavy pedalling. I'm thinking that the "rachet disc" may be worn and needs replacing.

    It's more likely to be the ratchet 'g' springs.

    > I have read in this group that the disc can be replaced with a 9 speed one. I have two 8 speed
    > rear wheels and would only go to 9 speeds if this could be done very cheaply -- I don't need the
    > extra gear enough to buy new hubs or cassette bodies and to discard my 8 speed freewheels (I
    > have 3).
    >
    > Is there a set of conversion spacers to allow putting 9 of the 8speed cogs on my 8 speed hub?

    There won't be enough room on the hub for nine 8-speed cogs even when used with 9-speed spacers (and
    then spacing would be wrong as well because 8sp cogs are thicker).

    However, you could use eight cogs with 9sp levers if cassette is spaced correctly and 1st gear
    position is locked out with the derailleur's limit screw. You'll need 2.65mm spacers. I don't know
    if there is a special kit on the market but Shimano IG 7sp spacers happen to be the perfect width.
    (Nevermind about the built in spacer between smallest and next smallest cog, by the way). One 3 to
    4mm spacer will need to be fitted behind the cassette to bulk it out. My sums can be checked using
    the following info. Please do! : www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing

    Alternatively, 9-speed cogs can be made to fit by filing/grinding the sprocket spline tabs down and
    nine of these spaced for 9sp can just about fit - although frame may not have enough clearance.
    Eight 9sp-spaced sprockets could be used with 9sp shifters if necessary.

    You'll need a 9-speed chain with 9sp spacing. The narrowest one you can find will be best if using
    8sp cogs: Shimano? (internal width is the same but narrower overall will help reduce noise).

    ~PB

  5. I have 8 speed 13-23, and 12-23 cassettes and an additional 26 tooth cog. I've been putting in the
    26 tooth early in the season by deleting the 14 or 13 at the other end, and then switching back as
    my fitness improves over the course of the spring. So you can see that this is not a huge
    necessity, but it would allow me to ride with that 26 tooth cog all year in case of strong wind and
    power failure.

    Paul

    news:[email protected]...

  6. On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 12:33:32 +0000, Paul Slavchenko wrote:

    > My trusty 8 speed Athena ergolever will no longer hold its position on the inner rear spocket
    > under heavy pedalling. I'm thinking that the "rachet disc" may be worn and needs replacing.

    Probably the g-springs, actually.

    > I have read in this group that the disc can be replaced with a 9 speed one.

    True.

    I have two 8 speed rear wheels and would only go to 9 speeds if this
    > could be done very cheaply -- I don't need the extra gear enough to buy new hubs or cassette
    > bodies and to discard my 8 speed freewheels (I have
    > 3).
    >
    > Is there a set of conversion spacers to allow putting 9 of the 8speed cogs on my 8 speed hub?

    I believe there is. However, finding 8-speed cogs will get harder with time.

    According to http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html, the spacers from a 7-speed Shimano IGĀ cassette are
    the right thickness to get the spacing between Campy 8-speed sprockets to match the spacing of
    9-speed sprockets. If you have a bunch of old cassettes you could cobble something together that
    way. The 8-speed sprockets are thicker than 9-speed, but might still work with a 9-speed chain. You
    need the thinner chain to keep from getting interference from neighboring sprockets.

    When I converted (not to get the extra cog, but to get better prices/selection of cassettes) I got
    replacement hubs. You can just replace the freehub saving the need to re-build the wheel.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not _`\(,_ | certain, and as
    far as they are certain, they do not refer to (_)/ (_) | reality. -- Albert Einstein

  7. Bill K.

    Bill K. Guest

    Branfordbike.com can rebuild your Ergo levers to "old" 9 speed to work with your 8 speed changer,
    and can sell the spacer kit to make your cassettes work. All the info is on their website. Other
    places can do the same thing.

  8. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 12:33:32 -0500, "Paul Slavchenko" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have read in this group that the disc can be replaced with a 9 speed one. I have two 8 speed rear
    >wheels and would only go to 9 speeds if this could be done very cheaply -- I don't need the extra
    >gear enough to buy new hubs or cassette bodies and to discard my 8 speed freewheels (I have 3).

    If you replace the spacers on your cassettes with 2.4 mm x 10 sp ones, you can get 9 on and shift 9.
    The cogs are 1.9 mm and 2.4 spacers are
    4.3 mm vs 4.34 for real Campy 9. I was successful using 2.5 mm Wheels purple spacers for Shimano
    cassettes. I think that retail is $2/spacer. Your local shop can get the 2.4 size spacer from Tiso
    distributor for the same retail is they want to bother to find the supplier. I took a cassette
    that ended in a 23 and put a 26 on as the 9th cog. The 8sp first cog worked fine.

  9. slav-<< My trusty 8 speed Athena ergolever will no longer hold its position on the inner rear
    spocket under heavy pedalling. I'm thinking that the "rachet disc" may be worn and needs replacing.
    >><BR><BR>

    Not the disc, these are really hard steel, I have NEVER seen one wear out. Ya just need new shift
    springs and perhaps a spring carrier, that can break.

    Slav-<< I have read in this group that the disc can be replaced with a 9 speed one. I have two 8
    speed rear wheels and would only go to 9 speeds if this could be done very cheaply >><BR><BR>

    Disc is easy, rear wheel is tougher as 9s freehub bodies compatible with 8s Record and Chorus and
    Athena and down are getting SCARCE and expensive($75)...

    Slav-<< Is there a set of conversion spacers to allow putting 9 of the 8speed cogs on my 8 speed
    hub? >><BR><BR>

    Wheels Manufaturing has some, work 'OK'-

  10. RDKILL-<< Branfordbike.com can rebuild your Ergo levers to "old" 9 speed to work with your 8 speed
    changer, >><BR><BR>

    Don't think they have this disc any longer....