Campagnolo advice

artemidorus

Mar 10, 2004
Dear Campyphiles, my DuraAce 9 spd right shifter has finally packed it in and I'm thinking of going to the Dark Side, having found that Shimano appears to have utterly abandoned the 9 speed road market at all groupset levels. I need a little advice.

Do you think that an 11 speed chain will run on a Shimano 9 spd crankset?

Will an 11 speed cassette fit on the standard Campy freehub (specifically the Mavic Campagnolo freehub)?

Does the Campy cassette lockring come with the cassette or with the freehub?

Are the Campy and Shimano lockring tools different?

How does one get around the problem of the $300 chain tool? Is there a cheaper after-market tool? Can I get a removable link for 11 speed?

Replies will be much appreciated.

artemidorus said:
?
artemidorus said:
Will an 11 speed cassette fit on the standard Campy freehub (specifically the Mavic Campagnolo freehub)?
Apparently, yes.
artemidorus said:
The lockring comes with the hub (or, wheel).
artemidorus said:
The cassette tools ARE different.

But, there is at least ONE aftermarket Campy freehub compatible lockring (for post-2000 freehubs) that uses the Shimano cassette tool -- my recollection is that I got it from EXCEL SPORTS (several years ago) ... alloy ... it was about $25US at the time.
artemidorus said:
How does one get around the problem of the $300 chain tool? Is there a cheaper after-market tool? Can I get a removable link for 11 speed?
?

artemidorus said:
Dear Campyphiles, my DuraAce 9 spd right shifter has finally packed it in and I'm thinking of going to the Dark Side, having found that Shimano appears to have utterly abandoned the 9 speed road market at all groupset levels. I need a little advice.

Replies will be much appreciated.

First, 9s STI levers, based on the design of the 10s stuff, IS available. Tiagra level I believe. Good levers, work well.

Second, with a little front shifting finesse, that is, reducing pedal pressure as you shift from big to small, a 9s crank will accomodate a 11s chain fine.

11s Campag cogsets will fit onto any freehub designed for Campagnolo 9s or 10s(including mavic).

For 11s, the lockring is coming with the cogset. For all others, with the hub BUT a lockring for 9/10s will work with an 11s cogset.

Lockring tools for shimano/sram and Campagnolo are slightly different.

Tough one for the chain tool. Not really that expensive but it is about $240. It is designed to mushroom the end of the pin after installation. Probably any tool can do that. Altho not recommended, I have use a Wipperman 10s link on 2 11s chains before I could get 11s chain pins. The chainpin supplied is the best idea.

Thank you both for your replies. In the end I decided to stick with 10s Shimano, as I have every relevant tool, I didn't want to render 2 out of 3 of my rear wheels useless to me and a Chorus Campy change was going to cost roughly twice as much as DuraAce 10 speed. Maybe I'll get a new Campy bike...