campagnolo 9sp indexing

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jay, Apr 22, 2003.

  1. Jay

    Jay Guest

    Does anyone know the situation with 9 speed indexing compatibility between the different years of
    groups? On the Excel web site they have the following.

    "The right-hand 9-speed control had to be adapted to the new geometry of the 2001 Record 9-speed
    rear derailleur. This control now includes a new indexing mechanism which makes it incompatible with
    previous 9-speed rear derailleur."

    So does this mean that in 2001 they made a change in the cable pull of the lever that makes all
    pre-2001 9 speed different than after 2001?

    I'm also wondering if a campy 10sp derailleur with work in place of a 9sp.

    Just trying to understand the differences between the models and years and indexing/cable pull.
    Maybe there is a web site that explains this in more detail?

    Thanks

    Jay

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Jay" <Jay.Guthrie [email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know the situation with 9 speed indexing compatibility between the different years of
    > groups? On the Excel web site they have the following.
    >
    > "The right-hand 9-speed control had to be adapted to the new geometry of
    the
    > 2001 Record 9-speed rear derailleur. This control now includes a new indexing mechanism which
    > makes it incompatible with previous 9-speed rear derailleur."
    >
    > So does this mean that in 2001 they made a change in the cable pull of the lever that makes all
    > pre-2001 9 speed different than after 2001?
    >
    > I'm also wondering if a campy 10sp derailleur with work in place of a 9sp.
    >
    > Just trying to understand the differences between the models and years and indexing/cable pull.
    > Maybe there is a web site that explains this in more detail?

    In practice, we use current Campagnolo rear derailleurs in systems all the way back to 1992 eight
    speed. They work just fine. I have never seen a case of early/late Ergo or early/late changer
    incompatibility.

    I think the theoretical difference is probably less than the float in the upper pulley.

    Occasionally we get a call from a customer asking if his new nine speed bike should really have come
    with a "ten speed" changer. They seem the same to us in all respects except the nameplate and the
    upper pulley.

  3. Jay-<< Does anyone know the situation with 9 speed indexing compatibility between the different
    years of groups? On the Excel web site they have the following.

    << "The right-hand 9-speed control had to be adapted to the new geometry of the 2001 Record 9-speed
    rear derailleur.

    Not true at all...we use 9 and 10s ERGO(2003) with old(like from 1993/4/5), not worn out Campag
    rders all the time. Additionally, we use new(2003) rders for older ERGO(like 1992) w/o any
    modification...all works just fine.

    << This control now includes a new indexing mechanism which makes it incompatible with previous
    9-speed rear derailleur."

    Not true in our very extensive experience...

    << I'm also wondering if a campy 10sp derailleur with work in place of a 9sp.

    Yep, we even put a Record 10s rder onto Colby Pearce's 8s system, worked great, no modifications.

    << Just trying to understand the differences between the models and years and indexing/cable pull.

    I'll make it simple, you can use ANY Campagnolo rder that was produced from 1992 until now with ANY
    Campagnolo ERGO produced from 1992 until now...just match the number of cogs with the 'speed' of the
    ERGO shifter.