Campagnolo a DA10 Alternative?

Synpax

Sep 11, 2004
Hi,

I'm spec'ing out a group for a tri bike (Kuota Kalibur) and see that the Dura Ace 10 set is nearly universally being packaged by most shops (Nytro, etc.) with the bike.

However, I also know that Campagnolo has groupsets, too, and was curious how their Record set stacks up against the DA10 set.

Does anyone have any insight on this? Thanks.

Synpax said:
Hi,

I'm spec'ing out a group for a tri bike (Kuota Kalibur) and see that the Dura Ace 10 set is nearly universally being packaged by most shops (Nytro, etc.) with the bike.

However, I also know that Campagnolo has groupsets, too, and was curious how their Record set stacks up against the DA10 set.

Oh geeeezzzzzzze!! not more of this?? :rolleyes: Thinking record 10 and have to ask... :rolleyes:

boudreaux said:
Oh geeeezzzzzzze!! not more of this?? :rolleyes: Thinking record 10 and have to ask... :rolleyes:
I'm a little dense. If this has already been convered on this board or is perceived as a troll, my apologies. I'll take a second look for threads on this subject.

I just haven't seen much discussion comparing these two sets. I think Shimano dominates the market - or at least it seems that way.

Synpax said:
Hi,

:confused: 'k, a little of what boudreaux said... :)

Record is awesome, so is Dura Ace. For top-level cyclists both groups seem to work well (I doubt anyone ever lost a race just because he/she was on Dura Ace, and his/her opponent was on Record, or vice versa).

I think that, bar having pots of money to burn, I'd be nervous of riding something like Dura Ace or Record if I couldn't perform at a top level. Every time I got smoked by some guy riding Ultegra or 105 I'd be ashamed. ;)

It's almost like wearing a yellow jersey you haven't earned...

Cheers,
J.

JackTheLadd said:

Record is awesome, so is Dura Ace. For top-level cyclists both groups seem to work well (I doubt anyone ever lost a race just because he/she was on Dura Ace, and his/her opponent was on Record, or vice versa).

I think that, bar having pots of money to burn, I'd be nervous of riding something like Dura Ace or Record if I couldn't perform at a top level. Every time I got smoked by some guy riding Ultegra or 105 I'd be ashamed. ;)

Cheers,
J.
I'm pretty immune to shame for something like that. And Yellow really isn't my color. The only person I'm racing out there is me - at least at this point in time.

If you had to choose one or the other, which would it be and why (without factoring cost)?

My one friend who works in a high end bike shop says Campy is better stuff - lighter (?), better crafted. But if your going to make a decision based on anecdotal info, you best collect as much as possible.

Synpax said:
My one friend who works in a high end bike shop says Campy is better stuff - lighter (?), better crafted. But if your going to make a decision based on anecdotal info, you best collect as much as possible.
Bling and poseur' points.... priceless! Don't need no nose pickin, carpet smokin shop monkey to tell ya that. :rolleyes:

Synpax said:
I'm pretty immune to shame for something like that. And Yellow really isn't my color. The only person I'm racing out there is me - at least at this point in time.

If you had to choose one or the other, which would it be and why (without factoring cost)?

Hi,

They're both great groupsets. Personally (and this is a totally subjective opinion) I would go for Record, if price, availability of spares etc are not factors. I use Campy on my other bikes and like it. It looks beautiful and works well (as long as it's properly adjusted, of course).

The old saying is that "Shimano wears out and Campagnolo wears in", meaning that Campy components supposedly "bed in" over time to get smoother in operation rather than slacker. That said, most recreational or intro-level cyclists probably would take a long time to wear out Dura Ace (or Ultegra) level componentry.

I rode Shimano 600EX (very old Ultegra)for the better part of 20 years, and it's still going... Your milage may vary (depending upon your milage :))

Whatever you decide to get, enjoy!!

Cheers,
J.

boudreaux - hater and envy points. PRICELESS!!

JackTheLadd - Solid advice. I expect this bike to last me the next eight years or so and think, physiology-wise, to have one bike and stick to it is a good strategy. I also have an elite friend who may want to borrow it so while I may not win any races, at least my bike can.

Next Big Question - what to name the bike? I've named my current one the Millenium Falcon. To quote Han Solo: "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Synpax said:
Hi,

Here´s a thread started by me to avoid the usual brand bashing while discussing Dura Ace and Record. http://www.cyclingforums.com/t80416-.html

As to naming your bike..... you´re on your own

mrowkoob said:
Here´s a thread started by me to avoid the usual brand bashing while discussing Dura Ace and Record. http://www.cyclingforums.com/t80416-.html

As to naming your bike..... you´re on your own
Ah - that's an excellent thread. It sounds pretty unanymous in favor of camp.

All of those guys are probably road bikers. I'm a tri guy and even going out on short rides it takes some very rough riding to get me off the aerobars. I wonder if that changes the equation between the two group sets.

JackTheLadd said:

Cheers,
J.

Not everyone who owns a Porsche races or a Cadillac is in the mob, some of us just like the ride! If someone puts 13,000 + miles a year on their bike I think they are pretty secure in their abillities whether they're pro's or not even when dusted by a guy using 105 or for that matter, Sora. As for my choice in parts, I'm a Campy kind of guy (Record Carbon); AND I DON'T CARE WHO BEATS ME OR WITH WHAT PART THEY DID IT WITH, AS LONG AS IT WASN'T A HUFFY!

FELTF10 said:
Not everyone who owns a Porsche races or a Cadillac is in the mob, some of us just like the ride! If someone puts 13,000 + miles a year on their bike I think they are pretty secure in their abillities whether they're pro's or not even when dusted by a guy using 105 or for that matter, Sora. As for my choice in parts, I'm a Campy kind of guy (Record Carbon); AND I DON'T CARE WHO BEATS ME OR WITH WHAT PART THEY DID IT WITH, AS LONG AS IT WASN'T A HUFFY!
"AND I DON'T CARE WHO BEATS ME OR WITH WHAT PART THEY DID IT WITH, AS LONG AS IT WASN'T A HUFFY!"

Ah, so you do care then. ;)

Synpax said:
Hi,

I have Record 10 on a new frame that I just built up. After 2 1/2 years on Ultegra, And one year (so far about 3,500 miles) on Record here are my observations. On Ultegra, I would usually need to tune up the bike (I ride 5-6k a year) at least twice a year, and I would go through on average 2 chains and 2 cassettes. This would be obvious, since the chain would skip and the shifting would be inconsistent. Plus the drivetrain in general would be pretty noisy. I also found that after one season the pulleys on the rear derailleur were junk and needed replacing. So far on Record, the only tune up I have done was after a couple hundred miles when the bike was breaking in. Since then, I am yet to miss a shift or need to tune anything. The cassette (I went with Chorus here, because I thought titanium was just silly) still shows basically no sign of wear and the chain stretch is less than 1/16th of an inch at this point. I certainly understand the 'bling factor of Record or DA, but you also get what you pay for. The Record group really holds up nicely and even though it cost more, the lifespan makes up for it. The same can be said about DA. I have lots of high mileage friends on DA and they love it too.

JackTheLadd said:
"AND I DON'T CARE WHO BEATS ME OR WITH WHAT PART THEY DID IT WITH, AS LONG AS IT WASN'T A HUFFY!"

Ah, so you do care then. ;)

I do have some standards, just joking, I myself have used a huffy from time to time; It may have been as a frisbee at a Huffy toss, but still, I used it.

Synpax said:
.... I'm a tri guy and even going out on short rides it takes some very rough riding to get me off the aerobars. I wonder if that changes the equation between the two group sets.

No. Campy bar-end shifting works fine. A few years back, Shimano was quite a bit lighter than Campy and that had its appeal for tri-folk. Now that Campy is light and performance excellent, it is showing up on more tri/TT bikes.