Campagnolo aheadset installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Charles Smith

The bearing cover that ... covers the top bearing doesn't go down as far as it should. The
cutaway drawing in the front of the installation manual shows it going down over top race, as you
would expect.

I put in the bearing the right way, balls up, upper cone, then the plastic adjuster with the notched
side up. When I attempt to get the bearing cover down over the top race something won't let it.

This is 1 inch if that makes a difference.

Charles
--
Catamaran racing is like being a kid: Wide Eyes, Big Smile, Wet Bottom

"Charles Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> The bearing cover that ... covers the top bearing doesn't go down as far as it should. The
> cutaway drawing in the front of the installation manual shows it going down over top race, as you
> would expect.
>
> I put in the bearing the right way, balls up, upper cone, then the plastic adjuster with the
> notched side up. When I attempt to get the bearing cover down over the top race something
> won't let it.
>
> This is 1 inch if that makes a difference.

I had the same experience a few years ago the first time I installed a new sample of the current
Campagnolo headset. The balls on the bottom are the usual normal 3/16" size. The top ones are a
diminutive undersized 5/32". You have most likely reversed them.

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

Damn! You are one smart guy.

Thanks

Charles

A Muzi wrote:

> "Charles Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > The bearing cover that ... covers the top bearing doesn't go down as far as it should. The
> > cutaway drawing in the front of the installation manual shows it going down over top race, as
> > you would expect.
> >
> > I put in the bearing the right way, balls up, upper cone, then the plastic adjuster with the
> > notched side up. When I attempt to get the bearing cover down over the top race something won't
> > let it.
> >
> > This is 1 inch if that makes a difference.
>
> I had the same experience a few years ago the first time I installed a new sample of the current
> Campagnolo headset. The balls on the bottom are the usual normal 3/16" size. The top ones are a
> diminutive undersized 5/32". You have most likely reversed them.
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

--
Catamaran racing is like being a kid: Wide Eyes, Big Smile, Wet Bottom

synergic-<< The cutaway drawing in the front of the installation manual shows it going down over top
race, as you would expect.

I put in the bearing the right way, balls up, upper cone, then the plastic adjuster with the notched
side up. When I attempt to get the bearing cover down over the top race something won't let it.

Smaller balls on the top??

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Status
Not open for further replies.